Anti-war crowd are demoralizing our troops.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
This article is spot on, Layton and his brigade are a stain on Canada and her proud history. These same cry babies who want our troops out of Afghanistan are the first to scream when we don't help war torn countries. It must be painful being that two faced. For those protesting contact DRL and see if they have any buses available for free?

Anti-war crowd work to demoralize Canadian troops in Afghanistan

By Judi McLeod
Wednesday, October 25, 2006
Canadian troops in Afghanistan share the same fate as their American counterparts when it comes to criticism laced with second-guessing by the far left.
In the US, troops have Queen of the Blame America First crowd, Cindy Sheehan.
In Canada, troops have New Democrat Party leader Jack Layton, who continues to use our courageous soldiers to score political points.
Organizers are working to arrange free buses at Canadian university campuses for the "Canada Out of Afghanistan" rally and march taking place October 28 in Toronto.
"We are outraged that the Canadian Armed Forces, who are currently involved in an ill-thought out American-led occupation of Afghanistan, should be allowed to recruit on our campus. We don't want our school to be involved in an unjust war," explained Trent University counter-recruiter Daniel Bastien.
Not only do the activists feel that Canada's involvement in the war is wrong, but they also point out that Canadian lives are being needlessly sacrificed. Since 2002, 43 Canadians have been killed in Afghanistan.
"We support our troops by working to bring them out of a needless and perilous situation." ( www.infoshop.org, Oct. 18, 2006).
Anti-war activists never mention that the troops, by and large comprised of volunteers, do not want to be rescued from something they believe in.
Anti-war activists also come on like experts and claim to speak out on behalf of the entire Afghani civilian population.
Trent University's counter-recruiters feel that Canada's military involvement in Afghanistan is counter-productive. The turmoil being created by the invasion is doing nothing to help improve the lives of everyday Afghanis, and is encouraging people to turn to "terrorist" in anger against the brutal "War on Terror".
In Canada, the anti-war crowd turns to Layton as its patron saint.
"Certain sectors of Canadian society are voicing their opposition to the war. NDP leader Jack Layton is on record saying that diplomatic engagement would be more fruitful than brute force. As well, the October 28 "Canada Out of Afghanistan" pan-national day of action has been called for by the Canadian Labour Congress, the Canadian Islamic Council, the Collectif Echec a la Guerre, and the Canadian Peace Alliance. Tens of thousands of people are expected to demonstrate that day."
Of course, it's easy for career politicians like Layton to criticize troops from the safety of his comfy home and office, mega miles from anything where he would have to take a real stand.
Canadian troops are too busy fighting on principle to take the time to respond to the egocentric Layton.
But Canadian soldier Josh Forbes wrote a poem, Ole Jack Layton-Thoughts From a Soldier dedicated to the NDP leader.You can read Josh's poem here.
The Opposition is using the troops to fight the fledgling, minority Steven Harper-led Conservative Government.
It was the Jean Chretien-led Liberal Government that quietly sent Canadian troops to Afghanistan on Oct. 8. 2001. And when the Liberal Government sent Canadian troops to fight the dreaded Taliban, the silence from the Canadian Labour Congress, the Canadian Islamic Council, the Collectif Echec a la Guerre, and the Canadian Peace Alliance was deafening.
Meanwhile, Jack Layton and the groups he represents owe something to Canadian troops fighting the Taliban: Sincere support.
God bless all troops protecting the rest of us in harm's way

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Thank you

Thanks for that post!!!

The boys and girls in the military want to do their job..they do a job most of us don't want to do.

They is a wear red on Friday's campain to show support of these troups.

Not support of the war..but support of the people who are there!! They need it..they deserve it!!!

You can discuss the right and wrong of being there in the House..no problem but don't EVER use these brave and devoted souls for politcal gain...

It's sick!

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
LMAO that is some wild BS right there- so I guess we (folks who think the war is a sham and a joke) will be rounded up as "Illegal Enemy combatants" soon for trying to kill the troops in Afghanistan???

TOTALLY ridiculous. If there's enough boneheads willing to leave our troop contingent there til there's none left, then some sort of "god" construct is the only thing that's gonna save them, since apparently it is now in vogue to criticize those who would end the farcical "mission" before we lose anymore lives as being the "Killers" of our men (which is weird, I don't know if it's exactly Irony, but isn't wanting the troops OUT of the way of possible pointless death sorta of trying to keep them alive??)

