Trudeau Town Halls Showing It's The People Not the Politicians that are the Problem

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Indigenous elder steps in to end tense moment between Trudeau and pipeline protester

Protesters gave Prime Minister Justin Trudeau pause during his town hall meeting in Winnipeg on Thursday, until an Indigenous elder stepped in to ask for their "respect."

The prime minister was in the city for the 10th stop on his cross-country tour. The forum got started late at around 4 p.m. in front of a packed house at the University of Winnipeg.

Trudeau was asked to justify his decision to approve the Trans Mountain and Line 3 pipelines, when a handful of chanting protesters cut him off mid-answer, shouting "Climate leaders don't build pipelines."

The prime minister attempted to continue speaking before stopping and addressing protesters directly, asking multiple times for permission to continue his answer.

"We need to be able to have responsible conversations in this country. We need to listen to each other respectfully, and we are going to disagree from time to time. That happens. That's why we have elections. That's why we have opportunities to debate. That's why I'm having town halls to make sure that I'm hearing from a broad range of voices," he said.

"I'm taking the opportunity not afforded to me in seven-minute news clips on the 11 o'clock news to actually share my thought process, my reflection on how we need to move forward responsibly as a country to do that, and I feel uncomfortable having to do that with people shouting over my voice."

After a continued back-and-forth between the prime minister and the protesters, an Indigenous elder asked Trudeau for the microphone.

Indigenous elder steps in to end tense moment between Trudeau and pipeline protester - Manitoba - CBC News

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
If Harper did the same thing, I would support it.

Trudeau is right - we need to have an ongoing, civil discourse. Large scale disputes need to have rational, utilitarian solutions.

There should be one of these every month.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
If Harper did the same thing, I would support it.

Trudeau is right - we need to have an ongoing, civil discourse. Large scale disputes need to have rational, utilitarian solutions.

There should be one of these every month.

I'm all for them if there was equal access. Since there isn't, it's just campaigning and there is no real serious discussion

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'm all for them if there was equal access. Since there isn't, it's just campaigning and there is no real serious discussion

I'm not sure what you mean by equal access but there have been a ton of different perspectives already put forward.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I'm not sure what you mean by equal access but there have been a ton of different perspectives already put forward.

Liberal party supporters are favoured. Even in Alberta the crowd was mostly supportive of Justin. That's laughable though not surprising.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
^^^

You see.

It's stuff like that which just puts us all at a disadvantage.

Now, were on a private forum and we're used to bickering and bitching anyway but you don't get sh*t from authority with that approach.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
That's the first I've heard.

Do you have a link?

There was one here on CC a month ago. You had to sign up for the town hall by giving all your information to the Liberal Party of Canada. You would think a Prime Minister on a non-partisan town hall tour that was not an election campaign would have done it through the Government of Canada website. I am sure the government is paying for the tour.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I doubt anybody believes you

Right now I'm not really believing you but if you send me a link, I just might.

There was one here on CC a month ago. You had to sign up for the town hall by giving all your information to the Liberal Party of Canada. You would think a Prime Minister on a non-partisan town hall tour that was not an election campaign would have done it through the Government of Canada website. I am sure the government is paying for the tour.

This is different from the argument Cannuck is making but I would agree with that policy for security reasons.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I'm sorry. I made it all up. Trudeau actually is as popular in Alberta as the town hall video would suggest.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Notice how this thread was hijacked and perverted into something antagonistic by Locutus.