Your Right to Vote - Is it a choice or an obligation?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
So I was just having a discussion while in line at the polls regarding this and I want your opinion. My belief is that if we have a right to do something it is a choice, it comes with the implied right to NOT do it also. Personally I would rather see an uninformed and apathetic voter stay home than have them at the polls marking some random box. I also think if someone is well informed about the candidates and the platforms but chooses not to vote because they don't want to support any of their available candidates that is just fine. Let me hear what you all think on the topic.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Obligation for lefties.

For the people that feel obligated to vote but have no clue as to what is what perhaps a spot on the ballot for none of the above.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Obligation for lefties.

For the people that feel obligated to vote but have no clue as to what is what perhaps a spot on the ballot for none of the above.
I remember getting all hyped up about Ross Perot awhile back. He took a dump on his supporters. This one in there now indicated some positive changes. Still waiting for that. I'm kinda jaded . I suppose my negative opinion disqualifies me from making an objective point about anything pertaining to politics.

Don't know anything about Canadian politics hope it's better for you folks, I do see similarities though.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It took my wife and I just over four minutes to vote. I always enjoy voting. THere are so many places in the world where people don't have that right. A lot of us don't know how lucky we are.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It took my wife and I just over four minutes to vote. I always enjoy voting. THere are so many places in the world where people don't have that right. A lot of us don't know how lucky we are.

i'll second that juan because it is exactly what I was going to say.

we are a have country, we are free, we choose our government, but so many can't be bothered, at least
do it for our brothers and sisters around the world 'who' have no choice.

we went and voted before breakfast, took us about 5 minutes, in and out and
back home in about ten minutes.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I believe it's a prerequisite if you want the right to bitch about government later

I disagree a bit with that. If you don't because of apathy or laziness then you can't really bitch. However if you have taken the time to learn about all the candidates in your riding and make an educated choice not to vote for any because none of them will represent you or your beliefs that is a different kettle of fish. I have not gone to vote on more than 1 occasion because I will not vote for the lesser of 3 evils. To me voting for someone you don't like or trust is worse than not voting at all. In fact if you do vote for someone you don't really want then you really have no reason to bitch.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I think it should still be a choice because even if you forfeit your right to vote, those who made the effort are counted and represent the direction we should go.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Voting is a right, a choice. I was going to vote Indie if possible but no Indie ran so I just left my card without a mark on it. I don't like anyone running here to be my rep.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Maybe a qualifying I.Q. test. 125 should be a pass! :) :) My sister is a reasonably intelligent and well educated woman aged 65 and she still gobbles up all the political rhetoric!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Having a high IQ is irrelevant.

Next time write "none of the above" on it
Why? The last I heard was that empty ballots are counted and if you make any marks other than a checkmark indicating a choice, it is discounted.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Voting is a right, a choice. I was going to vote Indie if possible but no Indie ran so I just left my card without a mark on it. I don't like anyone running here to be my rep.

If you had just printed your own name on it at least you would have made a statement, instead of them thinking you have Alzheimer's & forgot to mark the X. I just voted and learned that now you have a choice of marking an X or a check mark. :)

Next time write "none of the above" on it

That would mean you couldn't vote. :p

You do know 80% of the population has an IQ under 115.

Yeah and 50% is under 100. :)

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Having a high IQ is irrelevant.

Why? The last I heard was that empty ballots are counted and if you make any marks other than a checkmark indicating a choice, it is discounted.

I believe the 'none of the above' are counted as intentionally spoiled. I could be wrong.