WOW that's a good one- BTW I don't support any party currently, so keep that in mind while you try to paint me as whatever

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
LMAO that is some wild BS right there- so I guess we (folks who think the war is a sham and a joke) will be rounded up as "Illegal Enemy combatants" soon for trying to kill the troops in Afghanistan???

Interesting how the first one in the USA to be rounded up will have to be Judge Ben Ferencz who said that Bush's war contravenes the Nuremburg Doctrine. For those who know their history, of course, it was Professor Ferencz who invented that legal doctrine. Wouldn't it be a great irony to see that 87 year old senior in chains for speaking the truth?

Of course, if the pro-war crowd is so intent on having their war, and if they are so convinced that it is worth prosecuting, they are free to set a good example for this by enlisting and fighting the war themselves!

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
how soon they forget why we entered!!!

Do you really think Canada would never be a target if the Taliban and Al-quida (sp?) were left to themselves.

I agree that it may not be going that well and I'm not sure what will come out of all this, but when something is wrong..you try to do something about it..not just sit there and hope it goes away.

As for the Army, I know many in the military and all believe in theis fight and want to make a proper and decent country for the Afghan's to live in.

Or do we wait for bad people to die of old age and hope that new ones don't take their place

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005

Or do we wait for bad people to die of old age and hope that new ones don't take their place

I cannot speak for Canada but can do so for the USA. One of its foundational prinicples was no interventionism in foreign wars or conflicts. Our involvement in Afghanistan contravenes that principle and is violative of USA interests.

If interventionism is favorable to Canada's interests, then fine. It is likely that someone else will pose a question about how or why such interventionism in Pakistan, Chechnya, or Sudan is not similarly favorable but I'll allow some Canadian to post such a challenge for your consideration.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
We are there as a member of Nato, the Afghan people want us there and have repeatedly asked us to stay. Canada is supporting Afghan Widows and children, they are teaching them vocational skills so that they can support their children in the future. We are doing the best we can in spite of the vile, filthy Muslim Extremist from other countries pushing their anti-West hoppla and killing anyone who stands in their way. If the rest of the ME would pluck off and get out of Afghanistan we'd be rebuilding instead of fighting. Perhaps the Anti-War brigade should write to the Facist leaders in the ME and tell them to mind their own damn business.

Mabudon wrote: TOTALLY ridiculous. If there's enough boneheads willing to leave our troop contingent there til there's none left, then some sort of "god" construct is the only thing that's gonna save them, since apparently it is now in vogue to criticize those who would end the farcical "mission" before we lose anymore lives as being the "Killers" of our men (which is weird, I don't know if it's exactly Irony, but isn't wanting the troops OUT of the way of possible pointless death sorta of trying to keep them alive??)

The mission is farcical to you, do you and your elk even care about the suffering of the Afghanie people? NO. That article is bang on about that anti-war brigade, know it all Uni students who haven't lived their lives yet telling society we don't wann lose anymore Troops. Guess what? The troops don't care what you want, they know they are doing the honorable thing. Your phony platitudes are falling on deaf ears.

Regarding protestors getting arrested, no I don't think so free speech is alive in Canada. Well unless you are a Christian and you protest "Anything" that might offend the PC crowd then of course you will be arrested.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
btw,

I still think we should be there but definitely not doing things the way they're being done now. The trash coming out of NATO and CF command reeks of WW I bureaucratic incompetence.

regroup
rethink
redeploy

and I'm sure the weekly announcements out by the brass that they don't have enough troops to get the job done really makes good pep rally material inside the wire.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Well Sassy, I can't speak for Canadian troops, but all the U.S. troops I know don't give a flying f*** about the anti-war crowd. So if I were you, I wouldn't worry about the affect that these "lovers not fighters" have on morale. They are a non-factor, and I can promise you any soldier fighting for his life over there doesnt give the first thought to whether or not some peacenik is worried about his or her welfare.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I can see all the typical left wingnuts are out in force missing the point as usual.

Good post Sass, our Troops deserve nothing less.

