No Respect for Khadr

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
This is what made me a separatiste, and many others, the chicken-retarded attitudes from Canadians, after maher arar, they still didnt understand,it is clear they never will,they are doing it again,.

How can you peoples accept to be a canadian? seriously.

TORONTO — Liberal Senator Romeo Dallaire says Omar Khadr’s war crimes trial is an abuse of law.

Dallaire also believes Canada’s international reputation will be ruined if government support for the war crimes prosecution of a minor continues.

But Prime Minister Stephen Harper says it’s the best legal option and has vowed his government’s hands-off stance will continue until Khadr is tried for war crimes in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Dallaire Says Canada's reputation at risk

http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Canada/2008/07/17/6183646.html

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Thanks, Logic7!!
What do you suggest we ordinary Canadians do to make our Government behave humane and loyal to its citizens? You think Dallaire's remarks will have an effect on Harper? In my opinion, Harper is a wolf in sheep's clothe! Not only is his handling of Omar Khadr despicable, but also his staunch commitment to serve the American greed in Afghanistan.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
This is what made me a separatiste, and many others, the chicken-retarded attitudes from Canadians, after maher arar, they still didnt understand,it is clear they never will,they are doing it again,.

I'm separated as well for similar reasons. Our lack of compassion isn't what I want from my country. It's not respect that's wanting for Khadr it's compassion.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Oh boy a chicken story opening. Thanks for asking about Tim my crippled chicken I read him your stuff almost every day Bear, he's simple minded you understand dosn't care what you say as long as there's a handfull of chicken chow involved.:smile:

Return of the chicken retards was funny though.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
No use for Khadr & they should have shot the little ass when they caught him. Retarded chickens? As long as they taste good, i don't care one bit about ther aptitudes.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006

This is why I am glad Quebec didn't leave. Without Quebec we wouldn't just be watching the Americans torture a Canadian, Canada without Quebc would have aligned itself so close with the US that Canadians would be torturing Canadians, just like Americans torture Americans.
http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/9503

Quebec counters American influence on the rest of Canada. English and French Canada should collaborate, not separate...

But you are wrong that all Canadians think the same way. Many English Canadians are aware of what's going on:

EAO posted this website July 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Do you know what the difference is between watching an interrogation video and a torture tape? It’s the difference between watching a video of someone being interviewed after they have been raped, and watching the actual video of the rape.

What Khadr did or didn't do is beside the point. He is a Canadian citizen held in a foreign prison where he has been tortured. Case closed as far as I'm concerned. I expect the Canadian government to help Canadians in situations like Khadr. The Canadian government should not be able to pick and choose which Canadians they allow to be tortured. We should be able to rely on our government to fight to ensure Canadians are treated fairly and humanely by foreign governments including the US. What is happening to Khadr affects every single Canadian, living in Canada and abroad.

If Khadr is guilty of any crime, then he should be held accountable. Since he was fighting against a Canadian allie when he was captured, he is probably guilty of treason. I disagree that a soldier during a battle in a war should be tried for murder when they kill their adversary. I disagree with torturing POWs.

If we allow these things, then our adversaries can justify torturing captured Canadian soldiers and executing them for murder. What are we to say in response? We can do these things legally but you can't???? What goes around, comes around.

The way the US treats its adversaries violates nearly every treaty and convention related to war.

Any future punishment of Khadr should take into account his age, time served and his cruel and unusual treatment while in US custody. He should not be released from custody until he is no longer consdier a threat. Because of his cruel and unusual treatment, Khadr may remain a risk to society indefinitely.

It's really sad that Canada's closest allie has joined the ranks of Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Syria, Iran and Israel as countries which practice torture.

May 23, 2008 by Associated Press
Rice Defends Post 9/11 Torture

by Matthew Lee

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Thursday defended tough interrogation techniques for terrorism suspects approved by the Bush administration in the wake of 9/11, saying they were necessary to protect America from new attacks....

I agree with General Romeo Dallaire:

Canada sinking to level of al Qaeda: Dallaire
Updated Tue. May. 13 2008

...Dallaire, whose troubling experiences during the 1994 Rwanda genocide helped make him an outspoken advocate of human rights, said the Khadr case points out a moral equivalence among Canada, the United States and al Qaeda.

The United States is ignoring its own laws in prosecuting Khadr and Canada is betraying itself by not fighting for Khadr's return home, he said.

He said the Americans were acting out of panic after 9/11 and Canada was playing politics and that left them no better than the terrorists.

"The minute you start playing with human rights, with conventions, with civil liberties, in order to say that you're doing it to protect yourself and you are going against those rights and conventions, you are no better than the guy who doesn't believe in them at all,'' he said.

"We are slipping down the slope of going down that same route.''

Tory MP Jason Kenney asked if Dallaire really believes that. He pointed to a number of al Qaeda outrages, including an incident in which the terror group reportedly outfitted mentally challenged young girls with explosive belts and sent them to their deaths in a Baghdad animal market.

"Is it your testimony that al Qaeda strapping up a 14-year-old girl with Down syndrome and sending her into a pet market to be remotely detonated is the moral equivalent to Canada's not making extraordinary political efforts for a transfer of Omar Khadr to this country?'' he asked.

Dallaire was adamant.

"If you want a black and white, and I'm only too prepared to give it to you, absolutely,'' he replied. "You're either with the law or not with the law. You're either guilty or you're not.'' ...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080513/khadr_bounty_080513/20080513

Finally someone with the balls to call it like it is. I am a proud Canadian, but I am ashamed of Canada's behavior regarding Khadr. I fully agree with Dallaire's assessment. We are sliding down a slippery path to a police state if we follow the US.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/us-american-politics/74432-omar-khadr-2.html#post969066

You should read the other string and then let me know if you still think all English Canadians are "tete carres".

Aother reason why I want Quebec to stay is that the French Canadians know how to have fun! Parties are way better.

Last edited:

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
I don't think canadians have shown the Khadrs respect because of the massive disrespect the Khadrs have shown our country.

However, Khadr was either a child soldier or an innocent caught up in something terrible. Either way he should not have been imprisoned in the first place. Changing the definition of torture, ignoring basic rule of law and other crimes make it hard to believe that justice is being served.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
What respect should this country command? And why? We kiss the corporate financial asses with relish, we have become pathetic bond slaves of the bankers evil power. We are the laughing stock of the free, handmaiden of the psycopathic ruling elites.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Khadr video flops

No sympathy gained for young combatant

By MICHAEL COREN

I have to be blunt. I'm disappointed. Perhaps the sequel will be superior and I suppose we have to be generous to a fairly inexperienced director and cast, but I thought the Omar Khadr video would be better than it turned out to be. A little like the latter Star Wars -- unfulfilled promise.
Actually the whole thing backfired, in that it was supposed to break our hearts and make us angry at the awful Americans who dared to keep a sort of Canadian in prison on suspicion of terrorism and of throwing a hand grenade that killed one of their medics.
Problem is, it showed a well-fed, well-nourished, obviously defiant and healthy young man blubbing and moaning and claiming, rather absurdly, that he has no feet or eyes.
"You do have feet" replied a tolerant Canadian agent, "they're on the end of your legs."
The only valid criticism of the United States is that this young man should have faced a trial by now. If, however, he had been in prison just a few miles away from Guantanamo on Cuba he would have been beaten to death in one of Castro's death camps. If he had been captured by friends of his family in Afghanistan or Iraq he likely would have been raped, tortured and then slowly decapitated. Irony's a funny old thing.
If there has been any abuse over the years it is clearly at the hands of Khadr's own kin. As the highly respected clinical psychologist Dr. Marty McKay told the Children's Aid Society back in 2004 when Omar's mother, Maha Elsamnah Khadr, came to Canada, "I am sure that you would agree that counselling one's child to become suicidal or homicidal constitutes emotional child abuse, leading to physical abuse when the child acts upon these feelings."
And this is precisely what the good woman has done, often and in public.
ADDICTS AND GAYS
She has also, of course, loudly expressed her hatred for western culture and condemned Canada as a vile place where all children are drug addicts or homosexuals. She said she did not want such a fate for Omar or for her other son Karim, who suffered spinal damage after a firefight with the Pakistani soldiers who killed her terrorist husband.
The man may have suffered a different fate if the invincibly naive Jean Chretien had not, in 1995, personally pleaded with the late Benazir Bhutto, then Pakistani prime minister, to release Ahmed Khadr from prison and allow him to come to Canada. He didn't stay long -- there was work to be done with international Islamic murder gangs.
In 2004 the Khadr matriarch was brought back to Canada even though the family had lost several Canadian passports. Hey, it happens. They were flown business class from Pakistan. Hey, it happens. On public money. Hey, it happens.
Well, it happens to some people. Especially if they have friends within special interest groups and can convince credulous liberals who hate America more than they love truth and justice.
Omar Khadr is a tenuous Canadian at best, unlike most newcomers to the country who love it with pride and passion. If we feel sorry for him and his family, consider the family of the young medic smashed beyond recognition that horrible day six years ago. Good Lord, most people don't even know his name. But they know the name of Omar Khadr.

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Coren_Michael/2008/07/19/6205426-sun.php

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
This isn't about Khadr, so much as its about Canada and Canadians.

Khadr's case defines Canada. It proves to the world that Canada allows foreigner governments to torture Canadian citizens.

How much further down this path are we willing to follow behind the US?

'US torture claims unreliable'

1 day ago
Assurances from the US that it does not use torture can no longer be relied upon by the British authorities, an MPs' report has warned.

Ministers have previously been willing to take on face value statements from senior American politicians including President George Bush that the US does not resort to torture, said the House of Commons Foreign Affairs Committee.

