Quebec's Language Police Upset Over Legal "On The Run" Convenience Store Name

shannon
The Quebec Language Police (OLF) has done it again. No surprise here. The latest episode has to do with Esso's renaming of it's service station convenience stores in Quebec in order to have a common name throughout North America. The common name used will be "On The Run".

"On The Run" is a registered trademark and is therefore off limits to the language police. No law has been broken here.

With this latest outburst, the language police presents itself as lacking credibility and clearly a waste of space and energy, particularly as they are making a big fuss over a name that is perfectly legal. As no laws were broken, and the language police is crying wolf, it don't take no rocket scientist to figure out that the language cops are biased against anything English. It's unfounded outburst against a legal English sign shows a lack of respect for the English community in Quebec and throughout North America as well. Wonder how the rest of North America will react to this latest episode?

For more on this, scroll down to the "OLF throwing yet another hissy fit" heading at the following link ...

http://www.cjad.com/node/337659

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
I guess it has never occurred to those people that all they're displaying by being phobic (irrational fear) about things English is a great deal of childishness. They are a pathetic joke.

Numure
On the run isnt french. Why can't they respect the fact that we are french, and not english? 6.5 million people shouldnt be cattering to 500 000 people.

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by NumureView Post

On the run isnt french. Why can't they respect the fact that we are french, and not english? 6.5 million people shouldnt be cattering to 500 000 people.

Well, since it is a trademark and exempt from the Language facists... suck it up. Along the same line, I am going to demand that the Ontario government force all restaurants to rename "Poutine" to Fries, Gravy & Cheese.

Tonington
Maybe next they'll target IKEA or any of the other businesses using non-French names in both product names and business names....

s_lone
The OLF should just let it go... I just don't see Esso using "on the run" in their french commercials, it would just sound terribly silly. It's just a legal practicality for them to have one common name and they will probably find a french alternative anyway for their advertising in Quebec.

Gonzo
If the rest of Canada said "why can’t they respect that we are English" everyone would be upset. Quebec is not only French. Why are some in that province so insecure? Respect human rights and let people put whatever sign they want on their store front. Get over it. Grow up and join the 21st century!
Just to note, I love visiting Quebec and never had any problems with French people. It’s sad that a small minority of insecure, language Nazis are ruining it for the rest of the province. How many times do the Quebec people have to vote to stay in Canada for separatist, Nazi language nuts to accept it?

jackd
Quote:

Quebec Language Police

There is no such thing as a Quebec language Police.
''On the run'' is not acceptable according the the current regulation and will be fought in court if necessary.
You know too well Esso will not want to fight this at they risk upsetting a large portion of their customer base in Quebec.
You don't like the law as written?? Have it changed

Knave

Exactly the argument, albeit on the reverse, that I've made regarding the push by some folk in provinces like Alberta to have services in French - to cater to an even smaller minority than Anglophones are in Quebec.

But, the owners of these businesses can respect the fact that you're French just fine without having to rename their business; I mean, they'd still conduct their business in the language of the land, as that only makes sense. Honestly, that counts for a heck of a lot more than the what language the writing on a sign is in.

Numure
Quote: Originally Posted by GonzoView Post

How many times do the Quebec people have to vote to stay in Canada for separatist, Nazi language nuts to accept it?

Bill 101 is supported by the majority of us, be we separatist or not.

Numure
Quote: Originally Posted by KnaveView Post

Exactly the argument, albeit on the reverse, that I've made regarding the push by some folk in provinces like Alberta to have services in French - to cater to an even smaller minority than Anglophones are in Quebec.

But, the owners of these businesses can respect the fact that you're French just fine without having to rename their business; I mean, they'd still conduct their business in the language of the land, as that only makes sense. Honestly, that counts for a heck of a lot more than the what language the writing on a sign is in.

I agree with your first point, alberta and the rest of Canada is english. You shouldnt be catering to a minority. We sure as hell don't.

