Ignatieff snubs Royalty

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"When Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff meets Prince Charles for talks next week in Ottawa, the opposition leader may have to do some fast talking to explain the decidedly anti-monarchist views he expressed in 1992, at the time of Charles's separation from Diana, Princess of Wales.
In an article published in the U.K.'s Observer newspaper and later reprinted in The Gazette of Montreal, Mr. Ignatieff -- then a leading British based writer and broadcaster -- argued that the future of the monarchy looked "decidedly bleak" and that it was time for the British public to "regretfully but firmly decide enough is enough," and demand a republican-style government."

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2182691#ixzz0Vu45RsR4

Does anyone really think, anyone is going to remember drivel from Ignatieff 17 years ago?

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I bet he wiggles around like Sir Joke when he's confronted by what he said. :D

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
JLM;1169032 [URL="http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2182691#ixzz0Vu45RsR4" said:
id=2182691#ixzz0Vu45RsR4[/URL]

Does anyone really think, anyone is going to remember drivel from Ignatieff 17 years ago?

Does anyone remember drivel from him yesterday??

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I fail to see where he has any thing to apologize for. He stated his opinion and that of millions of other Canadians. How do we know chuckie does not agree with him, anybody ever ask?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If I were Iggy, I would ask Chucky what his opinion of the usefulness of the monarchy before he asks me anything.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Nearly two decades have passed since then, so I would hope that Mr. Michael Ignatieff M.P. (Etobicoke Lakeshore), the Leader of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition, has had ample opportunity to learn more about the advantages of having a representative parliamentary democracy best served by constitutional monarchy. It is certainly inappropriate for the Leader of the Opposition to rebuke the monarch but, fortunately, that isn’t the case here; I don’t believe that Mr. Ignatieff has done so during his Canadian public life.

On that note, though, I have to wonder what topics the Leader of the Opposition would possibly have to discuss with Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales K.G., G.C.B., K.T., P.C., O.M., A.K., Q.S.O., S.O.M., A.D.C.(P.), and The Duchess of Cornwall.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
That comment would have been made from a USA chair...would it not? That's Iggy alright-whatever suits the current flow from whoever is paying his Salary or whatever works best to further his chances.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Who the hell is this Mr Ignatieff to tell the British people to get rid of the monarchy? The vast majority of the British people wish to keep the monarchy. And the last time Britain was a republic it was also a dictatorship. So Mr Ignatieff should butt out. He can campaign for Canada to get rid of the monarchy all he likes, but he should keep his nose out of British affairs.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Who the hell is this Mr Ignatieff to tell the British people to get rid of the monarchy? The vast majority of the British people wish to keep the monarchy. And the last time Britain was a republic it was also a dictatorship. So Mr Ignatieff should butt out. He can campaign for Canada to get rid of the monarchy all he likes, but he should keep his nose out of British affairs.

For once Blackleaf has something useful to say...

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Then how about keeping poodles noses out of our affairs. We don't want the monarchy. It is an embarrassment to be a colony in this century.