Beating up Norway real good

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hopefully they are on the way to GOLD!!!

Yeah, I think with an 8/0 they should just be given the gold now. I've been trying to figure out just what the complete rigmarole is they have to go through to win gold. How many more games do they have to win? Excuse my stupidity but I'm lost.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Twelve teams enter the round robin and play each other once. I believe the top six teams then play each other in a quarter final and a semi final. the best two teams play for the gold. The winner gets the gold. The other gets the silver. The next two teams play for the bronze.
If that isn't right it's damn close.......;-):lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Twelve teams enter the round robin and play each other once. I believe the top six teams then play each other in a quarter final and a semi final. the best two teams play for the gold. The winner gets the gold. The other gets the silver. The next two teams play for the bronze.

they are split into three sections, and they play within that
section through round robin, then move on to the elimination games, where they play cross over games,
then, a loss and your out.

If you go into web page for the hockey tournament, they will have the complete
format all set out, and you can follow it right through.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Thanks for the information #Juan.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Can't find the Russia-Latvia game on the CTV link.

Anyway Canada started slow against Norway and it took them a while to outskate/wear down the squareheads but the lines really started to click halfway through the 2nd period.

Luongo had very little work but did you see how close he came to putting the puck in his own net right @ the end of the game?

He's a real adventure outside his crease.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Can't find the Russia-Latvia game on the CTV link.

Anyway Canada started slow against Norway and it took them a while to outskate/wear down the squareheads but the lines really started to click halfway through the 2nd period.

Luongo had very little work but did you see how close he came to putting the puck in his own net right @ the end of the game?

He's a real adventure outside his crease.

He also skated 40 feet from his net to field a puck and pass it to one of the forwards. In this game he was likely bored from the lack of action

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'll keep my expectations low for Canada, we aren't the only ones who can play this game.

No, we aren't the only ones who can play this game but we do have a lot of skilled players and the game is entertaining to watch. I think we can be as optimistic as any country with a team here.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
No, we aren't the only ones who can play this game but we do have a lot of skilled players and the game is entertaining to watch. I think we can be as optimistic as any country with a team here.

True, but people here have a swagger when it comes to hockey and I think it's unwarranted especially given our record in the Olympic games.

I will cheer them of course but I won't be shocked if we lose nor will I spew hate at our athletes if they don't bring home gold.

We don't live in Don Cherry's perfect world anymore, Europeans and Russians can play our game well.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

You bet! :smile:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
True, but people here have a swagger when it comes to hockey and I think it's unwarranted especially given our record in the Olympic games.

I will cheer them of course but I won't be shocked if we lose nor will I spew hate at our athletes if they don't bring home gold.

We don't live in Don Cherry's perfect world anymore, Europeans and Russians can play our game well.

We can still swagger a little. There are more kids playing organized hockey in Canada than any other country in the world. I'm sure that one day China will produce a perfect team of automatons who will beat everyone, but hockey in Canada has been unpaid coaches getting up at five thirty in the morning to lace up twenty pairs of skates and teaching kids the finer points of the game. I did it for almost twenty years and so did thousands of others, for love of the game.