Ya ya, bring on the typical BS libbies.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Well Sassy, I can't speak for Canadian troops, but all the U.S. troops I know don't give a flying f*** about the anti-war crowd. So if I were you, I wouldn't worry about the affect that these "lovers not fighters" have on morale. They are a non-factor, and I can promise you any soldier fighting for his life over there doesnt give the first thought to whether or not some peacenik is worried about his or her welfare.

these veterans may not quite agree:

http://www.ivaw.org/

About IVAW

Iraq Veterans Against the War (IVAW) was founded by Iraq war veterans in July 2004 at the annual convention of Veterans for Peace (VFP) in Boston to give a voice to the large number of active duty service people and veterans who are against this war, but are under various pressures to remain silent.
From its inception, IVAW has called for:
  • Immediate withdrawal of all occupying forces in Iraq;
  • Reparations for the pillaging and destruction of Iraq so that ordinary Iraqi people can control their own lives and future; and
  • Full benefits, adequate healthcare (including mental health), and other supports for returning servicemen and women.
Today, IVAW members are in 32 states, Washington, D.C., Canada, and on numerous bases overseas, including Iraq. IVAW members educate the public about the realities of the Iraq war by speaking in communities and to the media about their experiences. Members also dialogue with youth in classrooms about the realities of military service. IVAW supports all those resisting the war, including Conscientious Objectors and others facing military prosecution for their refusal to fight.IVAW advocates for full funding for the Veterans Administration, and full quality health treatment (including mental health) and benefits for veterans when they return from duty.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Once again, a misrepresentation of the truth, IVAW is not anti soldier, they are anti war. I really wish these liberal wimps would stop reading things the way they want them to be and start actually reading and understanding what is really said.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
IVAW is not anti soldier, they are anti war

Precisely my point. If only the pro-war types would get their brains out of their stinkholes and read it they would know.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
IVAW is not anti soldier, they are anti war

Precisely my point. If only the pro-war types would get their brains out of their stinkholes and read it they would know.
You do need to read what you write, just a tad better.

Originally Posted by thomaska

^^^^^Not a pro war comment^^^^^
but a Pro soldier comment

these veterans may not quite agree:<---goopher said

I'm not to sure, but I think your anti-western agenda, might just be clouding your judgement or reading/posting skills.

You tried to rebute tomaska with a pro soldier group, that is against the WAR, not the soldiers.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I dont think Anti-war crowds are demoralizing our troops. I think getting shot at and killed are a greater concern then people who oppose the war.
We live in a free country. We dont have to blindly support the war. This isn't the Soviet Union. We are free to question why we are in a war.
Anti-war demonstrators are doing more to save soldiers lives then those who want to send more troops off to get killed.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
I think the right is just getting scared with the Islamic, anti-war issue because they are losing on all fronts.

However, once you begin to lose you begin to get radical. Hum, maybe we should look at right-wing terrorists.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Sure Gonso a bus full of 19 year old Uni Students who live off the tax payers funded Education system are saving lives. That article was bang on, a bunch of no-it-alls who don't know what it's like to be cold, hungry, raped, widowed, orphaned, no home, a Imam who decides if you are Muslim enough. The pot at Uni must be strong these day.

Bear and Tamaska I don't take these people seriously, nor do our troops. How can we, they are babies who know nothing of this world. A wise man once told me you are born a Liberal but we always die a Conservative. Like I said a wise man is Zoofer.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
First off, university is very expensive. People who go are not living off of tax payers.
Being cold, hungry, raped, widowed, orphaned, happens alot when your country is a war zone. After all this time, Afghanistan is no better. It's worse.
And if you say that soldiers dont take protesters seriously, then why is this thread called "Anti war crowd are demoralizing our troops"?

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Our "mission" will have little effect on eradicating any of the factors (nice, talking-point factors) that you emphasize in that post, SL.

I am a far cry from a know it all UNI student... I, in fact, never got the "priveledge" to attend such an institution, and in fact spent some of my formative years "cold and hungry"

So say what you will about any who oppose the war, you are still spouting nothing bu empty rhetoric and talking points.

My opposition to the failure that IS the "Afghan mission" has nothing to do with party politics or my imaginary education, it is based on the facts as I have learned and will continue to learn them, and conclusions I draw from therm, not a script as you seem to allege, drilled into me by some "Pinko University teacher who doesn't know what real life is"

And BitWhys- I diiid I did have Elk, but that was earlier, maybe ask me again tomorrow