No More Common Wealth - An Independant Canada

UnknownUSER
It is time that Canada become truly an independant country. As everyone knows, Canada is a country that is a member of the British Commonwealth. It is time that Canada stay allies with Britain, but declare themselves a completley independent country. Although political postions held by British representatives in Canada - for the most part - are completley honorary and have no real power, they still exist. The queen is still technically considered to be Canada's head of State. The Prime Minister should be Canada's head of state. The Govenor General has the power to veto any bill which she pleases. Although that never happens, the possibility is still there. Each branch of the legislature should have a veto power, and not a representative of a foreign queen. Furhtermore, the Govenor General is the Commander in Cheif of the Canadin Army - she has the power to send our troops into battle. If Britain goes to war, the Monarch can techincally order our men and woman into battle. Many people may say that the Govenor and Lietenant Govenors have no real power, and that they are honoary positions and so why get rid of them? Well if they are not doing anything, why keep them.

ottawabill
To be quite honest and as much as I may agree with your post; I don't think this country or it's people are mature enough for it. We are still to regional and provincail and instead of banding as one, this will open up ever complaint and regional disparity to be hashed out for ever..Damn we can't even deal with Quebec..how long has that been?

Tonington
Yes, it trully is an antiquated system in needs of serious reform. Who wants to keep the vestigal remains of an old colonial power. Though we are linked, it's only a formality. After all, our troops aren't in Iraq.

UnknownUSER
I must say that if we lose the old system - with the right appraoch - the goverment could get the Country to stand together. As well, it would be nice to see more national pride. I would love to drive down the main streets of a city and see a 60ft Canadin Flag.

Yes, it is true that it is only a formality and that we are not in Iraq. However, it is a formality that does not need to exist. As well, the idea is that the troops could be ordered in by the Govenor General.

Tonington
I couldn't agree more.

sanctus
Quote: Originally Posted by UnknownUSERView Post

It is time that Canada become truly an independant country. As everyone knows, Canada is a country that is a member of the British Commonwealth. It is time that Canada stay allies with Britain, but declare themselves a completley independent country..

Why? What is so terrible about the monarchy or are ties within the Commonwealth? I think it is enriching for our country to be included in this august membership. God save the Queen.

General James Wolfe
If Canada becomes a Republic then she would be just like America. Canadians are loyal while the Americans are rebelious.

When the Americans burnt down York (Toronto) the British Royal Armed Forces retaliated by burning Washinton D.C. to the ground. The British burnt the

White House
Congress

This was the British getting revenge for what the Americans did to Canada. Canada stood by the British in the Revolutionary War and that was a good thing to which I thank Canada day in day out.

Canada you dont want to become like America, I say keep your British traditions and heritage, dont throw it away like the American traitors.

Canada which would you rather have as head of State a Queen or a President. A Queen sounds grander than a President.

Canada which would you rather have a Royal Canadian Armed Forces or a Canadian Armed Forces. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police would re called the Canadian Mounted Police.

Great Britain and Ireland
Canada
Austraila
New Zealand

have to stay together and form an Imperial Federation.

LONG LIVE ROYAL CANADA

Canada is an Aristocrat unlike America who is a Peasent.

If Canadians go for a Republic then you go from Aristocrats to Peasents like the Americans. We all know that Canadians are not peasents but aristocrats.

iARTthere4iam
Elizabeth II is Canada's Queen.

However when she dies I would love to see Canada take another route.

God save the queen.

EastSideScotian
Quote: Originally Posted by General James WolfeView Post

If Canada becomes a Republic then she would be just like America. Canadians are loyal while the Americans are rebelious.

When the Americans burnt down York (Toronto) the British Royal Armed Forces retaliated by burning Washinton D.C. to the ground. The British burnt the

White House
Congress

This was the British getting revenge for what the Americans did to Canada. Canada stood by the British in the Revolutionary War and that was a good thing to which I thank Canada day in day out.

Canada you dont want to become like America, I say keep your British traditions and heritage, dont throw it away like the American traitors.

Canada which would you rather have as head of State a Queen or a President. A Queen sounds grander than a President.

Canada which would you rather have a Royal Canadian Armed Forces or a Canadian Armed Forces. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police would re called the Canadian Mounted Police.

Canada
Austraila
New Zealand

have to stay together and form an Imperial Federation.

LONG LIVE ROYAL CANADA

Canada is an Aristocrat unlike America who is a Peasent.

