Canadian Immigration

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
Ottawa to unveil plan to attract 40 per cent more immigration to Canada
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at 17:05 on September 23, 2005, EST.
By ALEXANDER PANETTA

OTTAWA (CP) - Canada's current immigration levels would rise 40 per cent within five years under a plan that will soon be presented to the federal cabinet, The Canadian Press has learned.

Prime Minister Paul Martin described immigration in a speech this week as key to Canada's economic success in an era defined by low birth rates, an aging population and an ever-deepening shortage of skilled workers. His immigration minister will address that challenge by announcing the target by Nov. 1 after consulting cabinet colleagues.

Joe Volpe will table a document in Parliament setting out the goal and will also deliver a wide-ranging plan for meeting it in a presentation to his cabinet colleagues next month.

Volpe declined to provide specifics but said something needs to be done to ramp up the country's immigration levels.

"We've got to have more," the minister said in an interview Friday. "There isn't a place in the country that hasn't used that four-letter word: 'More'."

Volpe said the reality of Canada's immigration needs hit home as he travelled the country over the last five months and heard the same refrain from coast to coast, in rich and poor provinces and in urban and rural areas.

Government sources say his proposed target would see immigration levels rise to one per cent of the Canadian population within five years - or about 328,000 per year and growing.

That would represent an increase of about 40 per cent from last year's level of 235,824 people who became permanent residents of Canada - which fell within the government's current target range of 220,000 to 245,000 new residents per year

(edit: thread title clarified)

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
RE: Immigration

This would might actually be a good idea, seeing as how Canada has low birth rates and an aging population. However it seems that immigrants seems to all gravitate to already overpopulated areas. I think they should have a plan to give priority to foreigners who are looking to sette in under populated areas such as Sask, Man, and the Maritimes. Some of these provinces are actually losing population, so this might help their economic outlook and give them some healthy growth. Its a much better idea then just trying to cram them into Toronto, Vancouver, and Calgary.

Vitamin C

Nominee Member
Sep 14, 2005
Ontario
Re: Immigration

Immigrants aren't "crammed" anywhere. They go to where they can get jobs, make money, go to school, etc.....

In the maritimes and praries and such places people who were born there often leave for the urban centres because they need to find jobs, etc...

We need to first develop money making industries in those areas, and then immigrants and people already in Canada will all flock to those areas....

It's cute how you try to change the slant of your views to make it seem like you're not complaining. But it sounds to me like you have something against immigrants. You don't want them "crammed" into your neck of the woods......

It's because of phrases like that that the Conservatives will never win big in Ontario......

Texas1

Electoral Member
Sep 23, 2005

"Immigrants aren't "crammed" anywhere. They go to where they can get jobs, make money, go to school, etc"

No they go where they can all be together and act(change the landscape) just like they were at home.

bramladesh ever heard of it ?
malton ever heard of it ?

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC

Ah the intelligence of this guy is amazing :roll: :roll: Where ya from Tex ?The school of religious zealots :p

JomZ

Electoral Member
Aug 18, 2005
Reentering the Fray at CC.net

Oooh Boy Texas1, your already drawing a lot of animosity in only a couple of posts. But more on your post later.

I agree with Vitamin C when he says that a stable and diverse economy is the foundation of a working nation and the most important drawing card for immigrants. This agrarian society isn't sufficient to meet the financial, skillwise, and social needs of a probable majority of immigrants coming to Canada. These issues need to be addressed.

No they go where they can all be together and act(change the landscape) just like they were at home.

So what, its natural for humans to socially seek an environment that is comforting to their social outlook. If you go far back enough you see that is what we have always done. The european colonists made european cities and communities similar to the ones in Europe (We have cities named after European ones: York, London, etc).

They being first ones here only offended the Natives, and we all know how that turned out :? . The Natives in fact are immigrants who crossed the Bering Strait, in search of hunting grounds (aka A better life), when it was frozen and made up communities here probably similar to that of their bretheren in on the other side, fortunately for them there was no one here yet.

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.

Actually if you hatefilled bigots did any research you would find that smaller centers in Canada actually need more immigration. For example in Saskatoon approx 5000 skilled and trades jobs need to be filled. In Abbotsford there was a need for 1,000 computer engineers. Fort McMurray and many towns in Alberta are experiencing severe labour shortages. Saskatoon and Regina actually have fast growing economies yet the province of Saskatchewan looses population each year.

Many towns in the maritimes and all over Canada, are losing people because higher paying jobs are to be found in the large cities( not that there is a lack of jobs in their towns). That is why we should get immigrants to fill in these jobs that are shunned by Canadians but treasured by foreigners.

If you bigots read my post you would see that I said that we should "give priority" to people who want to fill these jobs.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle

Hmmm... so they come here to be free or pursue a better life, only to be told where they can and can't work or live. Why not impose mandatory military service as well? Sheeesh.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC

Hey Chester the molester who the feck do you think you are calling me a hate filled bigot :x Watch your mouth punk or I'll have to give you a spanking .I can see you'll not last very long around here .Why don't you use your brain for more than keeping your head from caving in :p And give us your side of the story without calling everybody something there not :wink:

JomZ

Electoral Member
Aug 18, 2005
Reentering the Fray at CC.net

Ah Hank, Hank, Hank...... You raised such an interesting discussion point but the only response you are going to get from the major players is based on the:

Actually if you hatefilled bigots did any research
If you bigots read my post you

as Mr. Mom pointed out

But your point is why are these job facts not known? The probable answer is that many immigrants probably don't have that information. Most probably have information on the major cities in Canada so they go there and get jobs. Solution, Canadian officials have to work to make this information more well known.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC

Jom Your right and i should juust shut my mouth BBBBBBBBBut I can't help myself when somebody calls me out the better be prepared to feel the wrath .Hank here is just looking for it and I can tell from his posts he's been here before under another name :wink: So the gloves are off bring it on

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle

I think people tend to gravitate towards larger centres because there are more conveniences available to them. It is difficult to move from a large urban centre to a small one. Forcing someone into this situation adds to already stressful situation.

