Don't Blame Ontario!!

venomous1

Jul 29, 2004
Kitchener
After the recent Federal Election .. the news broadcasts made out as if Ontario were to blame for Voting the Liberals back in....

Look... we want our Government to represent all of Canada as well... we are no different than our neighbours to the west or to the east... the reason so many Liberals got voted in here is because there was no viable alternative...

Ontario pays just as much (in some cases more) taxes as other provinces... and Steven Harper's extreme views did not represent Ontario... Jack Laighton was too touchy feely with Unions that cause our Industries to move to the States or Mexico.. with their ridiculous demands for Higher Wages... we felt Jack Laighton would put us into debt forever...

Ontarions... wish our Federal Parliament would move to a more Central part of Canada and Out of Ontario... because quite Frankly we are sick of footing the bill for these greedy politicians.

If canada were to separate because of opposing political views... it would be sad... but hell I would be moving my derrier out west not east...

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
I don't blame anyone. At least its a minority goverment, and the Bloq got a majority in Québec. I'm happy.

Btw, Québécois pay the most taxes in all of north America.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Oh come on. If we didn't have Ontario to blame for everything that goes wrong in Canada, who would we have? You serve a purpose, and a very important one.

:)

I AM kidding, by the way. I haven't actually heard anyone in person blame Ontario for voting in the Liberals, have only heard it in the media.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I've heard a few Albetans and one Saskatchewanian blame Ontario for the Liberal victory. I just point out that the Conservatives didn't grab so much of the vote in their alleged power-bases either.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
This is the first time I've heard it too.

We out west talk about seperating, usually when we get the short end of the stick, which is alot. Seems it's OK to take out tax money but not OK to expect anything back. All we want is our fair share, nothing more, and definitely not all the politicians from Snottawa. You can keep them. We've got enough of our own gorging at the trough.

crash

Nominee Member
Jul 27, 2004
Nova Scotia
I don't blame Ontario, it just happened to be the place where the election was decided. No matter who won, the loser was going to be bitter to Ontario voters in some parts of the country. Certainly conservatives where hoping for better, but 99 seats is definately a great accomplishment for the party that was just barely on its feet when the election was called.

In Alberta there is a lot of separatist sentiment as well as rural BC. I have heard many from these places express this sentiment.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
bevvyd said:
Yup, we are going to take all our natural resources and split. Well that's the plan anyways.

Your seperatist movement doesnt have the same level of support as Québec Seperatist though. Have you ever elected a seperatist party in Alberta?

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
No, we are in BC, but we want to bring Alberta with us.

And NO seperatist party, it'll be just like the general strikes we have.

crash

Nominee Member
Jul 27, 2004
Nova Scotia
She doesn't live in Alberta, there is a separatist party in Alberta that is apparently gaining steam though.

Lots of these people are sore loser conservatives who are whining because they viewed the rejection of Harper as the rejection of the west. Most of these people had separatist sentiment anyway they just used it as an excuse.

Anyway I would be very surprised to see this go somewhere meaningful. There are not the same level cleavages in the west as in Quebec.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Crash,

This has zero to do with the Conservatives or any other political party. This idea has been talked about for 20+ years that I know of. So no whining over here.

crash

Nominee Member
Jul 27, 2004
Nova Scotia
Perhaps you should read my post more closely.

I said a "lot of these people are conservatives" if you deny that western separatism has been spearheaded by the right then you are fooling yourself.

Fruthermore I said they are using this election as an excuse to further their cause, not that it suddenly turned them to the "dark side".

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
bevvyd said:
Crash,

This has zero to do with the Conservatives or any other political party. This idea has been talked about for 20+ years that I know of. So no whining over here.

Our seperatist movement has had 40-50% support from the population for the pass 30-40 years.

I would change my seperatist stance, if big changes we're made to Canada. I'm talking decentralisation. Give the province more power, more control. This is the only way, this country can stick together. With two different Nations, and disent between regions.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Crash,

This movement was started long before this last election, and mean a long long long time ago. And this last election did NOT bring up the separatist conversation. Not sure where you got that from.

If you were here you would know that.

crash

Nominee Member
Jul 27, 2004
Nova Scotia
bevvyd said:
Crash,

This movement was started long before this last election, and mean a long long long time ago. And this last election did NOT bring up the separatist conversation. Not sure where you got that from.

If you were here you would know that.

You are doing a very poor job of doing what I suggested, that is reading my posts. For the 3rd time...

I didn't claim that the separatist movement in the west started after this election. Simply that this election gained momentum to the cause. People who were soft separatists before this election have been turned into harder line separatists. Absolutely, that is a FACT they have used the results of this election to forward their cause. I talk to westeners every day, a relative of mine (a retarded one) is in fact a member of the Alberta separatist party.

Once, again most certainly western separation is being driven by the right. It was true 20 years ago and it is now.

I find a lot of arrgogance in these forums that someone who is not from your region can't possibly understand what is going on there. So much so that my posts are being rejected before people even read them.