If Canadians go for a Republic then you go from Aristocrats to Peasents like the Americans. We all know that Canadians are not peasents but aristocrats.

Agreed

sanctus
Quote: Originally Posted by General James WolfeView Post

Canada
Austraila
New Zealand
s.

more than those my friend, don't forget countries such as the Bahamas, Jamaica, etc.

sanctus
Quote: Originally Posted by iARTthere4iamView Post

Elizabeth II is Canada's Queen.

However when she dies I would love to see Canada take another route.

God save the queen.

Why? In other words, for me I'd rather continue our ties with the monarchy. I hold a great deal of respect for the Prince of Wales.I am looking forward to his reign as our King

Daz_Hockey
Britain has no power over Canada, why does this subject even come up?.

Will the USA ever stop banging on about 1775?, it's what makes it what it is.........a country run and controlled by freemasons.

Why can't Canadians stop the winging (in which case, any Australian will tell you, your more like an Englishman than you care to suggest), Canada is what it is because of the VERY SAME event that makes America what it is.

Americans will never forget and celebrate, so why should you?.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Canada has been independant since before the second world war.

and we've done pretty damn well. I keep saying this....Compared with other countries in the G-8, the top 8 industrialized countries in the world, Canada looks very good. We have a strong economy, and Canada is considered the world over, as the best, or one of the best places to live. What else do you want? We have a British heritage, history, and traditions that call up our past association with Britain. Some of the traditions are dying out...when I went to school we sang "God save the King" in the morning.

Daz_Hockey
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Canada has been independant since before the second world war.

and we've done pretty damn well. I keep saying this....Compared with other countries in the G-8, the top 8 industrialized countries in the world, Canada looks very good. We have a strong economy, and Canada is considered the world over, as the best, or one of the best places to live. What else do you want? We have a British heritage, history, and traditions that call up our past association with Britain. Some of the traditions are dying out...when I went to school we sang "God save the King" in the morning.

Crikey #Juan!! we don't even do that over here, and my dad assures me they didn't do that in his time either!!.

Although, let's face it, the REAL King of England (it's been proven) Henry Hastings is a republican and voted for Australia to become a republic.....no better example than that!!.

the caracal kid
indeed.

it is long past time to eliminate the "british" from canada and replace it with something "canadian".

General James Wolfe
I support a closer relationship between Great Britain and Canada. I hope one day that a British subject can go to Canada and be called a Canadian as well as a Brition and a Canadain Citizen can go to Great Britain and be called a Briton as well as a Canadian.

I would like to see the British-Canadain relationship be more important then the British-American relationship. I would rather have a stronger alliance with Loyalists and Aristocrats (Canada) then Rebels and Peasents (America).

ROYAL CANADA ROCKS
REPUBLICAN AMERICA SUCKS

British Royal Armed Forces and Canadain Loyalists Forces burnt the White House in retribution for the buring of York (Toronto) by the American Rebels.

Dont become Peasents by declaring a Republic please your better than Americans.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Gee caracal

We have British Columbia. We have Nova Scotia (New Scotland) We are a member of the British Commonwealth. I suppose we could change the province names, to what, I don't know. Britain has not been a ruler of Canada for a good long time. The tradition are dying out slowly but surely, but I don't think we can force them out. In another twenty years Canada's population will surpass that of Britain. Maybe then some of you will feel more secure.

Daz_Hockey
That Henry Hastings bit was some irony sorry.

But let's face it, were in a different time. believe it or not, were still dealing with the results of the events that brought down the old Empire (world war two that is), Britain has been flooded by Poles (there's 20,000) in my town alone, a country who's grip from the old soviet union has scarred it and made it poor.

Britain is still dealing with it's old problems, that shouldnt get in the way of a forward-looking Canada, closer integration would just create a drag on a young, vibrant and enigmatic country like Canada, just keep the history and remember where your from, keep the status quo, but I dont think closer integration with Britain would do Canada any favours.

the caracal kid
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Gee caracal

We have British Columbia. We have Nova Scotia (New Scotland) We are a member of the British Commonwealth. I suppose we could change the province names, to what, I don't know. Britain has not been a ruler of Canada for a good long time. The tradition are dying out slowly but surely, but I don't think we can force them out. In another twenty years Canada's population will surpass that of Britain. Maybe then some of you will feel more secure.

We could change the names... Hmmm.. I live in Cascadia, or maybe Pacifica...

