8 NDPers show up for Afghanistan parliamentary debate

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
For all the noise made by the loyal opposition on the need for Parliamentary debate on Canada's role in Afghanistan, where were they?

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: 8 NDPers show up for

Nice. All this bitching from the NDP and nobody shows up. What the hell is that.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Well depends what the others were doing... if I lived in there riding and thought I cared about the issue that much I'd write them and find out why they didn't go. However I doubt everyone form the other parties showed up. To have a debate we all know you do not need all the members from the parties present and it rarely ever does happen.

BTW why are you so scared about debating, arn't we defeanding democracy in Afghanistan, so why can't we practice it here without bitching about asking for a debate...

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Finder said:
Well depends what the others were doing... if I lived in there riding and thought I cared about the issue that much I'd write them and find out why they didn't go. However I doubt everyone form the other parties showed up. To have a debate we all know you do not need all the members from the parties present and it rarely ever does happen.

BTW why are you so scared about debating, arn't we defeanding democracy in Afghanistan, so why can't we practice it here without bitching about asking for a debate...

80-someodd members of parliament showed up.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
I found it rather amusing that there were 2 members of the NDP ourside parliment demanding our troops be brought home, while their conterparts were inside claiming the party supports the mission :lol: ....what a group of monkeys.

From what I saw the Conservatives and the Liberals were backhanding the NDP

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I guess preparation for easter Egg hunts took precedence to the mission.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
well, without a vote, the debate could consist of 2 MPs so long as both sides were prepared.

What is worse though, the 80 showing up, or that only 35 were left by the end? Is this how apathetic canada is?

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
Total MPs: 80 / 308

NDP: 8 / 29

Seems that the whips did their jobs, the percentages are right.

What is worse though, the 80 showing up, or that only 35 were left by the end? Is this how apathetic canada is?

Yes. After watching the behaviour of our Members of Parliament in the last few sessions you can't be surprised. They make the Taiwanees Parliamentarians look good.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Debates in the Commons

I have noticed that, in terms of the House of Commons, attendance seems to peak around the time of question period, votes on Government bills, and votes on supply motions. Otherwise, the House membership tends to dwindle. In terms of a debate, though, with three hundred eight members, the debate would have had to be fifty-one hours long for each member to say their piece — it wouldn't have made sense for the entire membership of the House to be there, considering the limited nature of the debate.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Hank C said:
I found it rather amusing that there were 2 members of the NDP ourside parliment demanding our troops be brought home, while their conterparts were inside claiming the party supports the mission :lol: ....what a group of monkeys.

From what I saw the Conservatives and the Liberals were backhanding the NDP
It wasn't Svend Robinson was it? :lol:
We know the trouble he caused the time he was in Israel.

As for the debate, the Conservatives allowed debate on Canada's Mission in Afghanistan unlike the Liberals who didn't. Hopefully the debate is over for now.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Kreskin said:
Finder said:

80-someodd members of parliament showed up.

If that is true, then it is somewhat sad, or, good seeing that perhaps many MP's were more envolved in there communities.

Either way all the MP's did it, and it's nothing new. As being an MP is a very hard job, to balance your duties in Ottawa and in your home riding which can be all the way across the country.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
I would expect the 170 or so Members who weren't there will check the Hansards and at least read any juicy parts those who were in attendance recommend, like they usually do.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
I like how the NDP attempted to disguise their disgust for the mission and the US......I wish more of Canada would of been able to see it.

Love how the Cons and Libs brought up NDP opposition to any war, even WW2. These idiots were like children, bringing up questions they know cannot be answered, then they ask for a vote on the mission in 2007. They say they are in support now but come time for a vote you will see the extremists rear their ugly heads....there are alot more extremists than the NDP monkeys who were outside parliment last night protesting.

By any chance does anyone know who those monkeys where????? If i had to guess I would say one of them was Robinson?? :lol:

Oh yea my favorite one was when an NDP member referred to us as warmakers :roll:

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
*grumble*

This country needs a huge whack in the face... It's hard to blame people for being so cynical towards polictics.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
wondering

if only 8 NDP showed up for the debate how did 10 of them manage to speak?

Dawn Black
Peter Stoffer
Yvon Godin
Jack Layton
Alexa McDonough
Bill Siksay
Alex Atamanenko
Libby Davies
Paul Dewar
Peggy Nash

Jo Canadian

Council Member