Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
"All provinces should become bilingual"

Dion says all should be bilingual

Canadian Press

Monday, August 05, 2002

FREDERICTON -- The federal minister of intergovernmental affairs says all provinces should become officially bilingual, like New Brunswick.

Stephane Dion has challenged the Ontario government to take the first step by making Ottawa bilingual. He said Monday if the capital of Canada was officially bilingual it would be good for everyone in the country. Dion said Quebec would become more open to English if the rest of the country embraced French.

The minister was in Fredericton on Monday for a ceremony as New Brunswick's new Official Languages Act became law. The 33-year-old act has been revamped to bring it in line with the Charter of Rights.

The federal government has contributed $1 million to help translate municipal bylaws in the province into both English and French.

© Copyright 2002 The Canadian Press

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Stephane Dion has challenged the Ontario government to take the first step by making Ottawa bilingual. He said Monday if the capital of Canada was officially bilingual it would be good for everyone in the country. Dion said Quebec would become more open to English if the rest of the country embraced French.[/qoute]

Quebec has never been open to anybody, not even the real french from france. This guy is trying to say Alberta should embrace french? And as far as I know, Ottawa is bilingual! Signs are in English and French and the whole city speaks one or the other (except for the chinese). Why should Ontario become bilingual? Quebec is french only, we should be English only.

Until Quebec opens up to the rest of Canada, and allows the use of English there, they can screw off. Im not, for the life of me, embracing French. I speak it enough, and thats the end of it. Our province should NOT go bilingual. We're as bilingual as were going to get, and to pass laws is a waste of tax payers` money.

Why dont they impose this on Alberta or BC and see what they get back in their face. That's my opinion.

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
www.canadiandemocraticmovement.ca
Hey now, not everyone from BC and Alberta is a redneck! Though you are correct on the fact that this Dion nonsense will NOT fly in the West. Here in the West it is a general feeling that the whole country already revolves Quebec, Ontario and Toronto. There is much dislike towards the double standard that now exists in Quebec in regards to the language laws.

The West would be better served with Cantonese or Punjabi or Urdu as the official second language than French. By far more people speak one of the above than speak french as their first language. With all that said, English outside of Quebec is and should remain the official language.

Quebec and its Liberal policy makers should understand that many Canadians can see the need for Quebec inside of Canada, and the need for Quebec to have some avenues open to them to preserve their culture (let us not forget they too are under attack from the US and Europeans) but to force their way of life onto other Canadians without even asking us is just absurd.

This stupid move is a vote getter in the east and continued distrust and loathing from the West. Dion and cronies dont much care for us out here in the West because we see the Liberals for what they are; sellouts, crooks, thiefs, and traitors to the average Canadian.

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Lol I didnt mean to imply EVERYONE in BC and Alberta is a Redneck, Im quite the opposite of that.

Although there are a vast number of rednecks around this province & especially Alberta :p

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
being a bilingual all across the country is not a bad plan, i mean our whole country is already bilingual so what makes it so different to make provinces bilingual with french! maybe more of our country will learn more french theres nothing wrong with that!

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
I dont agree with your Post Mr. Anonymous. Go to Quebec, everything is French, in most cases you are hard pressed to find someone who will speak to you in English, let alone the signage situation which I wont even get into right now.

If everyone else must be forced to read/speak french while in Quebec, the Quebecers should be forced to read english and speak english while in any other province. Its only fair.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I 100% agree with Shmad... Thats exactly how it is. I've travelled in Quebec before and they just hate people who speak english with a passion. They dont even like serving you if you dont speak french... So to hell with them, they can keep their french and keep it in their own province. However, I do agree with them retaining their culture through whatever methods they like. The signage issue makes sense to me, and i have no problem with it in Quebec. And only in Quebec.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
I realy disagree with you, Andem.
I'm from Québec. I speak English (at lease I try) and I have worked in restaurant for years. The only way people serve you badly is when your arrogant.
Exemple: you know your are in a French place and you don't event salute in French. Even the American know some words in French. But Canadians are arrogant with French and think they don't need to speak to us in our langage. It's disgusting.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
That's because we kicked your ancestors ass and let them live in this country, get used to it

Aug 18, 2002
In an Icy Igloo
Shmad said:
Canada has two official languages, that doesnt mean the entire country is bilingual.

Thats right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And we dont really want the entire country to be bi-lingual thas what makes us unique. Each province has a major difference from the one next to it, let it be language or something else, it makes us unique. I see no need for me to be doing training excersizes and yelling out the commands in french and english since our base is in Alberta.

Its a nice language to learn though, if you can find someone tolerant enough to teach you

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I agree 100% with military intelligence. Every province has the choice and it should not be imposed on by the government of Canada, which is pretty much french!

de-Gaules

Aug 13, 2002
Montréal
"Every province has the choice and it should not be imposed on by the government of Canada, which is pretty much french!"

Sorry Andem, it's not true. I work for the federal governemnt for years and I have to call everywhere in each province of Canada and it's very unusual when someone is able to speak to me in french. Only New-Brunswick and Saskatchewan do it sometimes... which is very surprising.

I have conclude that Canada has one official langage (English). Québec have it's own (French).

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
de-Gaules said:
"Every province has the choice and it should not be imposed on by the government of Canada, which is pretty much french!"

Sorry Andem, it's not true. I work for the federal governemnt for years and I have to call everywhere in each province of Canada and it's very unusual when someone is able to speak to me in french. Only New-Brunswick and Saskatchewan do it sometimes... which is very surprising.

I have conclude that Canada has one official langage (English). Québec have it's own (French).

Just because not EVERYONE knows or wants to learn french does not mean it is not an official language. Theres a lot of people outside of Quebec who speak it, although english is easier for most of them.