June 1st Question Period zinger of the day

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Hon. David Emerson (Minister of International Trade and Minister for the Pacific Gateway and the Vancouver-Whistler Olympics said:
Mr. Speaker, the hon. member might just want to sit around his cappuccino bars in West Vancouver and not go out to the communities where people are trying to make a living in the softwood lumber business. Those people are being hurt by continued litigation and continued trade wars.

This government and this Prime Minister have brought certainty, stability and some sense of a future for the softwood lumber industry.

Mr. Blair Wilson (West Vancouver—Sunshine Coast—Sea to Sky Country said:
Mr. Speaker, at least I can leave Ottawa and go back to Vancouver.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

the crowd goes wild

after a while Wilson stops there and just sits down to notable applause

:wav:

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
It was a show stopper.

Two day project during Statements by Members...

Number one, appointing a Conservative organizer to the Senate.

Number two, enticing a Liberal to cross the floor to his cabinet and recite the “harpocratic” oath.

Number three, muzzling the media by trying to hand pick who will ask questions.

Number four, disrespecting the Ethics Commissioner by refusing to cooperate.

Number five, creating an accountability bill that will make government less accountable.

Number six, standing idly by while his Conservative friends register as government lobbyists.

Number seven, recruiting lobbyists to his government.

Number eight, appointing his cabinet co-chair to the Privy Council.

Number nine, nominating a key Conservative fundraiser to chair the public appointments commission.

Number 10, scrapping the public appointments commission when he does not get his way with the nomination.

Number 11, dismissing the Kelowna accord.

Number 12, stalling progress on aboriginal issues by snubbing the aboriginal affairs committee.

Number 13, stalling the implementation of the residential schools agreement.

Number 14, reneging on his election promise to include the Métis in the residential schools agreement.

Number 15, undermining the procurement strategy for aboriginal business by allowing non-native companies to bid on contracts.

Number 16, refusing to uphold $400 million in extra funding for water treatment on reserves.

Number 17, announcing its own first nations water strategy with not one dollar attached to it.

Number 18, insulting aboriginal groups by ignoring their work at creating an independent first nations auditor general.

Number 19, scrapping $1.8 billion for aboriginal education programs.

Number 20, completely ignoring Canada's north by neglecting to implement the Liberals' northern strategy, and breaking the Conservatives' own promise to the north by cancelling icebreakers in deep water ports.

Number 21: keep ministers and caucus members quiet.

Number 22: suggest imprisoning journalists.

Number 23: quash the Public Servants Disclosure Protection Act.

Number 24: have committee chairs selected by Prime Minister.

Number 25: keep cabinet meetings secret.

Number 26: use favouritism in allocating funding for infrastructure.

Number 27: get rid of Public Appointments Commission if our friend is not elected chair.

Number 28: appoint a former unilingual Conservative minister to the highest bureaucratic position in Prince Edward Island.

Number 29: allow the Minister of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency to threaten members from Atlantic Canada.

Number 30: only allow participants of a round table in Calgary to be heard if they received permission beforehand.

Number 31: reject the Kyoto protocol.

Number 32: attempt to undermine the Kyoto protocol by asking Canadian officials to block any consensus on the next phase.

Number 33: drop Project Green.

Number 34: announce late one statutory holiday that 15 programs on climate change will be cancelled.

Number 35: promise $2 billion to fight climate change without any budgetary measure.

Number 36: attempt to join the Asia-Pacific Partnership despite the absence of penalties or rules for greenhouse gas emissions.

Number 37: intend to be part of the Asia-Pacific Partnership when the U.S. Congress has pulled out all its funding.

Number 38: eliminate a made-in-Canada solution that would have resolved 80% of the problem.

Number 39: reject popular programs such as the One Tonne Challenge and EnerGuide.

Number 40: discourage the production of renewable and wind energy by cancelling support for such production.

Number 41, increased the lowest tax rate from 15% to 15.5%.

Number 42, added 200,000 low income Canadians to the tax rolls.

Number 43, GST cut for the wealthy from the pockets of the lowest income Canadians.

Number 44, knowingly raised the personal income taxes of Canadians and tried to pass it off as a tax cut.

Number 45, promised to cut capital gains tax but did not do a thing in the budget.

Number 46, pitted province against province in the equalization debate.

Number 47, misled Canadians by saying their income taxes are being lowered.

Number 48, promised to fix the fiscal imbalance and did nothing in the budget.

Number 49, replaced billions of dollars in post-secondary assistance with a single $80 textbook credit.

Number 50, gave tax credits to hockey parents but not music parents.

Number 51, refusing to lower the flag in honour of our fallen soldiers.

