CBC only needs $400M to go Ad Free!!!

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This is a steal for such an excellent service!!!

CBC/Radio Canada asks for $400M in increased government funding to go ad-free

CBC/Radio Canada has submitted a position paper to the federal government proposing the public broadcaster move to an ad-free model, similar to the one used to pay for the BBC in the United Kingdom, at a cost of about $400 million in additional funding.

"We are at a critical juncture in our evolution, continuing to operate under a business model and cultural policy framework that is profoundly broken," said the CBC's document, released on Monday afternoon. "At the same time, other nations are moving their cultural agendas forward successfully — and reaping the benefits of strong, stable, well-funded public broadcasters."

The additional money CBC is asking for would be "replacement funding" if the news organization eliminates advertising: $253 million to replace ad revenue, plus $105 million to "produce and procure additional Canadian content" to fill the programming gaps in the absence of ads and $40 million to reflect savings in money that would otherwise be spent on selling ads.

That would equal an investment of $46 per Canadian every year — up from the current $34 per Canadian CBC currently receives.

Two-thirds of the ad revenue given up by the CBC, the proposal argues, "would migrate to other Canadian media, including private TV and digital, for a net gain to them of $158M."

In addition, it says, "the economic upside of moving to an ad-free model would be a net total GDP gain of $488M, a total labour income impact of $355M and the creation of 7,200 new jobs."

CBC/Radio Canada asks for $400M in increased government funding to go ad-free - Canada - CBC News

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I'd like to see their international shortwave radio service re-opened, but that will never happen. The CBC tore down all the transmitters

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Yeah I asked DO YOU LISTEN?

Yes, I listen to the Power and Politics podcast.

Here, go nice and slow

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It's an expression about a past event used to highlight when someone else has missed a significant development in history.

This message was brought to you by banal.

Banal - when something is so lacking in originality as to be obvious and boring.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
asking if someone slept in is an expression that can be used when someone doesn't have their facts in the correct decade.....the international shortwave service lived well past 2003, it wasn't decommissioned until 2012.
The CBC had received a 15% cut in their budget, so they grabbed the other 85% to support their empire elsewhere.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I don't watch TV and my radio is collecting dust. I read CBC or SRC articles online, but how much can it possibly cost to maintain a couple of websites?

As for films, we watch mostly Chinese programmes online. Of course it's not all about me, but how am I supposed to sympathise with the guy who wants ad-free programming when some people are sleeping on the street. But hey, at least they can listen to ad-free programming freezing in the cold. Good priority there.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
They choose to be sleeping on the streets.

Then they have mental-health problems. Put that extra 400m to paying the federal debt to bring interest rates down, then people could better afford to give to charity to help the poor. Those who want commercial-free programming can pay for it themselves.