Has Iggy lost his Groove?

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Iggy has got to be doing some very serious calculating these days.

On other thread about a Liberal forced election this spring I predicted that Iggy would not have the "stones" to force an election this spring or this fall.
50% right so far.

The question becomes did Iggy pass up a prime opportunity to unseat the perennially unlikable and frigid Harper?
Probably so I figure.
Scott Reid advised Iggy that he had a small window of opportunity to trigger an early election.
New party leaders always get a short bounce in the polls because they are fresh and new and seem different and interesting.
Then the bloom fades in the public's eyes and they become just another expedient politician, just like all the others.
So now the Libs have once again dropped in the polls to slightly under the Cons.
And Iggy gets to do the trained seal thing once again when the house sits.
That's gotta start to chafe.

David Miller, the left wing mayor of Toronto is panning out to be a total disaster.
Double digit property tax increases and garbage as far as the eye can see.
He is panning out to be something like the old Bob Rae except on a municipal level. And when the left wing melts down in the 403 that could end up hurting Iggy in more than a few Ontario federal riding's.

Next up is McSquinty.
Looks like massive provincial tax increases coming down the pipeline for the folks in Ontario.
This harmonized sales tax thing looks like a great opportunity for the provincial Libs to stick it to the taxpayer well and truly.
Its true, of course, that Flaherty advised McSquinty to harmonize taxes in Ontario, but hey, its McSquinty's baby.
Anyway who in their right mind would believe anything Flaherty said?
McSquinty is gonna have to wear increased unemployment and increased taxes in Ontario.
And that too may shift a few undecided votes towards the federal Cons in Ontario.

And Iggy cannot afford to loose a single seat in the Liberal heartland.

South of us in the US, Obama is dropping like a stone in the popularity polls.
From an 80% approval rate he has dropped to slightly less than 50%.
Personally I think that it was unavoidable as Americans had completely unrealistic expectations about Obama.
The guy just didn't have a magic wand and its not fair to expect him to snap his fingers and fix a world wide recession.
So reality sets in south of line.
And now Obama has rammed through cap and trade which he freely admits is going to result in large cost of living and tax increases for Americans.
And its definitely designed to totally screw Canada.
So I guess time will tell how the shift to the political left and potentially protectionist trade practices will pan out in the States.
But if the Obama administration increases taxes and does its best to welsh on trade agreements with Canada I do not see that working in Iggy's favour.
What with his great American connections and linkages and all.

On a national level Canada will probably have bottomed out recession wise and slowly be turning the corner towards better times.
Canadians will probably be resistant to turfing a PM who appears to be slowly leading us out of the the bad times.
And that could leave Iggy sitting high and dry for a long time.
Iggy's last little bout of fussing and squealing about a few Conservative budget details made Iggy look petulant and ineffective.
And polling confirmed it.

So how long can Iggy sit on his hands, errr flippers.
And let Bob Rae stick subtle little knives in his back on an ongoing basis?
And what about his six year pledge where he returns home to the States if denied
the crown?
Lord knows most Canadians would probably punt Harper in a flash given a decent alternative.
But as cold and isolated as Harper is I am just not sure Iggy is the man for the job either.

Trex

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

The numbers in parenthesis denote the change from the last Nanos Omnibus Survey completed in May 2009.
Committed Voters - Canada (N=781, MoE ± 3.5%, 19 times out of 20)

Liberal Party 36.3% (-1)
Conservative Party 32.2% (NC)
NDP 16.8% (+1)
BQ 9.8% (+2)
Green Party 4.8% (-2)
(*Note: Undecided 22.2%)

Harper Impression Question: Do you have a positive, somewhat positive, neutral, somewhat negative or negative impression of Stephen Harper?

Net Impression Scores*

Canada: -14.8
Atlantic Canada: -28.6
Quebec: -33.3
Ontario: -13.9
Prairies: +9.1
British Columbia: -8.4

Ignatieff Impression Question: Do you have a positive, somewhat positive, neutral, somewhat negative or negative impression of Michael Ignatieff?

