Worthy issues for the next election?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
We find that some issues don't stick from election to election, and so keep coming back. Examples include:

Taxation and social services. One party will increase taxes and improve social services, only for another party to reverse it, for the whole process to repeat itself anew.

Immigration. One party will increase quotas for another to decrease quotas, for the process to repeat itself again after a few elections.

Other issues, however, eventually gain at least some popuar support for years to come, and prove reasonably resilient to elections. Examples include:

The introduction of the Blue Berrets under Pearson, still in use to day from time to time, and even adopted by other nations to varying degrees.

The introduction of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms under Trudeau.

The introduction of Official Bilingualism.

The creation of the Territory of Nunavut.

NAFTA? Maybe. it has survived both Conservative and Liberal governments so far.

Now while I don't like all of the changes above that have proven more resilient, at least they were issues that were aimed at the long-term, and so not likely to face election debate election after election. Sure the debate will come up, and sure they may fall over time, but they are not one-term issues.

I'm hoping that a few candidates this election could bring up some ideas for other such long-term issues, either to challenge those that have become estalbished already or to present new ones, but not just focus on the usual 'one-term' issues that we know could be reversed by the folowing election.

What kind of 'long-term' issues would you hope to see brought up next election? Or do you prefer to be debating mroe or less the same issues election after election?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The issues I want to see in the net election are:
1) Fixed election dates and elimination of non confidence votes to trigger an election.
2) All drugs made legal, taxed and addictions treated as medical issues instead of criminal
3) A real effort to eliminate government waste. I realize that mistakes will be made that will cost money but that is part of life. Fess up move on
4) All potential immigrants must pass an English proficiency test before being allowed into the country.
4) Equal representation for the West and do away with Quebecs guaranteed number of seats.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Probably the most important issue and one that does not get any coverage is the infrastructure deficit. I would like to see the feds develop some type of strategy to work on this problem. Upwards of 70% of infrastructure in North America is over 50 years old and is falling apart. Something like MIMS should be mandatory for any and all systems that run wholly or partially on public money. Once we determine the precise extent of the problem we can develop a plan of attack.

I know this isn't a sexy issue but it is one of the ones that will impact us each the most.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The issues I want to see in the net election are:
1) Fixed election dates and elimination of non confidence votes to trigger an election.
2) All drugs made legal, taxed and addictions treated as medical issues instead of criminal
3) A real effort to eliminate government waste. I realize that mistakes will be made that will cost money but that is part of life. Fess up move on
4) All potential immigrants must pass an English proficiency test before being allowed into the country.
4) Equal representation for the West and do away with Quebecs guaranteed number of seats.

1. Impossible, as confidence is the very foundation of the Parliamentary system........although I do agree with fixed election dates when there is no lack of confidence.

2. Marijuana, hashish? Yes. other drugs....ahhhh......I have my doubts.

3. Great idea.....we throw an incredible amount of money at idiotic ideas....multiculturalism, human rights tribunals, special interest groups......it needs to stop.

4. Won't do in our dual language nation..........I would be much more apt to want cultural training, a knowledge of our heritage and what is important to it as a prerequisite to citizenship.

5. Yep. No excuse for 75 seats in Quebec. None.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Yes, because our banking system has hurt us soooo badly.:roll:

You can pay my part of the seventy-five billion Canadian bank bailout if you're so damn in love with the parasites. Every bank in the haha free world is crooked.:lol:

Canada's 75 Billion Dollar Bank Bailout
The $64 Billion Federal Budget Deficit is intended to Finance Canada's Chartered Banks

by Michel Chossudovsky

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You can pay my part of the seventy-five billion Canadian bank bailout if you're so damn in love with the parasites.

Nope, sorry. You benefit just as much as I do from one of the best banking systems in the world. I expect you to pay your fair share.

BTW, confusing the bailout with the system shows how dishonest or misguided you actually are.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Nope, sorry. You benefit just as much as I do from one of the best banking systems in the world. I expect you to pay your fair share.

BTW, confusing the bailout with the system shows how dishonest or misguided you actually are.

"One of the best banking systems in the world" some suit is still drawing green for that crap that I have had reapeated to me several thousands of times in the last few years. The Titanics officers continuously raved about the indestructability of that cheap ship, even as the water made thier words difficult to make out. Bailout of the system by the system for the system , do try to assimilate those basic facts Cunnuck. We are usually not so liberal here with words like dishonest. I thought you were familiar with the rules.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
DB, I hate to point this out.....but the spelling, punctuation, and essence of your election platform propositions numbers 1, 2, and three speak very loudly against the rationality of election platform proposition number 4............or, to put in succinctly.......put down the joint! It is rotting your brain! what's left of it........

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Drugs? Not fully legalized but decriminalized. Why further hamper an already mentally crippled person by means of criminal record? Should that person be recovered, the record hampers employability. Marketed through an outlet like the provincial liquor control boards, the black market will be gone. Risk is inflation.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
DB, I hate to point this out.....but the spelling, punctuation, and essence of your election platform propositions numbers 1, 2, and three speak very loudly against the rationality of election platform proposition number 4............or, to put in succinctly.......put down the joint! It is rotting your brain! what's left of it........

You could be right and I could be the next playboy centerfold.:lol: