C.u.p.e

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Im not sure where to post this so here it is....

How did I become a member of CUPE? I don't pay dues, I don't have a membership card, etc, but they tell me that because I teach for the TDSB I'm automatically a member.

How can that be?

Because you owe them dues. Unions implement policies to insure their surrvival even if they have become redundant.
My sympathies.:-|

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
ugh... i'm really not a union fan. They've become unnecessary and essentially just a tool to make someone else rich, rather than protect the workers like they were originally needed for.

They essentially hold both employers AND workers hostage now. Chances are you have no choice BUT to belong to the damn thing.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Im not sure where to post this so here it is....

How did I become a member of CUPE? I don't pay dues, I don't have a membership card, etc, but they tell me that because I teach for the TDSB I'm automatically a member.

How can that be?

You are not a member of CUPE, you are a member of the teachers federation which is a seperate union than CUPE which covers support staff such as janitors, maintainence, educational assistants and cafeteria staff.

If you don't want to be a member of the union then attend a meeting and proppose decertification or get employed in a private school.

People go on and on about how the unions have all this control over it's members when in reality they are more democratic than our own governments.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
People who deserve to be paid a lot more would be getting paid a lot more if they were non-union. Unions only protect underachievers.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
You guys and your abbreviations.... wots a CUPE??

(I got the C - Canadian and U - Union ....but what are the P & E supposed to mean?

(Pickpocketed Employees? )

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You guys and your abbreviations.... wots a CUPE??

(I got the C - Canadian and U - Union ....but what are the P & E supposed to mean?

(Pickpocketed Employees? )

CUPE is the Canadian Union of Public Employees. One of the most powerful unions in Canada.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Thanks Juan - doh I guess I could have struggled a bit more with that one...

That same group down here is called Government Employees' Union and they are pretty strong as well as far as unions go....nothing like the unions formed for corporate employees tho...but the government employees carry some excellent benefits with them after retirement.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Goat - the vanishing member.... hehe

You are the fastest poster in the nation.....you don't even leave footprints! :smile:

Stay some day and have tea - let Doc proposition you - and flirt a while with the ladies here...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Thanks Juan - doh I guess I could have struggled a bit more with that one...

That same group down here is called Government Employees' Union and they are pretty strong as well as far as unions go....nothing like the unions formed for corporate employees tho...but the government employees carry some excellent benefits with them after retirement.

Up here any government employee pays union dues whether he/she likes it or not. It used to be that government employees didn't earn as much as people working in the private sector but they had what was almost unassailable tenure. Now they are getting quite generous wages and they still have that tenure. Too much tenure as far as I'm concerned.(I'll get shot for that):smile:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Are you really serious

I actually work 100% commission. My work dynamics are sink or swim. No lifejacket. The last thing I need is to get paid less because someone thinks I might be vulnerable.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
...but you'll gladly accept the pay and benefits that they have fought for over the years...

Will you be so appreciative about being out of a job when union pay scales and benefit packages crowd the bottom line and the company says: move to China? The Union guy will find another pocket to pick. You'll have to crowd your kid out of work at Dairy Queen....

Wolf