What does the moderate left like about the moderate right?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
This is a thread for those who might normally sympathise with teh left but still have a right streak on at least some issues none-the-less.

I'm not particularly partisan, but if I had to choose, I'd probably be moderate left.

On the other hand, there are areas in which I'd certainly consider myself moderate (some might say far) right:

Capital punishment for murder and arson (with the option of life imprisonement).

More decentralization of power to the local levels of government.

Fines for adultery.

Branding for third theft offences.

Life defined as beginning at conception.

Marriage granted only to one heterosexual male and one heterosexual female.

Those are some examples of my left views. While I'm sure they might seem harsh, I do have some more compassionate left views too, but this here is a thread for the right, so I'll focus more exclusively on my right-leaning views here.

So are there other left-leaners (or those who'd normally consider themselves left-leaning) out there who make exceptions for certain principles?

poligeek

Electoral Member
Jan 6, 2006
Toronto
Re: What does the moderate left like about the moderate righ

Machjo said:
This is a thread for those who might normally sympathise with teh left but still have a right streak on at least some issues none-the-less.

I'm not particularly partisan, but if I had to choose, I'd probably be moderate left.

On the other hand, there are areas in which I'd certainly consider myself moderate (some might say far) right:

Capital punishment for murder and arson (with the option of life imprisonement).

More decentralization of power to the local levels of government.

Fines for adultery.

Branding for third theft offences.

Life defined as beginning at conception.

Marriage granted only to one heterosexual male and one heterosexual female.

Those are some examples of my left views. While I'm sure they might seem harsh, I do have some more compassionate left views too, but this here is a thread for the right, so I'll focus more exclusively on my right-leaning views here.

So are there other left-leaners (or those who'd normally consider themselves left-leaning) out there who make exceptions for certain principles?

I think the difficulty in labelling ones self is that there isn't really a unilateral right and left.

There is a thread on here that posts the political compass, (I think it's called "Could you be a Nazi and Not Know it"?)

Generally Left and Right used to be judged on an economic basis, where left was more collective and social spending where right was very little government spending and leaving as much money in hands of individuals as possible.

The ideological difference being that extreme left would argue that we are stronger together so more collective spending will build a better society and a extremem right may argue that the more free the market is the more free the people are.

Conversley there is a Libertarian / Authoritarian scale.... Libertarian is typically associated with old-style conservativism and free markets while Authortarian has often been associated with a neo-con or social conservativism...

But neither of these are entirely true. You can have an authoritarian left (Stalin, Mao) and an Authoritarian right (Hitler, Mussolini).

Likewise there is a Libertarian left and right.

Myself when I took the test I fell as a fairly extremem libertarian left leaning.... I'm not sure if that's correct, but I do agree with most libertarian views (which are shared by many conservatives), however I very much disagree with many social-conservative views such as bans on abortion, death penalty, restricting marriage to heterosexual couples etc...

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
RE: What does the moderate left like about the moderate righ

Interesting. Some of my views might be viewd as at least moderate left if not more than moderate.

I'm for quality universal compulsory education.

World federation. (That would mean common currency, citizenship, auxiliary language, common military force and common policy on natural resources).

Society being responsible to ensure all are trained in a job or profession and have work (I could add on to my right leaning views that I'm not for the doll for those who can work).

Free trade without restrictions(is that right or left, I'm not sure, althoguh in the last few decades it's been mostly right)

Elimination of the extremes of wealth and poverty.

Respect for international law

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Actually with the views I have, I don't think there is a party that represents them, or am I wrong. If there is one, It's certainly a fringe one! Can anyone help me out with this one?

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.

We have in place an organization that could function as a world government,if allowed to-the UN. I,too,would like universal free trade and a common currency. Also, equal rights for everyone.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

I think not said:
Start your own party?

And what would you call such a party?

Let's see, particularly internaitonalist, yet quite socially conservative (or is that regressive, whatever the latest term is). So waht if I called it the One World Nut Case Party? I think most would consider my right-leaning views as a little nutty?

poligeek

Electoral Member
Jan 6, 2006
Toronto

I think another thing to consider when trying to place labels of left and right, is that often the left and the right agree on the end goal (i.e. elimination of child poverty) but disagree on the best method to reach the end goal.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

One World Nut Case Party, WNCP, the abbreviated form has a nice ring to it.