Net Impression Scores*

Canada: +5.2
Atlantic Canada: +18.0
Quebec: +12.9
Ontario: +5.6
Prairies: -11.1
British Columbia: +4.5

*Note: The net impression score is calculated by subtracting those who have a negative impression from those who have a positive impression.

Feel free to forward this e-mail. Any use of the poll should identify the source as the latest "Nanos Poll."

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
The numbers in parenthesis denote the change from the last Nanos Omnibus Survey completed in May 2009.
Committed Voters - Canada (N=781, MoE ± 3.5%, 19 times out of 20)

Liberal Party 36.3% (-1)
Conservative Party 32.2% (NC)
NDP 16.8% (+1)
BQ 9.8% (+2)
Green Party 4.8% (-2)
(*Note: Undecided 22.2%)

Harper Impression Question: Do you have a positive, somewhat positive, neutral, somewhat negative or negative impression of Stephen Harper?

Net Impression Scores*

Canada: -14.8
Atlantic Canada: -28.6
Quebec: -33.3
Ontario: -13.9
Prairies: +9.1
British Columbia: -8.4

Ignatieff Impression Question: Do you have a positive, somewhat positive, neutral, somewhat negative or negative impression of Michael Ignatieff?

Net Impression Scores*

Canada: +5.2
Atlantic Canada: +18.0
Quebec: +12.9
Ontario: +5.6
Prairies: -11.1
British Columbia: +4.5

*Note: The net impression score is calculated by subtracting those who have a negative impression from those who have a positive impression.

Feel free to forward this e-mail. Any use of the poll should identify the source as the latest "Nanos Poll."

Its now late June.
Your polling is totally outdated.
Its around 34.8% Con
32 or so % Lib.
But whatever.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Michael Ignatieff did not lose his grove.

Harper came out with a report that was vague.

Michael did say that the people that he talked to said they don’t want a summer election so he came out with a statement that asked four questions and he said that if those questions weren’t answered he would not support the government on the budget estimates which would result in an election.

Harper did the right thing by contacting Ignatieff for a meeting that resulted in three meetings.

Michael got what he wanted and supported the government.

I have a feeling that Abousfian Abdelrazik was part of that deal but I can’t prove it.

Don’t you find it interesting that the Conservative government decided not to appeal the court’s decision that Abousfian Abdelrazik must come back to Canada?

This guy lived in a Canadian embassy in a foreign land because he name was on a no-fly list.

He just about came home earlier this year on a government ministerial passport but this was pulled at the last minute.

The no-fly list only applies to commercial aircraft.

The Harper government could have sent a military plane to pick him up but the conservative government does not hold a high value on Canadian Citizenship.

Michael Ignatieff played it right besides he doesn’t need to call an election because the Liberal party controls the Conservatives.

Harper will probably call the election himself like he did last time.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
To funny Liberalman.
Your boy is being toyed with and you spin it as if he is in charge.
I am not well versed in Ontario politics but Trex seemed to put forth
some objective opinions.I feel your dear Michael may be in for a bit
of a rough go.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
pgs

This is why the Conservative government wants an election desperately because in a minority government the opposition controls the government and because of the polls they know the Liberals won’t get a majority and then they can play the game.

The problem with the former leader Dion he didn’t know how to wheel and deal with the government so he looked weak but Ignatieff knows how to do this so the Conservative party has to deal and if they don’t the bills take a long time to go through commitees and the House of Commons and the Senate to get Royal Assent.

Now the Conservatives can pull the plug and go for another election but if they do this the Liberals will get a majority.

Ignatieff is brilliant and Harper knows it

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
pgs

This is why the Conservative government wants an election desperately because in a minority government the opposition controls the government ....

Finally a Liberal Party supporter that will accept blame for the massive deficit we expect this year. Most of the others claim it is Harper's fault.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I don't think either one of them is competent to run the country. Both are more interested in buying votes in Ontario and Quebec than doing what is right. Both are easterners so are suspect out here.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
But whatever?

