No More Common Wealth - An Independant Canada

UnknownUSER

Oct 30, 2006
It is time that Canada become truly an independant country. As everyone knows, Canada is a country that is a member of the British Commonwealth. It is time that Canada stay allies with Britain, but declare themselves a completley independent country. Although political postions held by British representatives in Canada - for the most part - are completley honorary and have no real power, they still exist. The queen is still technically considered to be Canada's head of State. The Prime Minister should be Canada's head of state. The Govenor General has the power to veto any bill which she pleases. Although that never happens, the possibility is still there. Each branch of the legislature should have a veto power, and not a representative of a foreign queen. Furhtermore, the Govenor General is the Commander in Cheif of the Canadin Army - she has the power to send our troops into battle. If Britain goes to war, the Monarch can techincally order our men and woman into battle. Many people may say that the Govenor and Lietenant Govenors have no real power, and that they are honoary positions and so why get rid of them? Well if they are not doing anything, why keep them.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
To be quite honest and as much as I may agree with your post; I don't think this country or it's people are mature enough for it. We are still to regional and provincail and instead of banding as one, this will open up ever complaint and regional disparity to be hashed out for ever..Damn we can't even deal with Quebec..how long has that been?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Yes, it trully is an antiquated system in needs of serious reform. Who wants to keep the vestigal remains of an old colonial power. Though we are linked, it's only a formality. After all, our troops aren't in Iraq.

UnknownUSER

Oct 30, 2006
I must say that if we lose the old system - with the right appraoch - the goverment could get the Country to stand together. As well, it would be nice to see more national pride. I would love to drive down the main streets of a city and see a 60ft Canadin Flag.

Yes, it is true that it is only a formality and that we are not in Iraq. However, it is a formality that does not need to exist. As well, the idea is that the troops could be ordered in by the Govenor General.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
It is time that Canada become truly an independant country. As everyone knows, Canada is a country that is a member of the British Commonwealth. It is time that Canada stay allies with Britain, but declare themselves a completley independent country..

Why? What is so terrible about the monarchy or are ties within the Commonwealth? I think it is enriching for our country to be included in this august membership. God save the Queen.

General James Wolfe

Nominee Member
Oct 30, 2006
If Canada becomes a Republic then she would be just like America. Canadians are loyal while the Americans are rebelious.

When the Americans burnt down York (Toronto) the British Royal Armed Forces retaliated by burning Washinton D.C. to the ground. The British burnt the

White House
Congress

This was the British getting revenge for what the Americans did to Canada. Canada stood by the British in the Revolutionary War and that was a good thing to which I thank Canada day in day out.

Canada you dont want to become like America, I say keep your British traditions and heritage, dont throw it away like the American traitors.

Canada which would you rather have as head of State a Queen or a President. A Queen sounds grander than a President.

Canada which would you rather have a Royal Canadian Armed Forces or a Canadian Armed Forces. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police would re called the Canadian Mounted Police.

Great Britain and Ireland
Canada
Austraila
New Zealand

have to stay together and form an Imperial Federation.

LONG LIVE ROYAL CANADA

Canada is an Aristocrat unlike America who is a Peasent.

If Canadians go for a Republic then you go from Aristocrats to Peasents like the Americans. We all know that Canadians are not peasents but aristocrats.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
If Canada becomes a Republic then she would be just like America. Canadians are loyal while the Americans are rebelious.

When the Americans burnt down York (Toronto) the British Royal Armed Forces retaliated by burning Washinton D.C. to the ground. The British burnt the

White House
Congress

This was the British getting revenge for what the Americans did to Canada. Canada stood by the British in the Revolutionary War and that was a good thing to which I thank Canada day in day out.

Canada you dont want to become like America, I say keep your British traditions and heritage, dont throw it away like the American traitors.

Canada which would you rather have as head of State a Queen or a President. A Queen sounds grander than a President.

Canada which would you rather have a Royal Canadian Armed Forces or a Canadian Armed Forces. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police would re called the Canadian Mounted Police.

Great Britain and Ireland
Canada
Austraila
New Zealand

have to stay together and form an Imperial Federation.

LONG LIVE ROYAL CANADA

Canada is an Aristocrat unlike America who is a Peasent.