They can do as they wish. Besides, like s_lone said, they will probably end up renaming as they will loose clientele over the issue.

Just like countless other compagnies, they will change their way of business for Québec. When they don't, they loose alot of money.

s_lone

Bill 101 is supported by the majority of us, be we separatist or not.

I'll second that.

Bill 101 is a law that was adopted by a democratically elected government and has been and still is largely accepted by a majority of the Quebec population.

Within provincial jurisdictions, Quebec has the right to have its own laws.

wallyj

Why should the rest of Canada cater to you? Or catter to you?

Numure
Quote: Originally Posted by wallyjView Post

Why should the rest of Canada cater to you? Or catter to you?

Since when did I ask to be cattered?

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Is the language really in danger of disappearing? I would hardly think so.
I find the whole issue extremely silly. And I thank politicians and the press for making a mountain out of an anthill.

shannon

Not sure about the overall 500,000 figure. As an example, if we look at the island of Montreal, the French speakers account for only 52.8% of the population. The rest comprise of English speakers and other ethnic groups. Many of the other established ethnic groups (such as myself) have adopted English as their second language (ex. East Indians, Filipinos, Greeks, Italians, Jews, Natives, South Africans ...etc). In summary, you can't group all non French speakers into the French speaking category.

Mogz
Conservative
It's things like this that make me really dislike Quebec. To be honest, i'm all for them seperating. The Province is a cultural and financial blackhole for Canada. I say cut our losses.

s_lone
Quote: Originally Posted by MogzView Post

It's things like this that make me really dislike Quebec. To be honest, i'm all for them seperating. The Province is a cultural and financial blackhole for Canada. I say cut our losses.

And it's comments like yours that just accelerate the cycle of alienation on both sides.

If Quebec is a cultural blackhole then the ROC is cultural dark matter...very hard to percieve.

Tonington
I really don't understand the mentality here. If you don't want to learn French, there are plenty of Provinces to choose from, even still you could live in Montreal and get by just fine. People would moan and complain if a french speaking Canadian demanded French service in a Province like Nova Scotia, but it's perfectly acceptable to expect English service in a predominantly French Province, where French IS the official language? Seems like a load of crap to me.

That being said, I do find the tactics here of trying to change a corporations slogan a little foolish, but I'm not from Quebec, so...

MikeyDB
Quote: Originally Posted by MogzView Post

RIGHT ON...

Quebecers should be requried to obtain passports for travel throughout Canada in response to their whining about language...

Who need's em?

Numure
Quote: Originally Posted by shannonView Post

Not sure about the overall 500,000 figure. As an example, if we look at the island of Montreal, the French speakers account for only 52.8% of the population. The rest comprise of English speakers and other ethnic groups. Many of the other established ethnic groups (such as myself) have adopted English as their second language (ex. East Indians, Filipinos, Greeks, Italians, Jews, Natives, South Africans ...etc). In summary, you can't group all non French speakers into the French speaking category.

500 000 Anglophones, and then another 500 000 allophones. The language the allophones speak (French or English) most of the time is only speculation, until you can provide proof.

My number are approximate, but if you wish me to prove them, I'll just dig out does statcan numbers.

Numure
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

I really don't understand the mentality here. If you don't want to learn French, there are plenty of Provinces to choose from, even still you could live in Montreal and get by just fine. People would moan and complain if a french speaking Canadian demanded French service in a Province like Nova Scotia, but it's perfectly acceptable to expect English service in a predominantly French Province, where French IS the official language? Seems like a load of crap to me.

That being said, I do find the tactics here of trying to change a corporations slogan a little foolish, but I'm not from Quebec, so...

Well said. I do find it foolish as well. But alas, I believe their lack of cultural respect is even more foolish (Esso).

Mogz
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by s_loneView Post

And it's comments like yours that just accelerate the cycle of alienation on both sides.

If Quebec is a cultural blackhole then the ROC is cultural dark matter...very hard to percieve.

