Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
This is a sad day for Canada...

Or should I say the 51th State of America

Why Canada why?

Harper ruled his minority like a dictator

Now with a majority he can pass any law he likes

You reap what you sow

It is called "democracy". The people are always right. Even when they are wrong.

In 40 years of voting, this is the first time I have been on the clear winning side.

It feels good.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Well the good news about conservatives is their job is to save you money. Everything else about them - not so much.

Their fiscal policy will be very highly scrutinized this time around.

I'm hoping that we can some day give people some more social freedoms in addition to just promising them money. As an example, it would be nice to see if this government can give people the freedom to at least enjoy their drug of choice as well as their gun freedoms.

We really can have both, and I hope Harper can see that fiscal policy isn't the only policy. More importantly, I hope Canadians can realize that as well. It seems right now that people care primarily about money, and that is a shame.

Last edited:

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Well I have to congratulate the Conservative party for a well-run campaign.
It was a well-controlled event with strong-arm thugs pushing around voters who didn’t think like them.

Doing more photo-ops than answering questions.

With a majority we lose a long gun registry, abortion rights, a government health care system for a two tier one and doctors able to extra bill patients.

Same sex marriage will be reversed and private jails will be built faster.

As Canadians we will have to assume the position and cough real hard and take it until the next election in 2014.

Again congratulations to Stephen Harper and his Conservative party.

YaYiP

Feb 24, 2011
Hamilton
Am I the only one that thinks its sad the money is the biggest issue we decide on?

Wealth does not equate happiness...
(side joke: ...no, but it buys a seadoo. Ever see anyone sad on a seadoo?)
In fact we have 20 times more material possessions then we had in the 50's yet studies show we are not as happy. Way more stressed out but not happier.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
With a majority we lose a long gun registry, abortion rights, a government health care system for a two tier one and doctors able to extra bill patients.

Really?

Do you really think they'll be that stringent on abortion rights, healthcare and same sex marriage? And what about drugs?

I mean, I know they might be a bit backwards with civil rights, but they can't be this stupid?

Am I the only one that thinks its sad the money is the biggest issue we decide on?

Wealth does not equate happiness...
(side joke: ...no, but it buys a seadoo. Ever see anyone sad on a seadoo?)
In fact we have 20 times more material possessions then we had in the 50's yet studies show we are not as happy. Way more stressed out but not happier.

It is sad, but it's the lie that most voters are keeping secret. While they walk around as honest and empathetic Canadians - the truth is that they care more about their wallet.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Really?

Do you really think they'll be that stringent on abortion rights, healthcare and same sex marriage? And what about drugs?

I mean, I know they might be a bit backwards with civil rights, but they can't be this stupid?

They won't touch the social issue in my opinion, that would undue all the progress they made courting 905 and 416 votes, he wouldn't have a majority without the Ontario seats he picked up.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
No. But that won't stop you or liebraldud from keeping the fearmongering going.

You have to admit though, while conservatives may have convinced the public they have some fiscal credibility.. but what about social conservatism?

Canadians are anything but socially conservative. Shouldn't they at least ammend that part of their platform?

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010

None of that sounds good. If Canada repeals gay marriage, that would blow my mind. I guess i'm asking you, really?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Since the Conservatives have the majority I will join the Conservative party just to see what they are doing

None of that sounds good. If Canada repeals gay marriage, that would blow my mind. I guess i'm asking you, really?

Gay marriage, blow your mind?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Well I have to congratulate the Conservative party for a well-run campaign.
It was a well-controlled event with strong-arm thugs pushing around voters who didn’t think like them.

Doing more photo-ops than answering questions.

As Canadians we will have to assume the position and cough real hard and take it until the next election in 2014.

Again congratulations to Stephen Harper and his Conservative party.

Geez, liberalman..........and you started this out so well. :smile:

The long gun registry is toast
Abortion is not on the books
We already have a two-tier health care system in Canada - right here in BC and no the doctors aren't able extra bill. Patients have the choice of waiting for hospital care or going to a privately run clinic - either way our Medicare pays.
Same sex marriages are safe
I don't know anything about 'private' jails.

But thank you for your congrats. :smile:

YaYiP

Feb 24, 2011
Hamilton
Ya, because i have to feed my family.

Those big corporate tax cuts and oil industry loans and subsidiaries
That old trickle down effect
Yep that feeds families...

To what point? At what point is there an issue more important?

Ok so you feed them now, but Harper and his generous dealings with big business keep taking more. Feed your family now and starve your nation later...

or

Buckle the belt tighter, bear down and let us change together
For our kids, for our community, for our country, for our species and planet