Number 52, insulting the families of our fallen soldiers by banning media coverage of the repatriation ceremonies.

Number 53, muzzling the Chief of Defence Staff, General Hillier.

Number 54, stopping the acquisition of urgently needed tactical airlift to replace our Hercs.

Number 55, breaking promises for icebreakers for the Arctic.

Number 56, compromising the legal protection of our soldiers by ordering them to operate in conflict outside the Geneva convention.

Number 57, cutting funding to Hamas but not allowing these funds to get to the Palestinian people.

Number 58, having foreign dignitaries greeted with latex gloves and body searches.

Number 59, playing politics with the lives of our soldiers by demanding a vote on an Afghan mission with less than two days' notice and six hours of debate.

Number 60, the Prime Minister asking for that debate and saying that it did not matter what the House decided, he was going to extend the mission anyway.

Number 61: show lack of respect toward the democratically elected Premier of Ontario.

Number 62: force the provinces to renegotiate workforce partnership agreements.

Number 63: provide no infrastructure funding to expand the diversion canal in Winnipeg.

Number 64: remain silent about the $55 million required for the 2010 Olympics.

Number 65: break promise to British Columbia by spreading out over eight years the funding for the Pacific Gateway.

Number 66: breach agreement with Quebec whereby it would have received $328 million under Kyoto.

Number 67: take over the Liberal 10-year plan to consolidate health care, contrary to the promise to do more.

Number 68: promise to address the wait time problem, but fail to provide funding to do so.

Number 69: remain silent about the election promise to compensate hepatitis C victims immediately.

Number 70: remain silent about New Brunswick, which has stopped providing access to abortion services, contrary to the provisions of the Canada Health Act.

Number 71, coining a new term in Canadian politics, “harpocracy”.

Number 72, keeping the public in the dark by muzzling the media.

Number 73, Americanizing Canada.

Number 74, banning government departments from communicating with MPs' offices.

Number 75, abandoning the homeless, with funding for jails but no funding for homelessness.

Number 76, abandoning research and development.

Number 77, no vision for competitiveness to move Canada forward in the global economy.

Number 78, neglecting official language minorities by leaving official languages out of the throne speech and the budget.

Number 79, insulting Canadian judges and the justice system.

Number 80, pigeonholing the diverse needs of Canadians into five oversimplified priorities.

Number 81: abolishing financing for the Canadian Unity Council.

Number 82: promising $300 million to the Canada Council, but only allocating $50 million.

Number 83: opposing a motion to maintain support for culture at current levels.

Number 84: withdrawing funding for the National Literacy Secretariat.

Number 85: breaking their promise to speed up the foreign credential recognition process.

Number 86: cutting $145 million from annual funding for the immigration system.

Number 87: calling themselves the party for rural Canada, but not appointing a minister or parliamentary secretary for rural affairs.

Number 88: threatening to dismantle the Canadian Wheat Board and the supply management system.

Number 89: not announcing one cent this spring to help farmers.

Number 90: despite their promises, not having a real plan for biofuel production—

Number 91, abandoning working parents by scrapping the provincial child care agreements.

Number 92, abandoning working parents with a bogus promise to create child care spaces.

Number 93, abandoning working parents with a broken promise that he will not scale back the Canada child tax benefit to pay for his child care allowance.

Number 94, abandoning working parents by cancelling the young child supplement to pay for his child care allowance.

Number 95, abandoning a commitment to create additional child care spaces by offloading the responsibility to businesses and communities.

Number 96, misleading Canadians about our early learning and child care initiative by claiming we did not create a single space, even though he knows we did.

Number 97, abandoning Saskatchewan preschoolers by forcing their junior kindergarten program to the cutting room floor.

Number 98, abandoning Manitoba's special needs children by leaving them to languish on waiting lists.

Number 99, abandoning innovation in Canada by cutting funds to the granting councils.

And number 100, abandoning Canadian students by cancelling direct investment for post-secondary education.

One hundred days of shame.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: June 1st Question Per

I support Blair Wilson's comments about David Emerson. Emerson is a traitor and a fucken dirtbag. I'm disappointed that Harper hasn't thrown Emerson out of the Conservative party.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Geeeezzzuuuus, Bit Whys, do you have a life?

That has to be the most negative list I have ever seen anyone put together about any politician. Get over it, Harper won, and wil continue to lead this country for some time.

I cannot help but note that you did not include any of his campaign promisses that he kept in your list. Highly unfair.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
bluealberta said:
Geeeezzzuuuus, Bit Whys, do you have a life?

That has to be the most negative list I have ever seen anyone put together about any politician. Get over it, Harper won, and wil continue to lead this country for some time.