Good. The faster the Queerbecers get annoyed with us anglo-pig-dogs, the faster they'll take their proverbial ball and go "home". Merde.

Mogz
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDBView Post

RIGHT ON...

Quebecers should be requried to obtain passports for travel throughout Canada in response to their whining about language...

Who need's em?

Mikey, you're like the son I never wanted, but will still take so I can get the cheque from the Government

CDNBear
What's with all the fuss? It's just more proof that Kebec is run by fascists and they will run over everything and everyone that does not lock step along with whom ever gets the title merry french Fuhrer. That must include major businesses of course.

I've posted enough proof of Kebec's nazi regime mentality. Why is this such a shock to anyone?

Is anyone shocked that there are Quebecuois in here defending it?

jackd
CDNBear
Do you really think replacing ''C's'' by 'K's'' gives more weight to your futile rant?
Do you really know what Nazis were and how they operated?

Reads my lips.
There are laws that were legally adopted by democratically elected representatives.
You have 3 choices:
1) live with these laws.
2) fight as strong as you can to have these laws repelled democratically.
3) Move to whatever country whose name starts with a ''K''

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by jackdView Post

CDNBear
Do you really think replacing ''C's'' by 'K's'' gives more weight to your futile rant?
Do you really know what Nazis were and how they operated?

Reads my lips.
There are laws that were legally adopted by democratically elected representatives.
You have 3 choices:
1) live with these laws.
2) fight as strong as you can to have these laws repelled democratically.
3) Move to whatever country whose name starts with a ''K''

1) I replaced a "Q" with a "K".
2) It is the correct spelling of the name.
3) The law as it stands is in favour of ESSO's position, the actions of the nazi language cops, is only further proof that any regime under the banner of an independant Kebec, would be fascist, to say the least.
4) I'm not moving anywhere, this was my peoples home long before the French failed to spell Kebec correctly.
5) This law at its inception was not democratic and was shot down at the Supreme Court, then changed to fit the out lines of what the Supreme Court decided. It is barely legal in any reasonable interpretation of the law, anyone who is not a nazi ***, sees that.
6) The only futile ranting I have seen in this forum, is from fascist/racist Quebecuois and/or the defenders of the nazi Arab party's.

My posts are based on facts and evidence, something I have not seen come from any of the defenders of fascist Kebec and the ME.

Get over yourself, purile rantings are unbecoming of an adult.

jackd
Quote:

My posts are based on facts

Would you mind sharing those facts with the adult world or would you prefer to keep on ?

CDNBear

Would you mind sharing those facts with the adult world or would you prefer to keep on ?

Of course it's just puke. You must be a Quebecuois, anything that is not French is bad and therefore should be subjugated.<---Please note sarcasm.

Quebecuois showing their love for the Natives...

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/ca...ty-quebec.html

Apologize or else

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/ca...gn-quebec.html

International Law, Native and Quebec Claims...

Exposing Quebec's shameful secret

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/ca...so-canada.html

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/ca...n-english.html

If you need more, I'm more then willing to dig up more proof, that an independant Kebec is going to be a fascist state. Native and non French people will be at the mercy of a Governemnt that has their obliteration in their hearts. As exampled in all the material linked above.

shannon

''On the run'' is not acceptable according the the current regulation and will be fought in court if necessary.
You don't like the law as written?? Have it changed

Looks like you are arguing about a law in which you know nothing about, Jackd. Although I don't agree with Quebec's language laws as they promote segregation and deny civil liberties, I am nonetheless quite familiar with them. I can guarantee you that registered trademarks, English or French are quite legal in Quebec. "On The Run" falls in the same category as "Burger King", "Canadian Tire", Coffee Time", "Future Shop", "Golf Town", "Sam The Record Man", "Starbucks Coffee", "Music World" ...etc). The list is endless. Are you telling me that these businesses have illegal signs as well and should be required to take them down? Hah ... good luck!