Why do Canadians still have to fight for CDA

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Canadians With Disabilities Act

Here we are approaching the 19th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Canadian goverment is still dragging it feet. You (Canada) claim to be more liberal and offer more freedoms to your citizens than the United States. You are ahead of the U.S. in most civil rights, yet there seems to be a issue with protecting the rights of more than 4 million Canadians with disabilities now and in the future. Ontario recognized that disability is an equal opportunity condition that can affect anyone at any time. and adapted the Ontarians with Disabilities Act (ODA) of 2001. Seems your goverment is spending to much time talking and not enough acting. As someone once told me, the U.S. Constitution did not exactly cover everything, nor does your Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms as well as the Canadian Human Rights Act of 1977. (who's safeguards have proven ineffective with compliance being spotty or nonexistent. So what is holding up a national act?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Don't ever think an Ontarians with Disabilities Act means a disabled person is treated much better than a welfare recipient. Generally speaking, when you are disabled, you don't pay income tax. If you don't pay tax ... you don't matter.

Why don't you have Universal Health care if your United States are so great?

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Face it, the U.S. does have a better Civil rights policy. Everybody is covered and we have laws to enforce them if necessary.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Don't ever think an Ontarians with Disabilities Act means a disabled person is treated much better than a welfare recipient. Generally speaking, when you are disabled, you don't pay income tax. If you don't pay tax ... you don't matter.

The ODA may not be perfect, but it is a start. You seem to have a total misconception of what exactly the "Canadian With Disabilities Act is, it has nothing to do with welfare, it just guarantees that a disabled person has the same rights as so called non disabled people. (example: Work at any job they are capable of doing, live anywhere they want. have public accommodations made accessible.) Just equal rights.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The ODA may not be perfect, but it is a start. You seem to have a total misconception of what exactly the "Canadian With Disabilities Act is, it has nothing to do with welfare, it just guarantees that a disabled person has the same rights as so called non disabled people. (example: Work at any job they are capable of doing, live anywhere they want. have public accommodations made accessible.) Just equal rights.

I have a misconception? I AM disabled.... Equal rights my arse....

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
"I have a misconception? I AM disabled.... Equal rights my arse"

Then you should know how important the CDA could be for you. In the U.S. the ADA made a huge difference the disabled are equal.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Then you should know how important the CDA could be for you. In the U.S. the ADA made a huge difference the disabled are equal.

Get yourself disabled and check it out. You might find it's not as rosy a picture as you paint. We could help ya if you'd like.

I find it hard to believe that a country such as yours with many millions without health care gives a rats ass about the disabled.

It's a great thing to troll out in a forum where nothing means nothing. You got the right place.

Now, about that much touted veterans hospital with roaches, rats, and very questionable care. Got that cleaned up yet?? Didn't think so.

Care for the returned Viet and Desert Storm vets??? Didn't think so.

.:thefinger:Go ****ing troll somewhere else.

Reactions: lone wolf

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

It would be great if it did make a difference. Ontario's hasn't. I have no need for wheelchair access. I need a family doctor. Even the cardio guy won't see me unless I have a clinic doctor refer me ... and that isn't the doctor who knows me.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I have no idea what the care is like for a person living on their own. In BC, this is how it is for my dis-abled Grandson. His wheel chair, his meds, and his glasses are all paid for. They provide him with a special computer at school. Right now, he is being trained in the use of an electric wheel chair. His parents believe he will probably always live at home. Things do change and he may not. He goes to school, he talks, and he is learning to read. He has an aide for his whole school day - that's a one on one person for him. He has other things as well that I just cannot think of right now but it's pretty good for now at least.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Get yourself disabled and check it out. You might find it's not as rosy a picture as you paint. We could help ya if you'd like.

I find it hard to believe that a country such as yours with many millions without health care gives a rats ass about the disabled.

It's a great thing to troll out in a forum where nothing means nothing. You got the right place.

Now, about that much touted veterans hospital with roaches, rats, and very questionable care. Got that cleaned up yet?? Didn't think so.

Care for the returned Viet and Desert Storm vets??? Didn't think so.

.:thefinger:Go ****ing troll somewhere else.

Now your talking, that was the Bronx VA hospital your referring to, made Life magazine around 1966-67 or so. It was a mess, rats, mice everywhere. They cleaned it up, in fact blew it up and built a new hospital right next to it. V.A. Care now is currently going down hill, not enough doctors. They have raised the Nurse Practitioner to the level of a doctor treating spinal cord injured vets. That it why I worry about gov. run healthcare. I am not trolling, you do have a problem with equal opportunity for your disabled, and for some reason keep pushing it under the rug. By the way, I'm retired U.S. Marine Corps 40 years, been there dun it. Spend some time volunteering at local VA hospital.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Now your talking, that was the Bronx VA hospital your referring to, made Life magazine around 1966-67 or so. It was a mess, rats, mice everywhere. They cleaned it up, in fact blew it up and built a new hospital right next to it. V.A. Care now is currently going down hill, not enough doctors. They have raised the Nurse Practitioner to the level of a doctor treating spinal cord injured vets. That it why I worry about gov. run healthcare. I am not trolling, you do have a problem with equal opportunity for your disabled, and for some reason keep pushing it under the rug. By the way, I'm retired U.S. Marine Corps 40 years, been there dun it. Spend some time volunteering at local VA hospital.

Obviously the marines would take anyone back then.

I have several close friends who are/were disabled, and all of them are on disabled pensions, get doctor and hospital care, physio, wheel chairs, drugs, x-rays, et al........completely gratis.

Oh, lets talk about access to DRUGS.......Well some of you can buy them on the internet here in Canada, .and have them mailed to the States. The rest of you are SCREWED. Big Pharma just raised your prices over 100%, (some cases 500% and more........read the goddam news), and .........you ain't covered, are you?? They did this while Bush had you looking at Iraq.

Your new pres. wants this supply system to grow. Needless to say Rush is calling him a commie for wanting to actually help Americans.

We have what's known as a HEALTH CARE SYSTEM. Wait till your country gets one. You'll like it.

You're still a troll, BTW.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
It would be great if it did make a difference. Ontario's hasn't. I have no need for wheelchair access. I need a family doctor. Even the cardio guy won't see me unless I have a clinic doctor refer me ... and that isn't the doctor who knows me.

That is the same problem we have untill you reach 65, then you can go to any doctor.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
In some countries, the national sign language is an official language in the Constitution! I think both Canada and the US still have a ways to go there. Every country has its strenghts, and though I'm not familiar with the ADA, I'm sure Canada can learn from the US without a doubt.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
In the U.S. the ADA made a huge difference the disabled are equal.

That's debatable. The ADA doesn't say much about how employers should apply the Act to people with mental disabilities and some say employment among the disabled has dropped significantly because of the act.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
In fact, here's a list of countries that have included a national sign language in their constitution:

The Czech Republic
Finland
Greece
Portugal
Slovakia
South Africa
Uganda
Venezuela

Strange that. Canada ain't there.