A better solution is to offer incentives to anyone( including Canadians) to settle and establish businesses in rural areas. This would help to curb the flow of rural Canadians into the cities as well.

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005

Most immigrants come from larger cities...they naturally would gravitate to cities here,particularly cities where there already is a presence of their ethnic/cultural kin.
Dropping money into the "let's create" jobs in the Maritime provinces does not work...transportation costs(for raw and finished materials) is simply too costly.

I remember,after the war,the huge influx of Italians...a large number of whom ,went north to work in the mines,then settled in larger urban areas,established businesses of all sorts,sponsored family members.

However,the Italian influx did NOT have to pass such stringent admittance laws. In my immediate family,I am the only one who would make the grade,in terms of language,professional requirements,by today's standards.

Vitamin C

Nominee Member
Sep 14, 2005
Ontario

I recently applied for a job in Fort McMurray....I'm well aware of the needs for skilled workers...

However there are a lot of drawbacks in living in a place like that. For the job I applied for you are supplied with "living arrangements" which I assume means you have to live in some sort of residence complex....etc...

For me, it wouldn't be a huge problem, because I'm white and Canadian....But I think immigrants from other countries would be realy uncomfortable living in a place like that......racism is bad enough in cities....I'm sure it's much worse in small towns like that.....Why put yourself through that.....

And if there are higher paying jobs in big cities you would have to be pretty stupid to go for the low paying job in a small town.....unless you have some other reason for wanting to live in a small town.....like you want to be close to nature, or you want peace and quiet or something.....which are certainly valid reasons for moving....money isn't everything.....

Immigrants need to be recruited, by showcasing the benefits of living in a particular place.....thats how it works....

And to be honest I don't see a lot of benefits to living on some northern alberta oil town.....no offense

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Fort McMurray and many towns in Alberta are experiencing severe labour shortages. Saskatoon and Regina actually have fast growing economies yet the province of Saskatchewan looses population each year.

The weather is more than likely the reason people do not flock to these areas. I flocked to Peace area back in 95 but returned late in 2000. The weather was the main reason I never stayed, even though I made descent money.

But goods and services cost a lot more in these smaller centres than down here at coast. I know people in Fort Mac that make big money but literally pay 1500 a month for a stinking small suite as there is nowhere to really rent. So they really are not any further ahead, as it costs so much more just to live.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

Any immigrant can drive to small towns in Saskatchewan Atlantic Canada and starve if they wish, but they don't for some reason. Small towns are dying and raising the immigration levels will do nothing to alleviate the long term problems of rural areas.

Immigrants don't have the information to go to cities with jobs that are going begging? Can't these people read the Vancouver Sun newspaper this morning? Sat Sept 24/05, page 5? What's holding them up? Have we got full employment in Canada? No.

Last week I met a man from India who is a veterinarian and is currently working as a security guard. He will be a vet he hopes in a year or two. Yes, Canada has a shortage of animal doctors.

Raising immigration levels? Sounds silly to me.

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.

lots of good points brought up. I agree with JomZ that Canadian officials have to work to get better information out on them smaller towns. Like I said we should give priority to people wanting to move here. EX) a family wanting to move to Saskatoon would get precidence over a family wanting to move to Toronto.

yea inevitably some of these people will eventually move on to the bigger cities, but many will stay where they are. I also believe that you have to live/work in Canada on a visa for a few years to become a citizen. Maybe we could include a clause that makes sure these people work in these towns until they become citizens. My only problem with foreigners all moving to the same cities is that it does put a strain on everything from social services to infustructure.

spidercide

Sep 24, 2005
Alberta

Wow, gotta ove you tolerant lefties. Someone floats an issue that you don't like and all you can do is call him intolerant and that he should 'look' at his motives. Attack what you cannot discuss and maybe it will go away.

Would you consider the Scandanavian coutries hotbeds of Conservatives. Doubt it, but in Norway for example as an immigrant you are not een allowed to join general society until such time as you can read, write, and show knowlegde of the countries laws and institutions.
They also have some of the highest rates of immigrant satisfaction(in things like finding jobs and integrating into the society). They are told where they will live for the first 5 years of their trial citizenship.(This information can be found in both UN postings and Norways own governemnt posting).

So, if it works there why can't it be done here? Or is that a racist question too?

beentheredonethat

Nominee Member
Aug 21, 2005
Originally Maxie

OUTRAGEOUS! Look at this - it pertains to immigration.

The New York Times
September 24, 2005

Excerpt:

"You must understand the environment in Pakistan," he was quoted as saying. "This has become a moneymaking concern. A lot of people say, 'If you want to go abroad and get a visa for Canada or citizenship and be a millionaire, get yourself raped.' "
President Pervez Musharraf

Complete story: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/24/international/asia/24musharraf.html

Been There

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

immigrant you are not een allowed to join general society until such time as you can read, write, and show knowlegde of the countries laws and institutions.

That actually sounds like a good model. We'd function much better as a society if we can communicate clearly with each other, and understand the land and people around us.

If I were to emigrate to China for instance you'd better believe I'd wanna learn the language and understand the society in the region where I would be living in. Rather than haning out in clusters of english only people wondering how to live in such an environment.