Open the books of all Gov't & Crown corporations

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Why aren't the books of hospital, libraries, and all gov't organizations open and public? What are they trying to hide? People just don't know where the money goes. The bureaucrats who run these organizations, with our tax money, make so many things a secret, when they should be open to the public at any time.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada

Why aren't the books of hospital, libraries, and all gov't organizations open and public? What are they trying to hide? People just don't know where the money goes. The bureaucrats who run these organizations, with our tax money, make so many things a secret, when they should be open to the public at any time.
Agree, open the books and see the examples.
a

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Oh hell yeah! I'd like to take a look at the books of all levels of enforcement in Canada too. I'm sure there are some skeletons in those closets.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Well the "books" being open to the public would be non-sense. An audited financial statement is just as good.

Isn't the Auditor General of Canada assigned that task? I Think so.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
There is the Freedom of information. There is some information which obviously needs to be protected, individual salaries for instance.

JoeSchmoe

Time Out
May 28, 2007
Vancouver Island

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Does freedom of information grant citizens the right to personal information, like employee classification? The government lists what the professions make based on experience and qualifications, but I don't think I can access what classification Joe Schmoe is. That would be invasion of privacy. I could be wrong on that, but I doubt it.

There are of course ways to find that out, but I'd be surprised and angered, as would many others if the government granted that information.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
Can I find a private* hospital records in public?...
Other than them telling me "OH WE ARA GOOD YEH!"

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Can you translate it?

I don't understand the point about 'private*' hospital records, when this topic was about public hospitals. The rest was relatively easy to figure out.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
He wants to know where if possible he can find or get access to private health records, perhaps his own.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Oh. Private health records are....private. If you want someone else's records, forget it. Without their consent, it's none of your business (assuming that you are not the legal guardian).

If you want a copy of your own file, you need to see your doctor, sign a form, and probably pay to have it copied.

If you want a copy of your hospital records, go to the Hospital administration, most of them have a patient advocate or ombudsman who can help you.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Some countries have all tax returns as public record, I wouldn't mind seeing that come to Canada. Much harder to commit fraud.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
How much info from our tax returns? I personally do not want strangers looking at my personal info. It's none of their god damn business how much I make, or where I invest my money, or what properties I own.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Maybe not, maybe so.

I certainly can see how you don't like to make that information available, but we force people to go beyond their privacy all the time.

From forcing Muslim women against their modesty to show their faces (a growing trend) to the more relevant (to this case) forcing you to get a public record for building permits, having to let everyone know what your building on your property.

If its all public for everyone though, it works out well, and has proven to work well.

Besides, if you wanna get down to it, people in a marketing firm already know what you make, what you buy, how often you buy it, what you invest in, what books you read, what food you eat, how much you drive, what movies you see and when, what X-rated products you buy etc etc etc

So, I think Tax Returns are the least of your problems, people with a vested interest in getting your money already know it all, and sell the information legally.