I cannot help but note that you did not include any of his campaign promisses that he kept in your list. Highly unfair.

WHO "didn't include"???

ME???

:roll:

BitWhys said:
Two day project during Statements by Members...

let me spell it out for you a little...

Statements by Members

I have more of a life than you have a clue.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Re: RE: June 1st Question Per

JonB2004 said:
I support Blair Wilson's comments about David Emerson. Emerson is a traitor and a *censored* dirtbag. I'm disappointed that Harper hasn't thrown Emerson out of the Conservative party.

Harper needed Emerson to keep the momentum on the lumber deal going. Those terms were nothing new.

It really was funny as hell. The house cracked up. I think Wilson even surprised himself. :lol:

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Emerson...... Emerson..... One of my first let downs of the Conservative party taking power. What could I say what hasn't already been said about what I feel about Emerson and how much Harper let me down and even a lot of the members of his own political party who thought things were going to be different. I really hope next election this guy gets beaten bad!

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Wow 90 something points where the Cons failed or screwed up on something. Am I surprised.

NO. NOT BY ONE SECOND.

And its sad. And funny at the same time. :D

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Jersay said:
Wow 90 something points where the Cons failed or screwed up on something. Am I surprised.

NO. NOT BY ONE SECOND.

And its sad. And funny at the same time. :D

So why don't you guys provide a list of the LIbs screw ups? Oh yeah, we would ground the internet with a list that long. :roll:

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: June 1st Question Per

Vicious said:
The liberals are hilarious in opposition. Let's leave the there for a few years.

Agreed. It is said that everyone rises to the level of their incompetence (Peter Principle) and it appears the Libs and the NDP have just risen to their respective levels. May they remain there forever.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
bluealberta, perhaps you're confused.

BitWhys didn't create that list.

Members of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition stood, for two days, with each member saying the next ten or so items on that list, until they reached their one-hundred mark. I watched Statements by Members both days, and I thought it was kinda cute. I think the list was entitled "One Hundred Days of Harpocrisy", or something as such.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: June 1st Question Period zinger of the day

FiveParadox said:
bluealberta, perhaps you're confused.

BitWhys didn't create that list.

Members of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition stood, for two days, with each member saying the next ten or so items on that list, until they reached their one-hundred mark. I watched Statements by Members both days, and I thought it was kinda cute. I think the list was entitled "One Hundred Days of Harpocrisy", or something as such.

I was not aware of that, Five, but as I said, they have risen to their level of incompetence.

BTW, did they not have anything better to do? We sure pay them a lot of money for making foolish lists that in some cases repeat themselves, and hey, given their record, who are they to criticize. At least the CPC has not been shown to steal money, or to launder money, or..............well, you get the point.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If you want non-partisan, calm debate, then you should be looking to the Senate, bluealberta, rather than our House of Commons (I don't care which parties are in the Senate, or that they're unelected — they tend to do a much better, much more thorough job of things than the preschool-attituders we have running around in the Lower House).

Besides, they wanted to make a point, and for many, they did.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: June 1st Question Period zinger of the day

FiveParadox said:
If you want non-partisan, calm debate, then you should be looking to the Senate, bluealberta, rather than our House of Commons (I don't care which parties are in the Senate, or that they're unelected — they tend to do a much better, much more thorough job of things than the preschool-attituders we have running around in the Lower House).

Besides, they wanted to make a point, and for many, they did.

Trouble is, the point was pointless!!!

As for the Senate, well hell, they are too old and feeble in a lot of cases to get too excitable. They don't go to a regular bar, they attend an oxygen bar!!

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Are you kidding me? They go to the Bar of the Senate all the time! They have to pass it to get in (and out) of the Chamber. :p Okay, now I'm just playing with your words, haha.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
The Senate doesn't make a big noise because they prefer not to be noticed. They are scared that if enough people actually find out that these guys wern't elected, that these guys don't even have to show up to work all the time, and that these guys have the job until they are 75 and never have to be worried about having to go threw an election they might lose there jobs. lol. Yeah they can sit on there collective burocratic asses and get there nice big fat pay check and laugh all the way to the bank.

The Americans have bombed counties with more democratic Senates then we have.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yes, Finder, I get it. The Senate is unelected, and therefore nothing good has ever, is, or is ever going to come out of the Senate, because since they are unelected, they are incapable of doing anything right or in the interest of Canada, and since you have obviously read the Debates and into their work in previous years, since you are so knowledgeable on this subject, you would be just the person to go to to know that they have never, ever done anything to be appreciated.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
RE: June 1st Question Per

I kinda like having the old duffs tootling around with fine tooth combs.