Metric the communist plot (we lost?)

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Um, can you believe this old cbc cast?

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-75-1572-10614/science_technology/metric_system/clip5

If you ask me this is still how some Americans view the world. Somewhatmessed up.

So um, did the great "communist" plot of metric work in Canada. We all use it now here, are we all marching down Yonge street on May 1st with our red flags and Lenin posters, or is metric just a better system and even though the USA has yet to adopt it, many agencies inside of the USA including NASA has.

Of course to maybe NASA is full of pinkos? lmao. Though this would be an interesting little bit of history to listen to.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
RE: Metric the communist

What a load of crap. The metric system is the most practical system of measurement, period. I can't believe anyone would think it was a communist conspiracy...everyone knows it's a french conspiracy :wink:

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: RE: Metric the communist

gc said:
What a load of crap. The metric system is the most practical system of measurement, period. I can't believe anyone would think it was a communist conspiracy...everyone knows it's a french conspiracy :wink:

Yeah... the French, I'm sure BlackLeaf and others would say are the orginal communists. lol

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
I think people would be well served if the auto industry set their sights on getting 40 rods to the hogshead out of their vehicles.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Those of us who were in high school when the conversion arrived got *censored* by it. I'm still more comfortable with imperial measurement.

Did you watch the NHL draft on TSN yesterday? They described everyone's height and weight in inches and pounds, not kilograms and centimeters. I think they were televising only to a Canadian audience. I have yet to see anyone at Hockey Night in Canada describe a player's measurements using metric.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The thing is, I like Canada. Its clean, and it makes good beer. Also, it has a spirit of general social co-operation you find lacking in the States, a good example being the metric system. You may recall that a while back we were supposed to convert to the metric system from our current system of measurement, known as the "correct" or "real' system. The metric system was supposed to result in major economic benefits deriving from the fact that you, the consumer, would suddenly have no idea how the hell much anything costs. Take coleslaw........In a metric supermarket, the Deli person would say "How much do you want? A kilometer? A Hectare? Hurry up! My break starts in five litres!" You'd get all confused and wind up buying enough coleslaw to fill a wading pool, and the economy would prosper.

So metric conversion was clearly a good idea, and when the government starting putting up metric highway signs (SPEED LIMIT 173 CENTIPEDES) Americans warmly responded by shooting them down. Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine millimeter bullet.

Meanwhile the Canadians, being co-operative, went ahead and actually converted.

From "What has Four Legs and Flies" in Dave Barry Talks Back, by (surprize) Dave Barry

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Converting 'miles per hour' to 'centipedes per milliliter' was a tuffy.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un
Americans who come to Canada and see the speed sign 50, they drive 50mph?
Police makes lot's of money.

Or, people from any other country go to US and drive at speed 50–65 kmh at highways,
They get tickets, too.

The chaotic world :lol:

farside

Sep 24, 2005
Authorization of the Metric System by Congress in 1866

§ 204. Metric system authorized. - It shall be lawful throughout the United States of America to employ the weights and measures of the metric system; and no contract or dealing, or pleading in any court, shall be deemed invalid or liable to objection because the weights or measures expressed or referred to therein are weights or measures of the metric system. (14 Stat. 339, Adopted July 28,1866)

source -- http://ts.nist.gov/ts/htdocs/200/202/pub814.htm#act

Kind Regards,
Farside

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
The old Imperial system at least gave us ties to our roots. There's something to be said in strengthening and not weakening your traditions. Is metric easier to acquire and easier to use mathematically? Certainly. But the imperial system, being tougher, demanded more attention and commitment. That's good for young minds. I use both systems but prefer Imperial. An inch, a foot, a yard. Linguistic simplicity. Almost poetry.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The USA versus The Rest of The World

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
In retrospect, converting to the metric system sure seems like a silly idea. Of course, it would be even sillier to convert back now. But it did make math easier in elementary school.

Not really. Because now two systems of measurement have to be taught - metric and imperial.

All one leeds to do is look around and see how much the imperial system is still being used.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I see this most often in grocery store ads.

Meat is listed with the price per lb. in larger type than the price per kg. Psychologically, it is better to pay $2.49/lb for meat than $5.48/kg.

I've never been able to figure out why they use litres per 100 km as a measure of fuel mileage instead of km per litre though. Today, many people still use gas mileage - 50 mpg .zb as a measure of efficiency rather than litres/100km.

When your neighbour and biggest trading partner, the US, uses lb, feet and gallons, it's hard not to do so yourself. I suppose the only minor hangup is imp. vs us gallons.

In the early 70s, I was driving down a road under construction. The sign said, "40 KPH for the next two miles." I'll never forget that, and those metric stickers Cdn Tire sold to put on your mph speedometer, so you knew how fast to go.

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
In the early 70s, I was driving down a road under construction. The sign said, "40 KPH for the next two miles." I'll never forget that, and those metric stickers Cdn Tire sold to put on your mph speedometer, so you knew how fast to go.
OMG...I forgot about those, in fact some cars had both for a while... yeah..

And I remember around that time coming up behind elderly people who were doing 60 in an 80 kilometer likely because they were confused. It was dangerous at the beginning especially for the elderly driver. (especially if I was stuck behind them [jk])

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Converting to Litres made sense. Our gallon was not the same size as the US gallon.

I was in grade school when they switched so I am pretty fluent in both but I can see how the change would have messed up some old farts.

Converting back would be the mark of insanity.

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
I've never been able to figure out why they use litres per 100 km as a measure of fuel mileage instead of km per litre though.

That's a pet peeve of mine. Km per litre would be fine for comparison of different vehicles.

The metric system being brought into Canada a communist conspiracy?? Which Prime Minister brought that into law anyhow. Pierre Trudeau[/URL], I think??

Yup, Trudeau.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I'd rather use metric. Started using it way back when I was in Jr High in science labs. And I'd make a bet that any science uses metric. Trouble is that not everything changed to metric. Lumber's an odd one because they still use terminology like "2X4" when the 2X4s are not really 2X4s, they're 1.5" X 3.5". It'd be a lot easier to go by cm than those dumb measurements because the actual measurements are closer to 4cmX10cm than they are to 2"X4". Easier to say that I am 184cm than it is to say 6'1/2" and more accurate, as well. What annoys me is the fuel mileage issue. We used to say mi/gal and some moron came up with the idea of using l/100km instead of km/l. converting is a pain in the a$$

That's a pet peeve of mine. Km per litre would be fine for comparison of different vehicles.
Exactly.