Macleans: The hard truths behind Ontario’s pricey electrical system

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The hard truths behind Ontario’s pricey electrical system

While the headline numbers in Bonnie Lysyk’s report are indeed shocking—between 2006 and 2014 Ontario consumers and small businesses made $37 billion in “excess payments” to electricity generators above the market price for electricity, the report said—experts say it’s misleading to imply consumers didn’t receive anything in return.

Jatin Nathwani, a professor at the University of Waterloo who has sat on several public energy boards, says the $37 billion figure reflects the cost of building new generation capacity in the province, as well as engaging in various conservation and pollution-reduction strategies—none of which is reflected in the “spot” or market price for electricity. “We all demand and want electricity services when we require it,” he says, adding that as much as $28 billion to $30 billion in extra fees charged to consumers over the past decade can probably be justified as necessary investments. “Let’s not say everything is evil and bad. We’ve spent an enormous amount of money to build up the system we have.”

It’s easy to forget, Nathwani adds, that Ontario was in crisis-mode back in the early 2000s as it grappled with aging infrastructure and a lack of sufficient generating capacity. The massive blackout that plunged the entire province into the dark, along with parts of the Northeastern U.S., on Aug. 14, 2003 only served to underline the precarious state of Ontario’s power supply in many people’s minds. At the same time, Ontario had made a commitment to phase-out its coal-fired generating plants, which in 2003 accounted for a quarter of generating capacity, because of pollution concerns. “You don’t shut down 800 or 900 megawatts of base-load capacity and not pay a price for it,” says Nathwani. “We were in a very tight situation.”

Of course, just because Ontario needed to build new generating capacity doesn’t mean it opted for the most reliable and cost-effective solutions. An oft-cited factor behind the rising costs is Ontario’s decision to make the province a renewable energy leader through the 2009 Green Energy Act. The auditor general estimates Ontario consumers paid an estimated $9.2 billion more than necessary because of 20-year contracts offered to producers of wind and solar power at prices as much as triple the market rate—despite the fact that these sources of power of not nearly as dependable as, say, gas-fired power plants. Energy Minister Bob Chiarelli, has responded by indicating the province will announce a new, more competitive process for renewable energy projects next year that will bring costs down.

Nathwani is particularly critical of the government’s handling of renewable energy contracts, which he dubs among “the richest deals you can find.”

Nevertheless, he says critics shouldn’t completely overlook what’s been accomplished over the past decade-and-a-half. The system is greener, more modern and has more capacity to accommodate future growth. And because Ontario closed its last coal-fired power plant last year, he argues it will be that much easier for the province to adapt to any new climate change regime that might come down the pipe. “We have already swallowed all of that,” he says.

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/the-hard-truths-behind-ontarios-pricey-electrical-system/

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You also love insignificantly selective quoting.

But this thread isn't about you.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Ontario's electricity generation is corrupt on Quebec-like scales. Where else can billions of dollars of largesse be had and hidden so easily?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You also love insignificantly selective quoting.
I'm sure you think it's insignificance, as you attempt to mitigate the sheer corruption, waste, theft and contempt for the electorate by your beloved provincial liberals.

But, it's not. It goes to the very essence of the Op/Ed. It's a great big maybe.

I know I know, cuz faith.

But this thread isn't about you.
No it isn't, which is why I find it incredibly funny when you cry like a bitch and accuse me of making threads about you. Your hypocrisy is hilarious.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Look at everyone ignoring the elephant in the room.

It's moments like these that make one sit back and laugh at the circus that gets the Liberals continuously elected while conbots continue to get the shaft.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Really.

Does the fact that we are better prepared for the future bother you that much?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes really.

Does the fact that we are better prepared for the future bother you that much?
The implication of your Op/Ed piece is that we got value for our money. We didn't.

I'm not disputing that some areas were strengthened. Mind you that's kind of moot, since many were left to age on unabated.

But probably, so you can ignore the great big "corruption, waste, theft and contempt for the electorate" elephant in the room, and keep loving Wynne.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I didn't ignore it at all.

I always laugh at conbots who get these guys hired then blame everyone else when they are responsible.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Well now that your fluff is finished what do you think about the real elephant in the room?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well now that your fluff is finished what do you think about the real elephant in the room?
I think your beloved Wynne is the leader of those most inept, corrupt, wasteful, and contemptible govt Ontario has ever seen.

I can see why you'd do back flips and twist like hell to avoid acknowledging that elephant. You'd rather eat glass than admit your error.

I remember your smug victorious nonsense after she won.

Congratulations, lol.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Funny how Mr. Wynne's name has suspiciously been left out of the elephant-in-the-room discussion
Fluffer doesn't like the "inconvenient truth".

He backed a lame horse, that ended up burning down the barn.

But maybe, you know probably and all.

Good grief, no wonder no one takes him seriously except that other clown.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
No doubt.... All you can really do is just shake your head and maybe use those posts as a threat and lesson for young kids as to what happens to your brain when you don't eat your vegetables

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No doubt.... All you can really do is just shake your head and maybe use those posts as a threat and lesson for young kids as to what happens to your brain when you don't eat your vegetables
Or torque out on molly and try stopping a train with your face.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
...which brings the question: Where has the extortion been spent? Hydro doesn't need new trucks every six months. They killed the Northlander and put in that money-losing airport choo-choo. Princess Pinwheel and her band of merry yes people should, by all that is right, be spending their retirement in prison
There are a lot of hard truths buried in Katie's chuckle bin