If Canadians go for a Republic then you go from Aristocrats to Peasents like the Americans. We all know that Canadians are not peasents but aristocrats.
Agreed

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Britain has no power over Canada, why does this subject even come up?.

Will the USA ever stop banging on about 1775?, it's what makes it what it is.........a country run and controlled by freemasons.

Why can't Canadians stop the winging (in which case, any Australian will tell you, your more like an Englishman than you care to suggest), Canada is what it is because of the VERY SAME event that makes America what it is.

Americans will never forget and celebrate, so why should you?.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Canada has been independant since before the second world war.

and we've done pretty damn well. I keep saying this....Compared with other countries in the G-8, the top 8 industrialized countries in the world, Canada looks very good. We have a strong economy, and Canada is considered the world over, as the best, or one of the best places to live. What else do you want? We have a British heritage, history, and traditions that call up our past association with Britain. Some of the traditions are dying out...when I went to school we sang "God save the King" in the morning.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Canada has been independant since before the second world war.

and we've done pretty damn well. I keep saying this....Compared with other countries in the G-8, the top 8 industrialized countries in the world, Canada looks very good. We have a strong economy, and Canada is considered the world over, as the best, or one of the best places to live. What else do you want? We have a British heritage, history, and traditions that call up our past association with Britain. Some of the traditions are dying out...when I went to school we sang "God save the King" in the morning.

Crikey #Juan!! we don't even do that over here, and my dad assures me they didn't do that in his time either!!.

Although, let's face it, the REAL King of England (it's been proven) Henry Hastings is a republican and voted for Australia to become a republic.....no better example than that!!.

General James Wolfe

Nominee Member
Oct 30, 2006
I support a closer relationship between Great Britain and Canada. I hope one day that a British subject can go to Canada and be called a Canadian as well as a Brition and a Canadain Citizen can go to Great Britain and be called a Briton as well as a Canadian.

I would like to see the British-Canadain relationship be more important then the British-American relationship. I would rather have a stronger alliance with Loyalists and Aristocrats (Canada) then Rebels and Peasents (America).

ROYAL CANADA ROCKS
REPUBLICAN AMERICA SUCKS

British Royal Armed Forces and Canadain Loyalists Forces burnt the White House in retribution for the buring of York (Toronto) by the American Rebels.

Dont become Peasents by declaring a Republic please your better than Americans.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Gee caracal

We have British Columbia. We have Nova Scotia (New Scotland) We are a member of the British Commonwealth. I suppose we could change the province names, to what, I don't know. Britain has not been a ruler of Canada for a good long time. The tradition are dying out slowly but surely, but I don't think we can force them out. In another twenty years Canada's population will surpass that of Britain. Maybe then some of you will feel more secure.:D

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
That Henry Hastings bit was some irony sorry.

But let's face it, were in a different time. believe it or not, were still dealing with the results of the events that brought down the old Empire (world war two that is), Britain has been flooded by Poles (there's 20,000) in my town alone, a country who's grip from the old soviet union has scarred it and made it poor.

Britain is still dealing with it's old problems, that shouldnt get in the way of a forward-looking Canada, closer integration would just create a drag on a young, vibrant and enigmatic country like Canada, just keep the history and remember where your from, keep the status quo, but I dont think closer integration with Britain would do Canada any favours.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
Gee caracal

We have British Columbia. We have Nova Scotia (New Scotland) We are a member of the British Commonwealth. I suppose we could change the province names, to what, I don't know. Britain has not been a ruler of Canada for a good long time. The tradition are dying out slowly but surely, but I don't think we can force them out. In another twenty years Canada's population will surpass that of Britain. Maybe then some of you will feel more secure.:D

We could change the names... Hmmm.. I live in Cascadia, or maybe Pacifica...

I was thinking with starting with our laws and constitution. The "god and queen" language rubs me the wrong way.

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
Canada's association with the british monarchy is a filthy one. The British empire was amoung the most brutal, savage and rapacious in human history--if not the worst. To add to insult to injury--we are subject to the denial of the cowardly monarchists here. May the Queen and her type rot in hell where she will find Henry the 8th and a few severed heads. I say break with these heathens.

May she rot in hell.