Harper: Guns important for 'safety' in rural homes

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
far from 'immediate police assistance'

When asked about new firearms legislation at an event in Saskatoon, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said there are too many restrictions on gun ownership, which he added is important for the livelihoods of rural people, recreation and personal safety.

“My wife’s from a rural area and obviously gun ownership wasn’t just for the farm, but was for a certain level of security when you’re a ways away from immediate police assistance,” he said during a question-and-answer session with the Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities.
“(Guns are) something people use for recreation and the vast majority do so safely,” he added.

The comment was in response to a question about the government’s Bill C-42, known as the Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act. The act would curtail “the discretionary authority of chief firearms officers,” according to the Library of Parliament.

“What we are trying to do with that legislation are some things that will both increase safety around the acquisition and use of firearms but also to deal with some of the bureaucracy and excessive red tape,” he said.

“In some provinces, those firearms officers have exercised their authority in extremely arbitrary ways.”

Harper also alluded to some of the government’s crime policies.

“We’ve brought in tough penalties for the criminal misuse of firearms,” he said. “And I’m always amazed at our opponents who demand that we bring in … restrictions on law-abiding owners, but actually oppose us bringing in any penalties for people who actually commit crime using guns.”

Harper told an audience of fishers and hunters in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., last October that he was concerned his own federal bureaucracy was “effectively trying to put the long gun registry back in through the back door."

Harper: Guns important for 'safety' in rural homes far from 'immediate police assistance' | CTV News

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
What a moron! I live in a rural area and own a gun. Security isn't and was never a consideration in the decision to have a gun. Social conservatives should be embarrassed. They're afraid of everything it would seem.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
probably not going the way ctv wants but hey.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
What a moron! I live in a rural area and own a gun. Security isn't and was never a consideration in the decision to have a gun. Social conservatives should be embarrassed. They're afraid of everything it would seem.

Lying again. You live in a city by your own admission. Security isn't just about keeping crackheads out of your house it is also about protecting your livestock from predators. Now go back to sorting beer cans.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Rural Canada is known to be a priority target for ISIS/ISIL/Islamic State/DOUCHE.

Right, because everything comes down to that one talking point.

Crime is not necessarily a big-city phenomenon in Canada, according to a new study of 2005 police-reported data. The study found that small urban areas had higher overall crime rates than both large urban areas and rural areas, and that homicide rates were highest in rural areas.
The overall crime rate in small urban areas was 43% higher than in large urban areas, defined as census metropolitan areas, and 58% higher than in rural areas. Rates of total violent crime, total property crime and break-ins were also highest in small urban areas.
Of the 658 homicides in Canada in 2005 with a known location, 427 were committed in large urban areas, 95 in small urban areas and 135 in rural areas.
Taking population into account, the homicide rate of 2.5 homicides per 100,000 people in rural areas was actually higher than the rate of 2.0 in large urban areas and the rate of 1.7 in small urban areas. This pattern has held constant over the past decade.

The Daily, Thursday, June 28, 2007. Study: A comparison of urban and rural crime rates

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Right, because everything comes down to that one talking point.

Crime is not necessarily a big-city phenomenon in Canada, according to a new study of 2005 police-reported data. The study found that small urban areas had higher overall crime rates than both large urban areas and rural areas, and that homicide rates were highest in rural areas.
The overall crime rate in small urban areas was 43% higher than in large urban areas, defined as census metropolitan areas, and 58% higher than in rural areas. Rates of total violent crime, total property crime and break-ins were also highest in small urban areas.
Of the 658 homicides in Canada in 2005 with a known location, 427 were committed in large urban areas, 95 in small urban areas and 135 in rural areas.
Taking population into account, the homicide rate of 2.5 homicides per 100,000 people in rural areas was actually higher than the rate of 2.0 in large urban areas and the rate of 1.7 in small urban areas. This pattern has held constant over the past decade.

The Daily, Thursday, June 28, 2007. Study: A comparison of urban and rural crime rates
Irritable today, ain't we? Heck, I favour arming Canadians with everything from slingshots to GAU-8s. Be fun to watch.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Irritable today, ain't we? Heck, I favour arming Canadians with everything from slingshots to GAU-8s. Be fun to watch.

Not irritable at all actually.

But there is more to safety and/or security than simply "I'm afraid of ISIS" or "I belittle you for being afraid of ISIS", whichever the case may be.

I live in a city but if I lived in a more rural setting, I'd put more thought into what kind of security features I'd employ in that environment. I'm not saying I'd run out and get a gun necessarily but it would be a factor to consider.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

But there is more to safety and/or security than simply "I'm afraid of ISIS" or "I belittle you for being afraid of ISIS", whichever the case may be.

I live in a city but if I lived in a more rural setting, I'd put more thought into what kind of security features I'd employ in that environment. I'm not saying I'd run out and get a gun necessarily but it would be a factor to consider.
Go with the GAU-8. A little inconvenient to carry, but the firepower is AWESOME!

If that's too much, try a nice shotgun.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

You gotta worry about the Irish. In the city you can leave your paddy o' furniture on the patio in the country you can't do that.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Just heading home from a week in Banff. Didn't bring my gun. Slept soundly despite all the wild life. I did see a guy with a Riders jersey fall down into the fetal position when he saw a squirrel

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
"“My wife’s from a rural area and obviously gun ownership wasn’t just for the farm, but was for a certain level of security when you’re a ways away from immediate police assistance,”

Yup, Harpo, now hook yer thumbs in them thar overall straps and hock a gob inta the spitoon. What a fukking shallow maroon

You even point a gun at someone "a ways away"(beautiful ain't he), from cops - an yer goin up .
Lying fuknut idiot.