Referendum election?

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Our illustrious PM, Paul Martin has declared that the upcoming Federal vote is in fact a referendum election on Quebec Independence.

Now why would he go and say something stupid like this? It is most evident that the Bloc will sweep Quebec taking the vast majority of seats, but does that necessarily mean they are voting for independence? The answer is simply no!

Les Quebecois are furious over the le scandale des commandites and rightfully so. Unfortunately, there are only two major parties in Quebec running in the federal election, so really I feel that a vote for the Bloc is simple a vote against the Liberals.

Quebecers are smart, they are well versed in politics and they know very well that the Bloc has no real power to move the sovereignty movement along. They know that all the Bloc can do is be a constant pain in the governing parties side.

I have no idea what Martin wants to play up the separatist thing. Separation was on the back burner for a while now, until these buggers decided to have their scandal.

As a federalist non-Quebecer, I cannot even fathom how the government with all its wisdom thought that putting up more Canadian flags and “Canada” signs would quell the sovereignty movement. It is beyond me!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I have no idea what Martin wants to play up the separatist thing. Separation was on the back burner for a while now, until these buggers decided to have their scandal.

As a federalist non-Quebecer, I cannot even fathom how the government with all its wisdom thought that putting up more Canadian flags and “Canada” signs would quell the sovereignty movement. It is beyond me!

First of all, the Sponsorship Program worked to an extent. The separatist movement was shrinking and federalism growing during the period that the program ran.

There's a reason why the advertising/public relations industry is so big...advertising works.

Martin is currently playing up the separatist thing because a lot of the BQ vote is thought to be soft...people who don't support separatism but are choosing the BQ for other reasons, including to punish the Liberals.

By making this election about separatism, Martin hopes to win back that soft vote.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Reverend Blair said:
First of all, the Sponsorship Program worked to an extent. The separatist movement was shrinking and federalism growing during the period that the program ran.

By making this election about separatism, Martin hopes to win back that soft vote.

Trust me, a few flags didn't sway the Quebec voters to embrace federalism. A strong economy, low unemployment, and making decision in line with Quebecs left leaning populace (No troops to Iraq and no to missile defense) quelled the seperatists.

I see lots of American flags and American slogans and logos everywhere in this country, that doesn't make me want take the pledge of allegiance.

Martin is a fool to stir the pot with making this a referendum election. He should take his lumps and try to build back support through good honest government instead of scaring Quebecers into believing that this election is something more than it really is.

If this election is about sovereighty, then Gilles is correct to ask that if the Bloc were to win the majority of Quebec, would it then force sovereignty negotiations to begin.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
There are Canadians who think they are Americans though DasFX. Part of that is because of the constant pro-American advertising we are exposed to. Advertising works. If it didn't nobody would pay for it.

Martin and the Liberals have a long record of being excellent election strategists and that includes in Quebec. If the election wasn't going to be close, they might not employ this strategy because it could very well do long-term harm. The election is close though and they need every Quebec seat they can get.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Reverend Blair said:

Its a little known fact, but the Sponsership Program was also effective in promoting world peace as well. Many studies have shown that the number of global conflicts actually decreased during the period that the program ran. Personally, I don't know why Martin is not trumpeting that fact to counter those small petty people who complain about kickbacks and $millions wasted. :?

Reverend Blair said:
Martin is currently playing up the separatist thing because a lot of the BQ vote is thought to be soft...people who don't support separatism but are choosing the BQ for other reasons, including to punish the Liberals.

Martin is playing up the seperatist thing because the Liberals are completely incapable of differentiating between whats good for the country and whats good for the Liberal party. :evil:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Its a little known fact, but the Sponsership Program was also effective in promoting world peace as well. Many studies have shown that the number of global conflicts actually decreased during the period that the program ran.

Actually, it was the UN that worked, with much success, to decrease conflict. Another organisation that Conservatives, the only political demographic that supports the illegal war in Iraq, hate.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
So MMMikey,

could we say that you won't be voting for the Liberals?.. :wink:

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
#juan said:
So MMMikey,

could we say that you won't be voting for the Liberals?.. :wink:

I think that is fairly safe to say. :lol: I consider myself centre-right, though, so the Liberals are probably not that much of a stretch for me. But watching their mismanagement and corruption and arrogance for most of my politically aware life has soured me on them for sure. These types of programs like the state childcare program especially make me gag. It tries to buy people with their own money, and plays up the thought that the state knows better how to spend your money than you do. In reality all government is incompetant. It is enough to expect them to provide the basics, let alone a million and one government programs for everyone. :twisted:

By the way, from your post Juan, it would appear that Mulroney soured you on the Conservatives for life, too?! :p

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: Referendum election?

Reverend Blair said:
If he votes on issues he would. ;-)

If I voted on issues, I'd probably be with the Green Party. As long as this incarnation of the Liberal Party is vying for office, I'll be voting strategically against them.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario

Reverend Blair said:
If he votes on issues he would. ;-)

What is the issue of this election? It has to be government mismanagement and corruption. It was the sponsorship scandal that precipitated the house to bring about a vote of non-confidence. If you vote according to the issues, then you must vote against the Liberals.

I like the liberal policy, the economy is good, I have a job, I have access to health care, I am able to receive government services when needed, I am free and live well. I mean I have no burning desire to switch governments in that sense.

However I cannot ignore what the Liberal party did with the sponsorship scandal. After 12 years of rule, I think they have started to take the Canadian public for granted. The only way they could have saved face is if they had made wholesale changes, where anyone involved in the Chretien government was barred from running - a complete cleaning of house.

In Canada, we tend not to vote for someone, as much as we vote against someone.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"What is the issue of this election?"

The issue is "throw the bums out"

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
MMMike wrote:
By the way, from your post Juan, it would appear that Mulroney soured you on the Conservatives for life, too?!

Yeah, for a while anyway. Besides the Debt that really hurtsCanada, I hated the way he fawned , and groveled in front of Reagan. I watched Harper say "I love America" and almost thew up.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Whichever bums strike your fancy, DasFX... Personally, I'm leaning towards the Conservative bums. You have to check each party out and find out which one looks the best to you. But we agree that the Liberal bums are old, and have no appeal anymore. gee, this thread is starting to make me feel icky.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario

MMMike said:
Whichever bums strike your fancy, DasFX... Personally, I'm leaning towards the Conservative bums. You have to check each party out and find out which one looks the best to you. But we agree that the Liberal bums are old, and have no appeal anymore. gee, this thread is starting to make me feel icky.

I know what each of the parties say they will do. Figuring out what they actually will do is another thing. I want change but I don't like Harper and I don't want to be bankrupted.

I think I'd vote for the Bloc if I had a chance. You know, they are the ones that really brought out the scandal and put the screws to the Liberals.