Thank you Stephen Harper

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
And Putin's response was impossible cause they're not in Ukraine. Harper should have explained Crimea.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
His supposedly blunt message to Vladimir Putin reveals how Steve Harper really knows how to work a room when there's an election in the offing.

Walking up to Putin at the G20 summit, Harper's aides claim he said this: "Well I guess I'll share your hand but I only have one thing to say to you: you need to get out of Ukraine."

Missing, naturally, was the "or else" part because for Harper which his defunded military in decline there is no "or else." Talk, however, is cheap except as it relates to vote-getting, in this case the Ukrainian-Canadian vote. Then it's priceless.

Oddly enough, all the pictures of this supposed showdown encounter reveal Harper positively beaming at the little Russkie he knows could care less about dire warnings from Canada's clown prince.

G20: Canadian prime minister shirtfronts Vladimir Putin instead | World news | The Guardian

Canada's veterans figured out long ago that the man who likes to walk around in a flight jacket talks out of both sides of his mouth. They are rising in a growing chorus to tell it straight. They know their real enemy.

From the very beginning, Stephen Harper has claimed that he stands for and with the troops. But, Michael Harris writes (link is external), the men and women who have actually been in battle have declared war on the Harperites:

In fact, the veterans are here not to praise Caesar but to bury him. That’s why veterans Ron Clarke and Mike Blais have launched an Anybody But Conservative campaign (link is external) to rally opposition against the government in time for the election.

Those who have been watching the veterans’s file closely on Harper’s watch — rather than listening to the Top Gun drivel being dished out by the PM — know that a national disgrace has been unfolding in Canada. While the Harper government has been a great little military monument-builder ($50 million added to that budget), it has abandoned the flesh-and-blood veterans who came back from war needing help.

The budget tells the story:

Since 2011, the Harper government has cut $226 million from Veterans Affairs administrative funding — a 30 per cent chop. That’s why one of Harper’s strongest supporting groups — veterans — has turned against him. Or rather, Harper abandoned them first.

And statistics tell the sad tale of what has happened to vets under Harper's watch:

Take the issue of suicide. The Canadian Forces have a suicide rate that is twice as high as the rate in the British Armed Forces, which are three times larger. What ever happened to the idea of hiring an adequate number of mental health workers to deal with the victims of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, the handmaiden of suicide in many cases? When Peter MacKay was minister of Defence, he promised to hire extra medical personnel to deal with this dire legacy of Afghanistan. I guess he couldn’t figure out how to turn it into a photo-op.

Worst of all, Harper appointed Julian Fantino to the veterans portfolio:

The Harper government saved $3.8 million by closing those nine VA centres. It proceeded to add $4.5 million to Fantino’s ad budget to assure the viewers of Hockey Night in Harperland that the government was doing a great job with vets.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
And Putin's response was impossible cause they're not in Ukraine. Harper should have explained Crimea.

just more of Harper's bully-boy routine! :mrgreen:

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Ya, you could call it that. But sometimes you just gotta say, what you just gotta say, and that takes some balls to do.

I applaud him for saying it.
sure , but it is a tiny victory with no real results. I am sure this re-enforces Putin's resolve

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Yeah this was pointless posturing. Did anybody (including Harper) expect Putin to quake in his boots and think, "Gee, I better do what he says and correct my ways." ?

It probably would have been better if he said something like "Hey baldy, the second I see one of your planes, ships or subs cross our territory, they're fu*king gone. Do you smell what the Rock is cooking?"

His actual response lead to nothing. No lead up to consequence and no specifics... And Putin quipped back in a way that cancels out Harper's quip as though he was expecting it.

Besides, it's hard to feel threatened by Harper. At least Putin remained somewhat professional over the whole thing because I'm sure he was thinking a few things about Harper hiding in closets.

Yeah go on, ned rep me, I don't give a fuc.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
But that said .... I doubt he ever thought it would be recorded ..... so ok maybe Harper gets a point here

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Yeah this was pointless posturing. Did anybody (including Harper) expect Putin to quake in his boots and think, "Gee, I better do what he says and correct my ways." ?

It probably would have been better if he said something like "Hey baldy, the second I see one of your planes, ships or subs cross our territory, they're fu*king gone. Do you smell what the Rock is cooking?"

His actual response lead to nothing. No lead up to consequence and no specifics... And Putin quipped back in a way that cancels out Harper's quip as though he was expecting it.

Besides, it's hard to feel threatened by Harper. At least Putin remained somewhat professional over the whole thing because I'm sure he was thinking a few things about Harper hiding in closets.

Yeah go on, ned rep me, I don't give a fuc.
Fnck i greened you before reading the last line :(