The latest Nanos poll (June 17th to June 21st) has the Liberal edge at 36.3 % of likely voters, and the Conservatives at 32.2, with the impression scores still moving favorably for Mike(+5.2 %) and not so much for Steve (-14.8 %).

http://www.nanosresearch.com/library/polls/POLNAT-S09-T380E.pdf

Yes exactly whatever.

June 24-25

Angus-Reid:

Cons - 32%
Libs - 31%
NDP-18%
BQ- 11%
GRN- 7%

Source:Stalemate Continues in Canadian Federal Politics: Angus Reid Global Monitor

[FONT=&quot]EKOS: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

* Conservatives: 34.8 per cent.
* Liberals: 32.6 per cent.
* NDP: 14.3 per cent.
* Green: 9.3 per cent.
* BQ: 9 per cent.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story.....62509.html[/FONT]

Trex

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Yes exactly whatever.

June 24-25

Angus-Reid:

Cons - 32%
Libs - 31%
NDP-18%
BQ- 11%
GRN- 7%

Source:Stalemate Continues in Canadian Federal Politics: Angus Reid Global Monitor

[FONT=&quot]EKOS: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

* Conservatives: 34.8 per cent.
* Liberals: 32.6 per cent.
* NDP: 14.3 per cent.
* Green: 9.3 per cent.
* BQ: 9 per cent.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story.....62509.html[/FONT]

Trex

Polls are polls.. The Ekos poll, if you bother to read the fine print, was done by voice recognition or pushing a button..

And IF the poll was right both leaders are in trouble with Harper in deeper sh_t..

Job approval Stephen Harper:

• 34 per cent approve.
  • 46 per cent disapprove.
Michael Ignatieff:

• 32 per cent approve.
  • 37 per cent disapprove.
Source: EKOS

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I don't think either one of them is competent to run the country. Both are more interested in buying votes in Ontario and Quebec than doing what is right. Both are easterners so are suspect out here.
I agree with you for the most part. Harper knows he doesn't have us either (our island) so we get more phone calls and more mail than we ever wished for, asking us to contribute. They are not likely to get any financial support from anyone who has to give back the OAS pension because they receive a government pension. Give us our full pension and we'll consider voting for and financially supporting the Conservatives. We are conservatives but we will not give them any money until they give ours back. I don't know why anyone would think Ignatieff is brilliant. Loser would fit the bill better.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Polls are polls.. The Ekos poll, if you bother to read the fine print, was done by voice recognition or pushing a button..

And IF the poll was right both leaders are in trouble with Harper in deeper sh_t..

Job approval Stephen Harper:

• 34 per cent approve.
  • 46 per cent disapprove.
Michael Ignatieff:

• 32 per cent approve.
  • 37 per cent disapprove.
Source: EKOS
Right on Francis. Polls are polls and they change daily/hourly.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It doesn't really matter what you post Trex - reality or the latest polls are not one the strong points for the die-hard liberal supporters.

Trex said that Liberalman's polls were out of date. So I posted the newest polls from the same polling firm that Liberalman chose to use. It is not really "but whatever", it very much matters.

It's a bit like apples to oranges when you compare different polling firms numbers, from different polling dates, especially when tracking a trend in public opinion.

If he uses the same polling firm over the period, take Ekos, that's much better.http://www.ekos.com/admin/articles/cbc-2009-06-18.pdf

Last edited:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Hi Vanisle - I'm just having fun with the 'Bloc' thing.

@ Tonington:

I think that you and I can agree on the notion that the only poll that counts occurs on election day. Over the years, we've all heard the rhetoric that surrounds the polling industry and issues and for one, I no longer pay too much attention to anything they propose or suggest.

Part of the problem lies in the industry itself relative to who is the client or how the questions are phrased... It's not entirely different (in my mind) from someone quoting statistics - if you (as the consumer) are not privy to the modeling, assumptions and underlying variables, the interpretation of the resultant data can vary wildly.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
You van bet that all of the politicians will rail at Iggy for backing down for his entire tenure as opposition leader. It wouldn't be such a pressing issue under normal circumstances, but the fact that he was so public in his threats and never pulled the trigger will haunt him come election time.