I was thinking with starting with our laws and constitution. The "god and queen" language rubs me the wrong way.

cortex
Canada's association with the british monarchy is a filthy one. The British empire was amoung the most brutal, savage and rapacious in human history--if not the worst. To add to insult to injury--we are subject to the denial of the cowardly monarchists here. May the Queen and her type rot in hell where she will find Henry the 8th and a few severed heads. I say break with these heathens.

May she rot in hell.

Daz_Hockey
Ahha, hello Cortez, or Cortezz, or Cortex,

And who would you suggest has a less evil history then?, the US?, a country founded by the brotherhood of freemasons, a country that systematically drove it's indigenous population onto filthy, dirty wastelands, while still declaring that every man is equal under god?.

Or perhaps Russia, a country that also, systematically murdered 20 million of it's own population.

Britain and the British Empire has nothing to hide, we know our murky history and unlike the rest, we don't celebrate it, so get off our bleedin backs. Britain was the first country in the world to outlaw slavery, the first colonial power to dismantle it's vast empire, and not cling onto it like the French or the Portugeuse.

Get off that moral high ground...because where Iam, it's looking pretty shaky Cortez, Cortezz or Cortex.

UnknownUSER
It seems that everyone in this forum can at least agree on one thing - their feelings towards the french!

Daz_Hockey
Quote: Originally Posted by UnknownUSERView Post

It seems that everyone in this forum can at least agree on one thing - their feelings towards the french!

I don't understand American's feelings against the French, they should love them, they should kiss their garlic-smelling feet for winning their freedom for them. I expect that's part of the reason they allowed themselves to be dragged into Vietnam.

But what do they do?, "Freedom fries" "Freedom Toast" lol

I'm English, it's expected of me to hate the French, and them of me...everyone else, I'm not sure.

cortex
Over the course of their centuries long savage empire the british have killed HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of people .

There is no moral high ground only the smell of the corpses mixed with opium and buggery

When the spanish and portugueese began the european rape of the world circa 1492 --who would have though that it would awaken SATAN himself in the form of anglosaxon england--- awaken this beast so viscious and envious and set him on a centuries long jealous rampage from which he still is not satisfied

to lead us HERE

GW BUSH---read anglosaxon empire part 2---sitting on an arsenal of WMD enough to nuke humanity a thousand times over--with an IQ of 52.

And when these pricks---set up the condition for war as they did in ww2 and then lead us into it--again

when the world blows up the self righteous dorks will blame--the french--or islam--or communism

The satanic axis that will lead to the destruction of our civilization will without question be

the washington- london axis

connect the dots

they spell death----curiously enough---in english

Daz_Hockey
I understand your points, suprisingly, I realise countless millions have been murdered in the name of buggary, opium, slavery and general world supremacy. I also understand your connection between G W Bush and the British Empire, after all, he can trace his roots back to a few miles from my family.

BUT, just what would the world have been like if it were ruled by Spanish-speaking nations?, any better?...I think not.

While you can argue that Britain is evil (and with this I presume you are taking the Islamic extremist line about how "the general public are all to blame, even if they wernt born then, and even then may not have agreed with what they did"). I just feel your being very bigoted to suggest such a thing.

If you feel this way, chuck away the llanguage you now speak and perhaps learn French.

dekhqonbacha
this would cost much more to change all present formalities, and still have the same thing. What would you expect for "intependent" canada be? "Free"??
it sounds funny even to talk about independcy and freedom in western countries in 21 century.

I think not
The Commonwealth of Nations is an economic block, what does that have to do with being independent?

P.S. I would rather be a peasant than answer to a monarch that happens to reign because of a lucky phuck.

dekhqonbacha
ITN,
US is not part of Commonwealth of Nations but it is canada's largest business parthner.

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by dekhqonbachaView Post

ITN,
US is not part of Commonwealth of Nations but it is canada's largest business parthner.

I realize that. All I asked was how being part of the Commonwealth somehow constitutes a loss of sovereignty as the thread starter suggests.

Researcher87
Quote:

Why? What is so terrible about the monarchy or are ties within the Commonwealth? I think it is enriching for our country to be included in this august membership. God save the Queen.

I'm not saving some old queen. She and her inbred family can go save themselves.

Canada is evolving and one day Canada will not be apart of the Commonwealth and one day there will be no commonwealth at all or the U.K at that matter especially if Scotland and Wales become independent.

Right now, there is no point in bringing up such an issue but I can see it being debated and maybe a referendum in lets say 20-30 years.