Wait.. Did Liberals Just Call Themselves "Trudeau-esque"?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
With new platform, Liberals chart course back to Trudeauville

Whether he succeeds depends on whether you believe that Canada should return to its Trudeauesque past of increased social spending paid for by higher taxes on corporations and the wealthy, or continue the Conservative emphasis on keeping taxes low while balancing the books.

The choice couldn’t be simpler, or more stark.

The Liberal platform seeks to restore and expand the social safety net by investing more than $5.5-billion annually in education, child care, home care, the environment and other priorities, to be paid for by hiking corporate taxes and taxing a portion of income from wealthy Canadians who purchase stock options at below market value.

In an important revelation, the Liberals now intend not only to scrap the F-35 fighter program, but to defer replacing the aging fleet of CF-18s until “it is necessary.”

And while the Liberals promise to sharply reduce the federal deficit, they have no immediate plans to eliminate it.

This represents the antithesis of Conservative priorities of balancing the books and continuing to lower business taxes while preserving military procurement as a core spending priority.

With new platform, Liberals chart course back to Trudeauville - The Globe and Mail

Well, whatever they want to call themselves. If they keep on their promise of scrapping those jets, I am definitely on board.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
You would vote for a party strictly on the jet issue?

How do the liberals define when it's necessary to replace the jets? Do we wait until they start falling out of the sky like the SeaKing's?

Haven't the liberals been railing on the conservatives about the deficit for years now? Yet, they have no intention of lowering it, probably expanding.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
New term - new promises. If they can really keep on that promise, I would definitely consider changing my vote.

This isn't wholesale bribery, like cutting taxes. It comes with the added bonus of changing the moral landscape on military intervention. Which if you haven't noticed, we have no qualms about electing killers to save a buck.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Anything after: "I'm not him" is a bribe. Where were all these goodies BEFORE the election call?

I think that's the problem with both of them ... not enough choo-choo for the train

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
With new platform, Liberals chart course back to Trudeauville

Whether he succeeds depends on whether you believe that Canada should return to its Trudeauesque past of increased social spending paid for by higher taxes on corporations and the wealthy, or continue the Conservative emphasis on keeping taxes low while balancing the books.

The choice couldn’t be simpler, or more stark.

The Liberal platform seeks to restore and expand the social safety net by investing more than $5.5-billion annually in education, child care, home care, the environment and other priorities, to be paid for by hiking corporate taxes and taxing a portion of income from wealthy Canadians who purchase stock options at below market value.

In an important revelation, the Liberals now intend not only to scrap the F-35 fighter program, but to defer replacing the aging fleet of CF-18s until “it is necessary.”

And while the Liberals promise to sharply reduce the federal deficit, they have no immediate plans to eliminate it.

This represents the antithesis of Conservative priorities of balancing the books and continuing to lower business taxes while preserving military procurement as a core spending priority.

With new platform, Liberals chart course back to Trudeauville - The Globe and Mail

Well, whatever they want to call themselves. If they keep on their promise of scrapping those jets, I am definitely on board.

The point is NOT that they have decided to dump the F-35......

It is that they have decided to dump fighter purchase altogether!

Do you want to be a nation?????

Or a complete lackey to the Americans, a sort of helpless, slightly retarded, and obnoxious little brother........that requires protection despite the fact he constantly bites your ankles..................

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The point is NOT that they have decided to dump the F-35......

It is that they have decided to dump fighter purchase altogether!

Do you want to be a nation?????

Or a complete lackey to the Americans, a sort of helpless, slightly retarded, and obnoxious little brother........that requires protection despite the fact he constantly bites your ankles..................
Protection from what/who? Nobody is going to invade a country bordering on the US. It would be suicide. Nobody is that stupid, not even China. The only reason we are buying those jets is so we can participate in invasions of sovereign nations along side our psychopathic neighbour. I know that gets your gonads all aquiver, but we don't need that kind of BS. All we are doing right now by being in Afghanistan and Libya is painting a target on ourselves.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Protection from what/who? Nobody is going to invade a country bordering on the US. It would be suicide. Nobody is that stupid, not even China. The only reason we are buying those jets is so we can participate in invasions of sovereign nations along side our psychopathic neighbour. I know that gets your gonads all aquiver, but we don't need that kind of BS. All we are doing right now by being in Afghanistan and Libya is painting a target on ourselves.

Please, please tell me where you bought your crystal ball.

We are talking about the next 30 to 50 years.

Ever hear of China? It is a not-so little place across the Pacific.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

I hear they are a great nation these days because of all of their war-mongering, lol.

According to that late-night ad, aren't they Abe Lincoln fanboys? roflmao

Colpy ol' boy, you really need some Java.

Has anyone mentioned that taxes are still high and the books aren't even close to anything that could in some way be called balanced?

But teh economy is so good right now!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Man, I would have to say that China coming over all that ocean, looking to hit Canada right off the B.C. Coast would really make the US nervous. Not to mention that since we're a NATO country the US, Britain, France, Germany would probably have something to say about it. If for nothing else, getting the spoils for themselves.

The suggestion is idiotic to day the least and if anyone were to invade Canada it would be the US, or perhaps Russia in the far North. China, almost as likely as a Kenyan invasion.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

I believe I already mentioned China. All those jets will be is guns for hire, escalating our role as mercenaries for the military/industrial complex. And don't give me that crap about protecting and spreading freedom and democracy. If you believe that, I have a bridge...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Man, I would have to say that China coming over all that ocean, looking to hit Canada right off the B.C. Coast would really make the US nervous. Not to mention that since we're a NATO country the US, Britain, France, Germany would probably have something to say about it. If for nothing else, getting the spoils for themselves.

The suggestion is idiotic to day the least and if anyone were to invade Canada it would be the US, or perhaps Russia in the far North. China, almost as likely as a Kenyan invasion.

You too can see 30 or 40 years into the future???

NATO is a dying organization.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Probably the clearest lesson of history.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Probably the clearest lesson of history.
History should have taught us not to go around poking sleeping bears with a sharp stick. All we are doing right now is pissing people off. If we want to have a peaceful future we should put down our sharp stick and mind our own business. The Yanks like stirring up hornet nests. We should not be encouraging them.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Yeah I can. Just consider Colpy this little scenario I've made just for you.

Yo have a guy who lives right next door to you and he can make any gun or ammunition you could ever
imagine. Nice guy to, agrees with your politics mostly, invites you over to eat BBQ a couple of times
in the summer, takes care of his place and family without asking for help from others.

Now a gang from across town are breaking into his garage just as you're arriving home from the GUNS GUNS GUNS Super Store with a few new hand guns and some bullets for them, are you going to mind your own business? OR do you nut up and shoot those chip toothed ccok suckers balls off for trying to kill your buddy and steal all his junk?

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Let's just put these arguments side by side: we shouldn't have a stronger military because the US will protect us and we're only buying these jets to help the US military.