But the committee said that the stance should be dropped in the light of CIA admissions that it subjected three detainees to "waterboarding", an interrogation technique which Foreign Secretary David Miliband has said amounts to torture.

Such a change in approach would have implications for the extradition of prisoners to the US, particularly in terror cases, as the UK is a signatory to a United Nations convention barring the return of individuals to states where they are at risk of being tortured.

During waterboarding, a detainee is bound to a board with feet raised and cellophane wrapped around his head. Water is poured onto his face in a process that, if uninterrupted, would lead to drowning.

In February this year, the US Director of National Intelligence. Michael McConnell, told a Senate committee that waterboarding was "a legal technique used in a specific set of circumstances".

The following month, President Bush vetoed a bill which would have banned the practice, saying he did not want to deprive agents of valuable tools in the war on terror

In April, Mr Miliband told the House of Commons: "I consider that water-boarding amounts to torture. The UK unreservedly condemns the use of torture."...

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hFsxGH0rBD6pXe8wi1PhYPFXh0IQ

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Avro,

Let me get this straight. You believe that unless the US releases evidence that its been torturing Khadr we should take the US's word that it treats detainees like Khadr humanely?

Hypothetically, if Khadr was tortured, how likely is it that the US would release evidence proving they tortured Khadr?

Maybe you were expecting a post torture interview video to be as powerful as a video of the torture itself? Is that reasonable? Would you expect a post rape interview video to be as powerful as a video of the rape itself?

In the video 16 year old Canadian citizen Omar Khadr claims he's been torture and abused since he was captured at age 15. Evidence that the US tortures detainees like Khadr is overwhelming. Evidence that the Canadian government has been complicit regarding its duties to defend Canadians from torture and abuse by foreign governments is also overwhelming.

Canadians are now aware that Canada allows other governments to torture Canadians.

Your post defends this new direction through moral relativism.

Next Canada will be extraditing Canadians to the US to be tortured. After that the Canadian government will torture Canadians here in Canada. Which is fine I suppose because it isn't as bad as Sudan's treatment of people in Darfur.

Last edited:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I'm sure you even read the article.

In any case I sympythy for the medic that was murdered by this lovely human being.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Canada Premier Sued Over Guantánamo Inmate

Lawyers for a young Canadian man imprisoned at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, filed a lawsuit on Friday against Prime Minister Stephen Harper to try to force him to intercede with American officials on the prisoner’s behalf.
Mr. Harper has declined to ask the United States to repatriate the prisoner, Omar Khadr, 21, who is scheduled to go on trial in October on charges of killing a United States soldier in Afghanistan in July 2002, when he was 15.

Critics say that Mr. Khadr was a child soldier and that he should be helped rather than punished. Mr. Harper, whose right-wing Conservatives won power in January 2006 on a law-and-order platform, says Mr. Khadr is facing serious charges.

The lawsuit asks Canada’s Federal Court to order the prime minister to intervene before the United States military trial starts.

“We’re doing it to compel Stephen Harper to finally do the right thing and stand up for the rights of a Canadian citizen,” said Lt. William Kuebler, who represents Mr. Khadr before the American military tribunal.
“If a Canadian court directs him to do it, I don’t think he can say ‘Get lost,’ ” Lieutenant Kuebler said by telephone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/09/wo...ld&oref=slogin
------------------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately, I think there is little chance Harper will comply. His mind has been set all this time not to help Omar. It would be different, I believe, if Omar wasn't a Muslim.
It is a tricky situation. On one hand Harper sends his troops out to fight people like Omar, and on the other hand he is expected to show compassion for one of them.
It takes greatness of heart to reach out to your enemy's child.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It is very hard to respect anyone who takes flight to another country - especially the one whose reputation for the preservation of human rights is held high in world esteem - then uses citizenship granted by his host as a shield to protect him from taking lumps for voluntarily taking part in a war his people allegedly abandoned in the first place.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
From what I understand, the whole Khadr family, as Canadians, are citizens of convenience,
and only use Canada as a place to come to lick their wounds when they're not fighting the Jihad
against the infidels. Citizens of convenience or not though...they're still Canadian citizens, and I
guess we really should repatriate Omar Khadr to Canada...and being the traitor that he is, once
the plane is on Canadian soil and Omar is at the top of the ladder leading from the plane, we put
a noose over his head and push him off the side of the ladder. Done deal.
This will satisfy those that seem to think that we need to bring this traitor back to Canada,
and according to the Canadian Criminal Code 46(1)C Omar Khadr has committed "High Treason"
in that, "Every one commits high treason who, in Canada, assists an enemy at war with Canada,
or any armed forces against whom Canadian Forces are engaged in hostilities, whether or not a
state of war exists between Canada and the country whose forces they are." It is also illegal for
a Canadian citizen to do any of the above outside Canada. Hmmm...the shoe seems to fit...