Canadian soldier charged in comrade's shooting death

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
The military's National Investigation Service has charged a Canadian soldier in the shooting death of Master Cpl. Jeffrey Walsh in Afghanistan.

More...

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Dang...where is that eaglesmack guy?? I wish he was here to read this!

I just got wind of this.

So now this Canadian soldier will pay the price for the ignorance of everyone who called for the USAF pilots heads to be on a pike.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
IMHO, a manslaughter charge in this incident is off the edge.

I know nothing of military practices, but I will assume the man in question was supposed to have his weapon fully loaded, with a round chambered, safety on.

The safety on this type of weapon is a lever that needs to be pused through a 90 degree arc to move from safe to fire, at least in the civilian versions. That could happen inadvertantly quite easily in an armoured vehicle bouncing over rough terrain, with the rifle brushing up against the soldiers or anything else. I have seen S&W revolvers come out of holsters fully cocked after a ride down a highway here in NB. The guard never touched the piece.

Once the safety is off, it requires a light tug on the trigger to fire the weapon. Unlike what you see on TV, professionals should be VERY well versed in Rule Three: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL THE SIGHTS ARE ON YOUR TARGET! I know my people get drilled on it ad nauseum.

But triggers do get tugged by other things.......gear etc.

I'd like to know what this guy said to the MPs in his interogations.

Even a violation of the sancrosanct Rule Three hardly rates a manslaughter charge.....IMHO.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
IMHO, a manslaughter charge in this incident is off the edge.

I know nothing of military practices, but I will assume the man in question was supposed to have his weapon fully loaded, with a round chambered, safety on.

The safety on this type of weapon is a lever that needs to be pused through a 90 degree arc to move from safe to fire, at least in the civilian versions. That could happen inadvertantly quite easily in an armoured vehicle bouncing over rough terrain, with the rifle brushing up against the soldiers or anything else. I have seen S&W revolvers come out of holsters fully cocked after a ride down a highway here in NB. The guard never touched the piece.

Once the safety is off, it requires a light tug on the trigger to fire the weapon. Unlike what you see on TV, professionals should be VERY well versed in Rule Three: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL THE SIGHTS ARE ON YOUR TARGET! I know my people get drilled on it ad nauseum.

But triggers do get tugged by other things.......gear etc.

I'd like to know what this guy said to the MPs in his interogations.

Even a violation of the sancrosanct Rule Three hardly rates a manslaughter charge.....IMHO.

I was in the Marines and it takes hardly any pressure to pull a trigger. All it takes in one lapse in judgement or situational awareness and you have an accident.

In my 4 years as a Marine I saw three accidental discharges. None of them caused injury. In two of the incidents the Marines were charged and the third was in Panama while on patrol and no one heard it except my squad. We kept our mouths shut so the kid wouldn't get in trouble.