The Cons haven't done anything good for Canada?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I keep hearing this comment from a few people here, but I was listening to a couple seniors the opther day mentioning life for them is a little better since the Cons inhabited gov't seats. So I did a little googling and found this:

Jack’s Newswatch |  Harper Gov’t Accomplishments

And MacLean's mag did an article after the first year and a half:

It's almost summer: Time for a report card | Macleans.ca - Canada - Opinions

hehehe A lot of things have backfired, too, though. Like the Accountability Act that the Cons introduced might lend a hand toward more bureacracy and slow the gov't even more than the glacial velocity it moves along at now.

Martin's Glibs did a few good things, too. But then I found this:

PaulMartinTime .ca: a public resource on Canada's Prime Minister

My point in posting this is that NO gov't is all bad nor all good and that saying one particular gov't has done nothing for Canada is just stupid and misleading (aka politic).

Reactions: In Between Man

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I find it interesting that the main reason next to senate reform for appointing 18 Conservative members was so the coalition if they got in would not be able to appoint BLOC members to the senate.

This is a Prime Minister that needs Quebec to get a majority.

Stephen Harper said on a number of occasions that the BLOC is a treasonous political party yet he did not bring in laws to kick them out.

When the Conservatives gets thrown out of office next month Stephen should be replaced as leader.

Cannon should be a good one for the Conservative party and he’s French to boot.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
I find it interesting that the main reason next to senate reform for appointing 18 Conservative members was so the coalition if they got in would not be able to appoint BLOC members to the senate.

Stephen Harper said on a number of occasions that the BLOC is a treasonous political party yet he did not bring in laws to kick them out.

When the Conservatives gets thrown out of office next month Stephen should be replaced as leader.

He's given up on Quebec - as Quebeckers are more intelligent than Harper gives them credit for. I don't like all their politics - but one thing that is for certain - Most Quebecker are VERY politically saavy.

Since he's given up on buying the Quebec vote, he's showering Ontario now. If he gets enough seats in Ontario - he won't need Quebec.

Watch for Quebec to become the straw-man whipping boy now, as opposed to Ontario (for the last 2 years).

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
He's given up on Quebec - as Quebeckers are more intelligent than Harper gives them credit for. I don't like all their politics - but one thing that is for certain - Most Quebecker are VERY politically saavy.

Since he's given up on buying the Quebec vote, he's showering Ontario now. If he gets enough seats in Ontario - he won't need Quebec.

Watch for Quebec to become the straw-man whipping boy now, as opposed to Ontario (for the last 2 years).

Excellent!

Quebec has far too much influence on Federal politics......the "quebec Factor" in Ottawa has consistently pulled Canadian political culture considerably to the left of where the RoC would have it. It is nice, and will be nice, to have some balancing influence from a PM from outside of Quebec that is not worriedabout Quebec seats, I.E. is not constantly kissing Quebecois arse.

Quebecers have been PM for 36 of the last 40 years.

Time to move out of Quebec for awhile.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
i've been away all December. No Canadian news. What good things have our Cons done this month? Keep it brief, please. Long posts are probably fiction.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Excellent!

Quebec has far too much influence on Federal politics......the "quebec Factor" in Ottawa has consistently pulled Canadian political culture considerably to the left of where the RoC would have it. It is nice, and will be nice, to have some balancing influence from a PM from outside of Quebec that is not worriedabout Quebec seats, I.E. is not constantly kissing Quebecois arse.

Quebecers have been PM for 36 of the last 40 years.

Time to move out of Quebec for awhile.

Nunavat would be the next political hotspot?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yeah Western alienation is a big issue but not to worry about Quebec alienation. It's a common theme, do as I say not as I do with these guys. Sorry that's not right, with Harper. Is there even a party behind this guy or simply a bunch of goons and yes men?

Toro

Senate Member

The Conservatives don't need Quebec anymore than the Liberals need the West. It would be nice, but if the election were held with the Tories polling at 50% in Ontario, as they were right after news of the coalition, they would win a majority handily.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

"This is a Prime Minister that needs Quebec to get a majority."

He needs alot more than just Quebec. He'll barely hold onto 110 seats if there was an election today.

"Stephen Harper said on a number of occasions that the BLOC is a treasonous political party"

Unless they stood behind the Con"swerv"atives. Then they were a diasadvantaged cultural entity worthy of our consideration.

"When the Conservatives gets thrown out of office next month Stephen should be replaced as leader."

The problem being, there is nobody with even a whit of leadership skills "on the bench". Harper is the "least worst" they have going at the moment.

Harper at the moment is so busy "flip-floppin" on anything and everything (deficit, senate, parliment. etc..), that he can't seem to come up with any reasonable solution ot a single problem, so you're right he has to go.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I keep hearing this comment from a few people here, but I was listening to a couple seniors the opther day mentioning life for them is a little better since the Cons inhabited gov't seats. So I did a little googling and found this:

Jack’s Newswatch*|* Harper Gov’t Accomplishments

And MacLean's mag did an article after the first year and a half:

It's almost summer: Time for a report card | Macleans.ca - Canada - Opinions

hehehe A lot of things have backfired, too, though. Like the Accountability Act that the Cons introduced might lend a hand toward more bureacracy and slow the gov't even more than the glacial velocity it moves along at now.

Martin's Glibs did a few good things, too. But then I found this:

PaulMartinTime .ca: a public resource on Canada's Prime Minister

My point in posting this is that NO gov't is all bad nor all good and that saying one particular gov't has done nothing for Canada is just stupid and misleading (aka politic).

I sure don't wish to speak for any other CAnadians, but I've seen a few benefits under the Conservatives.........More so than the Liberals? I'm not sure, but since Harper took over my taxes (mainly income tax) has been reduced a lot. I would guess that overall, Libs and Cons. are about the same- Trudeau ran us into debt, Mulroney added to it and they were both a couple of *** holes.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
I especially like the appointment of Nicole (aphid buster) Eaton. I didn't realize the Nominal Puke (National Post) had a gardening column.
If there are any aphids or ragweed in the senate, they should be afraid... very afraid!

Nicole Eaton: A philanthropist and author of gardening books from Ontario, Eaton also writes an occasional gardening column for the National Post.
Wait a minute. A Gardener. Seriously. What will her contribution be? Free advice on aphid control? Where's the plumber in the mix?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Great comment, Tyr!

Remember the film "Being There" starring Peter Sellers as Chance, a simple-minded gardener, who becomes, through one misunderstanding after another, Chauncey Gardiner, a presidential candidate in the US.

This movie was prescient in predicting American Republican candidates and Canadian Conservative Senate appointees!

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Great comment, Tyr!

Remember the film "Being There" starring Peter Sellers as Chance, a simple-minded gardener, who becomes, through one misunderstanding after another, Chauncey Gardiner, a presidential candidate in the US.

This movie was prescient in predicting American Republican candidates and Canadian Conservative Senate appointees!

I guess Weird Al Yankovich demurred when Harper phoned him about taking a seat at the trough

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I guess Weird Al Yankovich demurred when Harper phoned him about taking a seat at the trough

I also heard that the Mongolian Stomper (A former star on Stampede Wrestling) from Carbon, Alberta (An honest town that tells it like it is!) passed up a Senate appointment. Pity, it would have increased Alberta's representation in the Upper House!