NDP already being annoying in new Parliament

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
NDP already being annoying in new Parliament

David Christopherson MP (Hamilton Centre), the sole New Democratic member on the House of Commons Standing Committee on Procedure and House Affairs is also the committee's second vice-chair (required under the Standing Orders of the House to be a member of an opposition party other than the Official Opposition). He filibustered the work of PROC on December 10, 2015.

The New Democratic Party is already demonstrating that it intends to start off the new elected term being as irritating and annoying as possible, just days into the 42nd Parliament. At the second meeting of the House of Commons Standing Committee on Procedure & House Affairs, the committee had two hours scheduled to take care of routine business, to set the stage for committees' work for the rest of the parliamentary session.

Unfortunately, despite the non-controversial nature of the routine business that the committee needed to take care of, and despite the fact that in previous sessions these motions have been voted upon in mere minutes, the New Democratic Party filibustered the meeting.

The committee got hung up on the appointment of the agenda and procedure sub-committee (the sub-committee responsible for setting the meeting agenda and schedule for the full committee). The argument, with which the NDP filibustered the proceedings, centred around the Liberals' proposal to remove their own parliamentary secretary from the sub-committee.

The Liberals have proposed that their parliamentary secretaries be removed from all House committees, in order to ensure that the parliamentary secretaries — who essentially represent their corresponding Ministers — are unable to use their vote and influence to sway the work of House committees in their oversight of the Government.

David Christopherson MP (Hamilton Centre), of the NDP, refused to let the motion go to a vote, feeling that the only way for the sub-committee to be truly independent of the Government is for each of the opposition parties should have a veto on decisions of the sub-committee. Not only did he refuse to let the matter come to a vote; he also refused to let the chair move on to any other agenda items. This means that some key parliamentary activities are going to be delayed.

None of the House's other committees can meet until the Procedure & House Affairs Committee has reported back to the House on their recommended compositions. This means that the New Democratic Party is blocking national studies, the comprehensive review of financial estimates, and the pre-budget consultation.

The Liberals attempted to strike an interim finance committee to consult Canadians on the development of the national budget; however, since the Standing Orders require committee memberships to come from the Procedure & House Affairs Committee, they required the unanimous consent of the House. The Bloc Québécois refused, as the Bloc is not a recognized party in the House, and therefore is not entitled to committee representation.

Sources:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
They are an opposition party it is their job to oppose. You have to be skilled
to filibuster something like this and succeed.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Must suck to be on the receiving end of all this BS after ten years of playing games while important legislation lies waiting.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
These bills are on the books for the benefit of the folks back home who
can say they tried and they are a good person no matter how small the
issue is

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
They are an opposition party it is their job to oppose. You have to be skilled
to filibuster something like this and succeed.

The opposition parties' roles are to provide alternatives to the governing party, not necessarily to oppose things for the sake of opposing them. I can understand the frustration of the opposition parties, though, in the face of a Government that is stepping up the game so hard in terms of accountability and transparency, and in following words with actions. If the Liberals usher in a new era of politics, it might make the poor opposition parties unelectable!

It is ironic to me that the New Democrats would be filibustering the Liberals' attempt to loosen the control of the Government over the work of House committees; you would think that the opposition parties would be all over that, for more independent oversight of the executive branch.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Opposition for the sake of opposition has become a hallmark of Canadian governments. Dysfunction gets us nowhere ... and majorities get us dictatorships. Isn't it time to learn co-operation and playing well in the sandbox again?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The opposition parties' roles are to provide alternatives to the governing party, not necessarily to oppose things for the sake of opposing them. I can understand the frustration of the opposition parties, though, in the face of a Government that is stepping up the game so hard in terms of accountability and transparency, and in following words with actions. If the Liberals usher in a new era of politics, it might make the poor opposition parties unelectable!

It is ironic to me that the New Democrats would be filibustering the Liberals' attempt to loosen the control of the Government over the work of House committees; you would think that the opposition parties would be all over that, for more independent oversight of the executive branch.

The Dippers are doing what they believe is in the best interests of their constituents. Certainly a stab in the heart of the true believers that feel that JT is infallible.

Mind you, I do get a kick out of the comment of Trudeau's exceptional accountability, if memory serves, didn't he state that MPs could vote their conscious on the abortion issue provided that the Lib Party would never accept a pro-life candidate?

That said, spare me the holier-than-thou nonsense

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Mind you, I do get a kick out of the comment of Trudeau's exceptional accountability, if memory serves, didn't he state that MPs could vote their conscious on the abortion issue provided that the Lib Party would never accept a pro-life candidate?

If I understand it correctly, the position of Liberal leadership is that the only whipped votes are those which implement the Liberal election campaign platform, traditional confidence motions (i.e., the address in reply to the throne speech, financial measures, and explicit questions of confidence), and questions addressing the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Given that last part of it, and given the Supreme Court decision that restrictions on abortion are an unsaveable violation of s. 7 of the Charter, I think it is reasonable for the Liberals (and for any party leader) to expect that the caucus should not freely permit its members to vote in a way that advances a piece of legislation that would violate the rights and freedoms of Canadians.

Source: Liberal Party position on free votes

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Given that last part of it, and given the Supreme Court decision that restrictions on abortion are an unsaveable violation of s. 7 of the Charter, I think it is reasonable for the Liberals (and for any party leader) to expect that the caucus should not freely permit its members to vote in a way that advances a piece of legislation that would violate the rights and freedoms of Canadians.

Right, because every woman should have the right to kill their baby.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Oh Boo Hoo. 12 years of ballyhooing of the Liberals and NDP in opposition doing exactly the same thing was perfectly OK but now that the Sunny Ways get slowed down a bit its annoying. Suck it up buttercup.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
C'mon man.... Using the Lib Party official party statement does not change JT's actual statements.

Justin Trudeau's abortion stance leaves Liberal ranks in confusion - Politics - CBC News
On abortion, what's the difference between Harper and Trudeau? - Macleans.ca

From the CBC and Macleans no less

Well, according to both of the sources that you provided, the Liberals seem to have clarified their position (from these 2014 statements, which were also very much before the election campaign during which the Liberals made a promise respecting free votes in the House).

These sources appear to indicate that the Liberals welcome anti-choice party members, provided that they understand that the party is expected to vote with one voice to protect the rights of women under s. 7 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Well, according to both of the sources that you provided, the Liberals seem to have clarified their position (from these 2014 statements, which were also very much before the election campaign during which the Liberals made a promise respecting free votes in the House).

These sources appear to indicate that the Liberals welcome anti-choice party members, provided that they understand that the party is expected to vote with one voice to protect the rights of women under s. 7 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Trudeau said (exactly) what he said. No amount of clarifications and explanations will change that.

Accept these facts and move on, there is no amount of post-comment rhetoric that will change the official record

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

A new era of politics. Good grief Paradox, put away the pipe.