Pickton trial jury pool to narrow from 600 to 13

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
About 600 potential jurors for the multiple murder trial of Robert Pickton have been summonsed for selection on Saturday by the province's court services branch - four times the number sent out for a regular trial.

More...

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
About 600 potential jurors for the multiple murder trial of Robert Pickton have been summonsed for selection on Saturday by the province's court services branch - four times the number sent out for a regular trial.

More...

Gee, I wonder if he's guilty or it was actually his brother and the bikers that set up the "misfit" brother to take the fall? If this Pickton goes down, then the biker brother gets all the millions in property. Hmmmmm, I wonder.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/12/08/canada.serial.killings.ap/index.html

This is one ugly story. When you think about how, in the US, the mothers of missing daughters have commanded the media to draw attention to their missing children along with the millions of dollars in police funds spent on those singular cases and then we read this:

"Constable Catherine Galliford of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Joint Task Force told a news conference in March 2002, just after Pickton was arrested and public criticism had peaked, that police resources were limited and the magnitude of the case overwhelming.

Pickton and his brother, Dave, used to throw parties at the hog farm in a barn they had dubbed the "Piggy Palace," telling neighbors they were raising money for charity. Investigators, however, have said the parties were drunken raves with prostitutes and plenty of drugs and booze."

The article certainly strikes a chord, but is Dave really completely outside of this? didn't know anything about it? probably organized the parties with his friends and political neighbours (remember the connections to politicians on the invitation list) yet he didn't notice when his brother disappeared into his trailer with somewhere between 26 and 62 guests or prostitutes that were never seen again? He didn't notice a smell, didn't notice their personal effects in the trailer, didn't hear about the girl that ran down the driveway onto the road and was picked up by an innocent bystander that drove her back to town? He saw nothing? He knew nothing? He had nothing to do with it? Really? I'm not convinced that the smart guy, party organizer had no clue what his brothr was up to and I'm not convinced that the smart guy didn't participate a little.

Why did Robert Pickton pick up the girls from the prostitute district and take them to the piggy party? Was he perhaps trying to please his brother and friends? He's supposed to be the dumb one, the shy one, the misfit, the guy that didn't seem normal ... yet his brother noticed nothing ... knowing that Robert was a 'bit off' all his life?

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Since Dave Pickton was so cooperative in the investigation of his brother (when he wasn't biking around the contenant), I suppose he must be completely innocent.

Even though everything that happened at the Pickton Quonset Piggy Dance was arranged by Dave and his biker friends, they are pretty comfortable having Robert take the fall for the 67 women that mysteriously disappeared into the trailer on the driveway ... and they saw and knew nothing. Are we supposed to believe this? Does anyone else find this a little hard to believe?

Dave and his buddies announced parties in the Quonset and even issued invitations to local politicians; who were known to attend the parties. Just before the parties, Robert went downtown and picked up a few girls for the party. During the course of the evening, often one girl ended up in the trailer with Robert. Are we to believe that Robert was such a great catch on the dance floor that women followed him to a desserted trailer? Perhaps it was Dave or his friends that enticed the girls to come out of the quonset for a kiss, a promise, a meeting in the trailer and what happened then?

I don't believe that Robert is the only person behind this. Leaving his brother on the street is as good as guarenteeing that this will happen again ... with another dumb blond or mentally challenged guy.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Gee, I wonder if he's guilty or it was actually his brother and the bikers that set up the "misfit" brother to take the fall? If this Pickton goes down, then the biker brother gets all the millions in property. Hmmmmm, I wonder.

There won't be any millions of property left after the victims families are done with him.

I feel sympathy for the jury - they say it may take a year. $20/day for the first two months, $100/day after that. To have to listen to the evidence will be awful.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
There won't be any millions of property left after the victims families are done with him.

I feel sympathy for the jury - they say it may take a year. $20/day for the first two months, $100/day after that. To have to listen to the evidence will be awful.
I wouldn't have the stomach for a trial like that.