Ban kirpan from Parliament: Bloc

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
A kirpan is defined as a ceremonial four-inch curved dagger. The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary defines a dagger as “a sharp pointed knife for stabbing”.

Would we allowed to wear "a sharp pointed knife for stabbing" in all public places? us

In our school they have removed all religious symbols and prayers, even the children are not allowed to wear a crucifix around their neck because it could be used as a weapon. However, some are allowed to wear a dagger! I don't care how they dress it up, it is a knife.

It is worthwhile reading the comments to this article. Too many people are indifferent to what is going on and it is nice to see there are still some that care.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
They are going to have to understand , It's our country it's our rules .........period!!!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I absolutely completely and whole-heartedly believe that every Sikh in Canada has every right to carry a kirpan on his side everywhere he goes........as it is part of the foundation of their religious philosophy to never be disarmed.

And I fully support their attempts to make the carrying of the kirpan completely legal everywhere.......

As soon as I have the right to carry my loaded S&W Model 66 .357 Magnum revolver on my hip everywhere, because it is part of the foundation of my political philosophy that I have the right to bear arms.......and that right is a hell of a lot older than Sikhism.

Until then, tough luck boys.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Get that head crushing mace out of there while you're at it.

Head crushing mace? Did you mean vises? Do MP's actually carry a head crushing vise into Parliament as a religious artifact.

All seriousness aside, this is just testing the limits of a groups agenda, just like the motorcycle helmet sikh, just like the Sikh that would not wear a helmet on the grenade range. He was a nice guy by the way, he didn't want to be there, he was sent.

It's two tier and it's unacceptable.

What's next? Letting the Jews bring their throwing Stars of David into Parliament?

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I absolutely completely and whole-heartedly believe that every Sikh in Canada has every right to carry a kirpan on his side everywhere he goes........as it is part of the foundation of their religious philosophy to never be disarmed.

And I fully support their attempts to make the carrying of the kirpan completely legal everywhere.......

As soon as I have the right to carry my loaded S&W Model 66 .357 Magnum revolver on my hip everywhere, because it is part of the foundation of my political philosophy that I have the right to bear arms.......and that right is a hell of a lot older than Sikhism.

Smart man, taking a gun to a knife fight.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Would we allowed to wear "a sharp pointed knife for stabbing" in all public places? us

In our school they have removed all religious symbols and prayers, even the children are not allowed to wear a crucifix around their neck because it could be used as a weapon. However, some are allowed to wear a dagger! I don't care how they dress it up, it is a knife.

It is worthwhile reading the comments to this article. Too many people are indifferent to what is going on and it is nice to see there are still some that care.

You're not allowed to wear a crucifix in school? Wow. I'm glad I live in the Maritimes.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Well, if a Kirpan is a religious symbol..........a symbol......wear a rubber one.
Symbol don't have to be made of metal do they?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Kirpans have identifiable votes that can be taken to ballot boxes. The talk in BC is of blocs like the Indo-Canadians for the recent leadership contests. Whites are all the same it seems, there is a tougher time sorting whites out. So our political system is quite responsive to certain groups-ethnic groups, that can get out the vote. Ethnic groups, which are racial groups, are more focused and can get the response they want. Kirpans had a use in India, but not in Canada.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Kirpans have identifiable votes that can be taken to ballot boxes. The talk in BC is of blocs like the Indo-Canadians for the recent leadership contests. Whites are all the same it seems, there is a tougher time sorting whites out. So our political system is quite responsive to certain groups-ethnic groups, that can get out the vote. Ethnic groups, which are racial groups, are more focused and can get the response they want. Kirpans had a use in India, but not in Canada.

I don't think so,
the recent house election in the United States saw a record of 60% "Whites" voting Republican. Even in B.C. electoral history, I would argue that Ujjal Dosanjh becoming Premier ended up alienating a lot of rural NDP families who weren't comfortable with having an Indo-Canadian Premier and thus the NDP did not recover.

Be immature and call it racism but it's another to underestimate the formation of voting blocs organized along racial lines. It's one thing when your contestants are all whites and Grandma Dorris and Sally Soccer Mom think everything is honky-dory, but it's another when elections themselves become racially polarized during or after the election.

The idea that "White People are Apathetic and will vote 50/50 and the minorities will win us the election" hasn't hold much salt, it certainly hasn't done much good for the Liberal Party of Canada.

Last edited:

spartining

Feb 10, 2011
A kinfe is still a knife no matter what cute name you decide to call it. I was born in Canada(sure my distant relatives probably were not and it is Native North American land but that is another topic that isn't WEAPON related) Anyway, in Canada I am NOT allowed to carry a knife over a certian length or double edged-that's for hunting humans and nothing else. Finally someone(Quebec)is standing up againt persons who are using whatever excuses they can find to break the law and not be charged with an offence. If I went to the punjab region and were female do you think their gov't would say I don't need to wear a burka like ALL the female reporters I see on the news who have to wear some kind of cover over their head to stay legal? What if I broke some other kind of law in that area? Usually persons who break ANY law get hung or body parts removed. You live in this country we call Canada and want to stay legal then don't break the law. If you don't like the laws in Canada then go back where whatever it may be, like carrying a weapon for hunting humans, is legal. Handguns for example-illegal to have in Canada, but is o.k. in the U.S.A. So if you were from the U.S.A. and always carried a handgun on your person then moved to Canada and still carried it, the police would charge you with something and take your weapon. you would have to leave your handgun behind to stay legal and if you didn't like it then you would have to go home to carry that weapon. Do you think the Canadian gov't would let people from the U.S.A. break the law and carry a handgun if the clamed it was for religeous purposes? Money from the U.S.A. says 'in god we trust' and they are also a 'melting pot' meaning you move to U.S.A. then you leave your old country behind and become a citizen of the U.S.A., so in a sense their constitution is part of their religeon, and the right to bear arms(carry a handgun), is a religeous practice. Would Canada be discriminating against a minorty if people from the U.S.of A. told our gov't they are allowed to carry handguns for whatever reason and our gov't said 'No you're not, go home where it's legal to carry a weapon"? Why is it diffrent for other persons from other parts of the would to carry weapons in Canada then? Sure in Canada we welcome the multi-cultural lifestyle, but where do we draw the line? BTW: spousel rape is not allowed in Canada and the same religeous excuse was used to try and make that legal in this country like that carrying a weapon for hunting humans was.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I don't think so,
the recent house election in the United States saw a record of 60% "Whites" voting Republican. Even in B.C. electoral history, I would argue that Ujjal Dosanjh becoming Premier ended up alienating a lot of rural NDP families who weren't comfortable with having an Indo-Canadian Premier and thus the NDP did not recover.

Be immature and call it racism but it's another to underestimate the formation of voting blocs organized along racial lines. It's one thing when your contestants are all whites and Grandma Dorris and Sally Soccer Mom think everything is honky-dory, but it's another when elections themselves become racially polarized during or after the election.

The idea that "White People are Apathetic and will vote 50/50 and the minorities will win us the election" hasn't hold much salt, it certainly hasn't done much good for the Liberal Party of Canada.

Hence the boatloads of refugees for future Con fodder.

But, as per the OP; the kirpan is supposed to be sown into the undergarments so that it cannot be readily to hand. Whether this is done or not, dunno.

I know we look like a bunch of bent over saps.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Since when does western culture have any bearing on political correctness?

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Did you see on the news how many million dollars it cost to sort out that boat load of uninvited "refugees"/ That's my money and I'm not impressed.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
No it's a weapon and no weapons in school, court or parliament. Or airplanes. Buses ok but you have to keep it in the sheath even if you are crazy and the voices tell you not to.