Beware of statisics, they can be very misleading

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I saw on Global news tonight when unemployment in Alberta had risen more than any other province in Canada, Calgary up about 300% and Edmonton up 200%. People tend to just gobble that crap right up. Well a year ago in Calgary and Edmonton they had so many jobs they had to import people so obviously unemployment was close to zero, so if there are now 3 people unemployed in Calgary then yes unemployment is up 300%. Figures can lie and liars can figure.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I saw on Global news tonight when unemployment in Alberta had risen more than any other province in Canada, Calgary up about 300% and Edmonton up 200%. People tend to just gobble that crap right up. Well a year ago in Calgary and Edmonton they had so many jobs they had to import people so obviously unemployment was close to zero, so if there are now 3 people unemployed in Calgary then yes unemployment is up 300%. Figures can lie and liars can figure.

You figure, JLM. Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;-);-)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

....obviously you don't live in Calgary.

Last edited by a moderator:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I have heard JLM that there is little employment in Calgary at the moment. Things in Alberta have dropped off just like in the rest of Canada.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have heard JLM that there is little employment in Calgary at the moment. Things in Alberta have dropped off just like in the rest of Canada.

That part is very true, but that is not my point as another (less gracious) poster who also missed the point pointed out. Using percentages to indicate change is absolutely useless when the starting number is close to zero. I know there are thousands unemployed in Alberta.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Actually, if unemployment was 1, and it's up 300%, that would mean there were 4 people unemployed now.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Actually, if unemployment was 1, and it's up 300%, that would mean there were 4 people unemployed now.

You're getting it. Unemployment was at zero in Alberta a year ago, they were importing people and paying waiters $20 an hour.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
There were close to 15000 more people unemployed in Calgary last month. 15000 more, that's a far cry from 3 or 4.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The figures quoted below make my point, a far cry from the 200-300% reported on Global news

"Employment in Alberta decreased by 15,000 in October, pushing the unemployment rate up 0.4 percentage points to 7.5%. Since October 2008, Alberta's employment has fallen by 3.3% (-68,000), the steepest rate of decline among all provinces."

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
what you did was minimize unemployment in Alberta.......... "because 2 years ago Alberta had jobs galore, then any unemployment now is minimal and any "rates" reported are sensationalism"

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

I doubt very much that people who are looking for work presently in Calgary and Edmonton care very much about the job market a year ago. Talking about labour market conditions that don't exist, that is the misleading part.

It just highlights the volatility in the Alberta economy, which is not insulated from the world-wide economy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
what you did was minimize unemployment in Alberta.......... "because 2 years ago Alberta had jobs galore, then any unemployment now is minimal and any "rates" reported are sensationalism"

Are you talking to me? I didn't minimize anything, I relayed what was on the news.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Are you talking to me? I didn't minimize anything, I relayed what was on the news.

Yes, I'm talking to you, and you "relayed" more than what was on the news. Your little "editorial" is where the minimizing came in.

Well a year ago in Calgary and Edmonton they had so many jobs they had to import people so obviously unemployment was close to zero, so if there are now 3 people unemployed in Calgary then yes unemployment is up 300%.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes, I'm talking to you, and you "relayed" more than what was on the news. Your little "editorial" is where the minimizing came in.

You're full of horsefeathers- I was just illustrating how ridiculous the reporting was.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Guess I'll head to my statistics tutorial now. Time to cook up some more misleading data! :roll:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No, the riduclousness was introduced by you with the 0 to 3 figures.

WRONG again Einstein.................the "0" was what was reported a year ago, the 3 is what you get when the "300%" is applied. Do you have the mentality to absorb that fairly simple concept?