Liberal Minority

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Results are in... Not completly. But a liberal Minority is confirmed. The Conservatives, won't be in power!!!! :D

On another note, most of the religious right wingers on this forum have been seen jumping off a bridge ;)

Also, The Bloc has sweeped Québec :)

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Best news I've had all day. If only BC would smarten up and realize what it is voting for, the Libs would have a majority. I will sleep tonight, knowing that the Conservative Party sank, if not like a rock at least like a deflated air mattress.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Diamond Sun said:
Maybe that will write the smug smile off his face.

I sincerely hope it does. It is gratifying to know that Canadians, at the last minute, realized they don't want what Harper had in mind. Well, except for BC, of course, and this still confuses the hell out of me. BC rants and raves against Gordon Campbell yet is ardently trying to federally elect a man who is the twin brother of Campbell. Very odd thinking, no sense in it at all.

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
Good old BC. We can never do anything easy out here. And the Okanagan is prime bible belt stockwell day praising, harper voting country, and until all those old fuddy duddy's pass away, and until we get some young blood voting, the right wing will continue to dominate. <sigh>

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
It can be surprisingly stressful to live in a community with a totally opposite ideology than your own, or at least that has been my experience over the years. It doesn't exactly prey on your mind, but it is annoying, especially at election time.

revelator

Jun 28, 2004
Mississauga
I am so pleased with the outcome of this election. Hopefully this teaches Harper a little something about Canadians.

Now lets just hope Martin has the balls to keep us out of missile defence, and other US fiascos.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Guess I am going to get myself in trouble here, but I to am very glad that Steven Harper is not our prime minister. But what if everyone else in Canada voted for him, does that mean I have to vote for him to? I understand what you are saying, but it does not change the way I vote.

Maybe people are ticked off at us because our vote actually would effect something this time. I am shocked myself that most of british columbia voted for the conservatives. Its got to be all that BC pot that waifs around, after all the green party visited my doorstep before the election wearing bergdorfs and I swear I could smell patchouli oil. Only in british columbia my friends. Still though I would never consider living anywhere else.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I think a lot of it, ironically, has to do with anti-Harper vote. A lot of people who ready to vote NDP a week ago were scared into voting for the Liberals. That didn't always get the Liberals enough votes to win seats, but it took enough away from the NDP to keep them from winning.

I don't just mean in BC. Lorne Nystrom lost his seat in Saskatchewan, for instance. The share of NDP seats is once again far lower than the percentage of their popular vote. The Cons and the Liberals, meantime, have more seats than their vote percentage would indicate.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
You know rev, you raise an interesting point.

I wonder if Canada will ever see district redistribution-- gerrymandering.

As for Harper, well, he proved to be less than credible. Even if your politics were more conservative, he was a square peg trying to fit into a round hole.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
I read it in the morning paper. The Liberals have come up short, but the Conservatives even shorter. Congratulations, you can all stop holding your breath.

What are the prospects now for a Liberal/Bloc Quebecois coalition government?

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Impossible. The Liberals would never cooperate with the Bloc... They will try something with the NDP, but that could be so unstable. With the NDP, they have 1 vote more then needed for a majority vote. The NDP will most likely cooperate with them on issues they wish to see threw. And the Liberals, are much happier cooperating with the NDP, then the seperatist Bloc.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
I agree with you numure-- seems to me a lib/bq alliance is unlikely, though I suppose poltical expediency will make itself known at some point.

What is more interesting to me is that it seems the libs will be able to find their alliances on a as needed basis. The NDP, Cons, and even the BQ will, if grudgingly support the Libs on issues of self interest. I can't say I see any one or two parties risking bringing the govt down at this point. The parties are too regional.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Haggis McBagpipe said:
The Liberals and NDP together makes, in my mind, almost the perfect party. I really like the sound of it. Anybody think it'll actually happen?

I think it will-- but as a matter of political expediency, not philosophy.

Lots of bad blood stil there.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
Who are the NDP, where are they strong, what are their issues, and how many seats have they won? My newspaper article doesn't even register their existence.

Side note: can we get an option for a larger font size here?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
It's sad voters were forced to decide between two almost equally dangerous evils! On one side we have the Liberals who are so corrupt there's nothing to laugh about, and on the other, we have right wing extremists like Harper and his MPs who would destroy much of what is left of Canada.

Truly a shame Canada won't see the right kind of change.