The Conservative Agenda

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Honourable James Flaherty, P.C., M.P., the Member for Whitby—Oshawa and Minister of Finance, spoke to an audience of community leaders, and re-iterated the five main objectives of the current Government of Canada, re-affirming the commitment of the Conservative Ministry, during the election, to get things done for Canadians.

The Web site for the [i said:
Conservative Party of Canada[/i]]• Cleaning up the government by passing the Federal Accountability Act.
• Provide real tax relief to working families by cutting the GST
• Make our streets and communities safer by cracking down on crime
• Provide parents with Choice in Child Care through direct financial assistance
• Work with the provinces to establish a Patient Wait Times Guarantee

Click here to read the entire article, in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire l'article entier, en français.
:arrow: My Opinion

I have to laugh when I see this article, in particular the promise to enact the Federal Accountability Act — I suppose that they are going to wait to enact it, until after the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Prime Minister of Canada and Member for Calgary Southwest, has thrown the authority of the Parliament Assembled out the door, in his efforts to get rid of the Ethics Commissioner of Canada?

In terms of the "Choice in Child Care" plan, considering the three opposition parties have expressed a wish to prevent this plan from becoming policy, I would assert that we are not going to see any such program enacted any time soon; rather, I think it would be more likely to see the legislation proposed by Olivia Chow, M.P., the Member for Trinity—Spadina and Child Care Critic for the New Democratic Party of Canada passed, which would enshrine the agreements with the provinces in the Statutes of Canada.

:?: Sources
Click here for the Web site of the Conservative Party of Canada.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
The Prime Minister seems to be in hiding from Joe Public, I can't wait till the media starts eating him bite by bite.

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005
RE: The Conservative Agen

I wonder what a harper burget tastes like. Most likely like crap, since he's full of it.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
:lol:

Good one.

Actually it sounds like they are edging towards deficit.

And if they do go into deficit, it will be just like a COnservative government to go into deficit, while they say the NDP spends.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Conservative Party of Canada has stated that a budget is going to be introduced in May. It should be interesting to see how it progresses in the House of Commons and the Senate — the latter of which is overwhelmingly dominated by the Liberal Party of Canada, and the former of which is dominated by an opposition behemently opposed to terminating child care agreements and introducing a new child tax credit.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If the Opposition sees that the budget would put the nation into deficit again, then to Hell with a "stable Parliament." Bring them down.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Potted Meat (A Newfoundland gourment item) know one knows what's in it or won't tell me what the ingridients are.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
depends how the Social Democratic dominated bloq votes. Supposedly they are ready to back the Conservatives, and with how Harper seems to be ready to give into the more then the liberals I wouldn'tbe surprised if the Bloq does end up keeping the Tory's alive for now. The Democrat's and the Grit's will need to work closely together.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: The Conservative Agenda

FiveParadox said:
If the Opposition sees that the budget would put the nation into deficit again, then to Hell with a "stable Parliament." Bring them down.

I agree. Budgets MUST remain balanced, period.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Sassylassie said:
The Prime Minister seems to be in hiding from Joe Public, I can't wait till the media starts eating him bite by bite.

Sorry, I could have stood and cheered when Harper told a quizzical reporter "When I have an announcement to make, I'll be available."

I get REALLY tired of watching grown men, suppozedly "leaders" (envision Paul Martin) unashamedly sucking up to any cub reporter with a disposable camera.

Its enough to make a guy blow chunks.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
He is hiding from the Media because he is afraid that he or his party members will show their true colors or stick their foot in their mouths. When it becomes advantages for him to Squeal like a pig-Squeal he will.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Given the current determination of the New Democratic Party of Canada to throw up a motion of censure, a motion which I think would be supported by both the Liberal Party of Canada and the Bloc Québécois (since those three parties have vowed to block any attempts by the current Government of Canada to attempt to remove Doctor Bernard Shapiro as the Ethics Commissioner of Canada), I think it would be funny to see it go through.

And a wake-up call for the Prime Minister of Canada.

A motion of censure wouldn't defeat the Government, but it would be a slap-in-the-face, on-the-record rebuke of the conduct of the Prime Minister — which is at this point, in my opinion, warranted. It would be embarassing for someone who had run on an election campaign of accountability, but it would perhaps knock some sense into the man.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Colpy said:
Sassylassie said:

Sorry, I could have stood and cheered when Harper told a quizzical reporter "When I have an announcement to make, I'll be available."

I get REALLY tired of watching grown men, suppozedly "leaders" (envision Paul Martin) unashamedly sucking up to any cub reporter with a disposable camera.

Its enough to make a guy blow chunks.

I don't know. Conservatives in the states have done a horrible job at balancing the budgets. Plus if you try to use Alberta as a case of a conservative government having a surplus, well that would work if all of Canada sat on oil. :twisted:

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

Colpy said:
FiveParadox said:

I agree. Budgets MUST remain balanced, period.

They wont go into deficit, its political suicide and I'm sure Harper is much more shrewd than that. They economy is doing well, productivity is supposedly going up......

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hank C, I hope you are correct; but with the promises that the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P. has made thus far, even without those that the Minister of Finance has said are not going to be included in the first budget, I do not see how they are going to meet their obligations — in particular, with the tax cut that is going to be costing even more from the Consolidated Revenue Fund.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

FiveParadox said:
Hank C, I hope you are correct; but with the promises that the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P. has made thus far, even without those that the Minister of Finance has said are not going to be included in the first budget, I do not see how they are going to meet their obligations — in particular, with the tax cut that is going to be costing even more from the Consolidated Revenue Fund.

I have yet to see a political party live up to all their promises....I doubt the tories are going to be any different.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
No, of course not, Hank C.

But in my opinion, my mind anyway, a balanced budget is a necessity in modern-day Canada. If the Conservative Party of Canada would dare to push through a red budget (negative numbers, not the Grits' colour code, hehe), then I would support the outright defeat of the Government of Canada immediately.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

FiveParadox said:
No, of course not, Hank C.

But in my opinion, my mind anyway, a balanced budget is a necessity in modern-day Canada. If the Conservative Party of Canada would dare to push through a red budget (negative numbers, not the Grits' colour code, hehe), then I would support the outright defeat of the Government of Canada immediately.

as would I........