Have you filled out your census form?

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario

I received mine last night. The long form.

Now, I suppose if one believes in conspiracy theories, or feels that there are secret, Cabinet approved government programs that spy on Canadians, filling out the census might appear silly. After all, the government would know more about you than you know about yourself. We are living in the information (computer) age.

If that was the case, then any census would be redundant in its redundancy.

But the census might be a valuable tool to conceal covert spying operations. With tin foil hat firmly in place, and spoken in my best, incredulous, but fatherly voice,

"Hey, we only know what you tell us! We aren't collecting any information about you, except what you are obligated to provide on the form or the website. If we really knew you, why would we bother with a census?"

It's a great smoke screen to keep average Canadians off the scent. It's a win-win situation for the feds. Above all, it hides the truth. Secondly, it provides some jobs, albeit temporary ones, that will placate some citizens.

When the first truly Canadian census was started in 1871, paper and pen were the only tools available to record information. These days, computers compile data, with the goal of generating all manner of unique and useful statistics. The purpose of the census is, and this is from the government census site,

"...designed to provide information about people and housing units in Canada by their demographic, social and economic characteristics."

Basically, it means they want as much information about you and your family as "demographic, social and economic characteristics" will allow them to collect. That's a lot, potentially. The description is vague, which means until challenged, they will continue to use this as a tool, and possibly to hide any "unusual" collection methods that they may be presently using.

To keep people from complaining, there is the following piece of legislation. The penalty for not filing is intimidating to the majority of Canadians. (The underlining is mine):

---
QUOTE 31

False or unlawful informationEvery person who, without lawful excuse,

• (a) refuses or neglects to answer, or wilfully answers falsely, any question requisite for obtaining any information sought in respect of the objects of this Act or pertinent thereto that has been asked of him by any person employed or deemed to be employed under this Act, or
  • (b) refuses or neglects to furnish any information or to fill in to the best of his knowledge and belief any schedule or form that the person has been required to fill in, and to return the same when and as required of him pursuant to this Act, or knowingly gives false or misleading information or practises any other deception thereunder
is, for every refusal or neglect, or false answer or deception, guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding five hundred dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months or to both.

• 1970-71-72, c. 15, s. 29.UNQUOTE

---

It might be said that using an archaic collection method, originally intended to collect population and farming information, the government can obtain whatever data it wants with impunity. The information may come from Google, other government computers and spyware (because, when the government is using it, it's not really spyware).

Other sources include, but are not limited to, banking, health and tax data released to other organizations for the purpose of filing taxes, collecting health benefits, etc. Certainly, there are many other places where you voluntarily reveal confidential information in your daily life.

Mazel Tov!

The Statistics Act - Statistics Act

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Not yet.... Haven't got it. If it's anything like all three elections things, they'll be "lost" until our Hitlerette mail person pulls her thumb out of her azz. Complaints do nothing when you're a bulletproof bureaucrat

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Yes.

I'm assuming this was the short form version because it was quick and easy.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
My wife foolishly filled ours out before I got home from work. She probably was honest in the responses.For some unfathomable reason she trusts the government.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
My wife foolishly filled ours out before I got home from work. She probably was honest in the responses.For some unfathomable reason she trusts the government.

If you got the short form taxslave I don't think you have much to worry about. The basic questions were the names, ages and relationship of the house hold occupants, along with the language spoken by each. It's good to answer truthfully as it directly affects the money transfers for education, healthcare etc.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
1 in 4 Canadians get the long form.

I would accept the statement that it positively influences money transfers for education, healthcare etc., but there are a number of bona fide sources for this information other than the census. Provincial school records, health records, municipal tax records, the post office, local/provincial/federal police, provincial hydro, water/cable/satellite companies, CPIC, etc.

I am not suggesting that any of these places are acting illegally. Information sharing is common. The statement, "We do not share your personal information with anyone else." seems wonderful, but legally speaking, it holds no water. It may be shared with other agencies or companies at the contract issuer's discretion. It's just one sentence in std agreements that few people ever read, or truly understand.

By any standard, ye olde fashioned census is outmoded. Information collection is easier electronically.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
If you don't fill it out they are threatening to send you to prison..

I tore mine up. ;)

They did that about twenty years ago.I didn't play. I'm still waiting to get arrested.

They did that about twenty years ago.I didn't play. I'm still waiting to get arrested.

That being said, the Census is a good thing. What are you worried about? Google and Facebook own your info. You are sadly mistaken if you think filling out the Census is compromising your personal info. LOL

"Holy crap, it quoted me in my own post on an edit. Learn something new everyday.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
That being said, the Census is a good thing. What are you worried about? Google and Facebook own your info. You are sadly mistaken if you think filling out the Census is compromising your personal info. LOL

"Holy crap, it quoted me in my own post on an edit. Learn something new everyday.

Not worried about it... Trudeau made it law.. fukk Trudeau and anything he tries to impose.

Trudeau still hasn't created one bloody job in Canada. Big talker, no results.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
1 in 4 Canadians get the long form.

I would accept the statement that it positively influences money transfers for education, healthcare etc., but there are a number of bona fide sources for this information other than the census. Provincial school records, health records, municipal tax records, the post office, local/provincial/federal police, provincial hydro, water/cable/satellite companies, CPIC, etc.

I am not suggesting that any of these places are acting illegally. Information sharing is common. The statement, "We do not share your personal information with anyone else." seems wonderful, but legally speaking, it holds no water. It may be shared with other agencies or companies at the contract issuer's discretion. It's just one sentence in std agreements that few people ever read, or truly understand.

By any standard, ye olde fashioned census is outmoded. Information collection is easier electronically.

But that's a whole lot of paperwork to pore through to get the brief answers obtained on one form. :)

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Just got mine delivered and was filling it out when I came across this question and was left somewhat bemused.

"Does this person agree to make his or her 2016 Census Information available in 2108 (92 years after the census)?

I x'd yes because what could it possibly matter to me when I will be but dust in the wind.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I've been threatened with jail the last 3 times. Still a free man and no fines either. If I did happen to fill it out it would be the first time ever. Last time I was on a census form I was a teenager at home. Funny thing is the govt still knows where to find me when they want a payment or something.