Quebec's Language Police Upset Over Legal "On The Run" Convenience Store Name

shannon

Nominee Member
Jul 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Quebec's Language Police Upset Over Legal "On The Run" Convenience Store Name

The Quebec Language Police (OLF) has done it again. No surprise here. The latest episode has to do with Esso's renaming of it's service station convenience stores in Quebec in order to have a common name throughout North America. The common name used will be "On The Run".

"On The Run" is a registered trademark and is therefore off limits to the language police. No law has been broken here.

With this latest outburst, the language police presents itself as lacking credibility and clearly a waste of space and energy, particularly as they are making a big fuss over a name that is perfectly legal. As no laws were broken, and the language police is crying wolf, it don't take no rocket scientist to figure out that the language cops are biased against anything English. It's unfounded outburst against a legal English sign shows a lack of respect for the English community in Quebec and throughout North America as well. Wonder how the rest of North America will react to this latest episode?

For more on this, scroll down to the "OLF throwing yet another hissy fit" heading at the following link ...

http://www.cjad.com/node/337659

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
On the run isnt french. Why can't they respect the fact that we are french, and not english? 6.5 million people shouldnt be cattering to 500 000 people.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
On the run isnt french. Why can't they respect the fact that we are french, and not english? 6.5 million people shouldnt be cattering to 500 000 people.

Well, since it is a trademark and exempt from the Language facists... suck it up. Along the same line, I am going to demand that the Ontario government force all restaurants to rename "Poutine" to Fries, Gravy & Cheese.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Maybe next they'll target IKEA or any of the other businesses using non-French names in both product names and business names....

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
The OLF should just let it go... I just don't see Esso using "on the run" in their french commercials, it would just sound terribly silly. It's just a legal practicality for them to have one common name and they will probably find a french alternative anyway for their advertising in Quebec.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
If the rest of Canada said "why can’t they respect that we are English" everyone would be upset. Quebec is not only French. Why are some in that province so insecure? Respect human rights and let people put whatever sign they want on their store front. Get over it. Grow up and join the 21st century!
Just to note, I love visiting Quebec and never had any problems with French people. It’s sad that a small minority of insecure, language Nazis are ruining it for the rest of the province. How many times do the Quebec people have to vote to stay in Canada for separatist, Nazi language nuts to accept it?

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal
Quebec Language Police
There is no such thing as a Quebec language Police.
''On the run'' is not acceptable according the the current regulation and will be fought in court if necessary.
You know too well Esso will not want to fight this at they risk upsetting a large portion of their customer base in Quebec.
You don't like the law as written?? Have it changed

Knave

Jan 3, 2007
Calgary, AB

Exactly the argument, albeit on the reverse, that I've made regarding the push by some folk in provinces like Alberta to have services in French - to cater to an even smaller minority than Anglophones are in Quebec.

But, the owners of these businesses can respect the fact that you're French just fine without having to rename their business; I mean, they'd still conduct their business in the language of the land, as that only makes sense. Honestly, that counts for a heck of a lot more than the what language the writing on a sign is in.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Exactly the argument, albeit on the reverse, that I've made regarding the push by some folk in provinces like Alberta to have services in French - to cater to an even smaller minority than Anglophones are in Quebec.

But, the owners of these businesses can respect the fact that you're French just fine without having to rename their business; I mean, they'd still conduct their business in the language of the land, as that only makes sense. Honestly, that counts for a heck of a lot more than the what language the writing on a sign is in.

I agree with your first point, alberta and the rest of Canada is english. You shouldnt be catering to a minority. We sure as hell don't.

They can do as they wish. Besides, like s_lone said, they will probably end up renaming as they will loose clientele over the issue.

Just like countless other compagnies, they will change their way of business for Québec. When they don't, they loose alot of money.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Bill 101 is supported by the majority of us, be we separatist or not.

I'll second that.

Bill 101 is a law that was adopted by a democratically elected government and has been and still is largely accepted by a majority of the Quebec population.

Within provincial jurisdictions, Quebec has the right to have its own laws.

shannon

Nominee Member
Jul 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada

Not sure about the overall 500,000 figure. As an example, if we look at the island of Montreal, the French speakers account for only 52.8% of the population. The rest comprise of English speakers and other ethnic groups. Many of the other established ethnic groups (such as myself) have adopted English as their second language (ex. East Indians, Filipinos, Greeks, Italians, Jews, Natives, South Africans ...etc). In summary, you can't group all non French speakers into the French speaking category.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
It's things like this that make me really dislike Quebec. To be honest, i'm all for them seperating. The Province is a cultural and financial blackhole for Canada. I say cut our losses.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
It's things like this that make me really dislike Quebec. To be honest, i'm all for them seperating. The Province is a cultural and financial blackhole for Canada. I say cut our losses.

And it's comments like yours that just accelerate the cycle of alienation on both sides.

If Quebec is a cultural blackhole then the ROC is cultural dark matter...very hard to percieve.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I really don't understand the mentality here. If you don't want to learn French, there are plenty of Provinces to choose from, even still you could live in Montreal and get by just fine. People would moan and complain if a french speaking Canadian demanded French service in a Province like Nova Scotia, but it's perfectly acceptable to expect English service in a predominantly French Province, where French IS the official language? Seems like a load of crap to me.

That being said, I do find the tactics here of trying to change a corporations slogan a little foolish, but I'm not from Quebec, so...

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006

RIGHT ON...

Quebecers should be requried to obtain passports for travel throughout Canada in response to their whining about language...

Who need's em?