Paul Calandra makes tearful apology to Tom Mulcair, House for non-answers

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Another day, another stupid con that needs to apologize for his stupid comment.

Paul Calandra makes tearful apology to Tom Mulcair, House for non-answers

The prime minister's parliamentary secretary has apologized for responding to NDP Leader Tom Mulcair's questions on Canada's mission in Iraq this week with an attack on the NDP position on Israel.

A teary Paul Calandra rose after question period Friday to "unconditionally, unreservedly apologize to the House" for his glib non-answers earlier this week.

"Clearly, I allowed the passion and anger at something I read to get in the way of appropriately answering the question to Leader of the Opposition," Calandra told the mostly empty Commons chamber.

"For that, I apologize to you and to this entire House, and to my constituents," he said.

He also went out of his way to exonerate the so-called "kids in short pants" — the catch-all derogatory term opposition members use to refer to senior political staff, particularly within the Prime Minister's Office — for his actions.

"I take full responsibility, and I apologize to the leader of the opposition, and to all of my colleagues."

He did not, however, promise that it won't happen again.

"I'm fairly certain there will be other opportunities in this House where I will be answering questions that you don't appreciate," he said.

"I don't think this will be the last time that I get up and answer a question that doesn't effectively respond."

Calandra's non-sequitur reply sparked sharp criticism from across the media and political spectrum. His conduct was roundly rebuked by CBC's At Issue panel on Thursday night.

On Friday, the Globe and Mail published an editorial lamenting the lack of respect for Parliament both Calandra's comments, and the approving response from his Conservative colleagues, had revealed.

"To call Mr. Calandra a clown is to do a disservice to the ancient profession of painted-face buffoonery," the Globe editorial writer wrote.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/p...o-tom-mulcair-house-for-non-answers-1.2779046

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
What surprises me most about this story is the indifference, if not outright support, this buffoon received from some people

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Listen this is theater question period is theater, and it got a little carried away.
The real reason he likely made the I'm Sorry remarks is because the Tories
are likely to debate the issues around Iraq, the Middle East and ISIS and they
will require the opposition support in some measure to make it legitimate for
appearance sake. Can't offend the Leader of the Opposition and then ask for
support can one.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Considering the nature of the inquiry--details on putting Canadian soldiers in harm's way--it deserved a better response. Members of teh armed forces could end up being hurt or killed, so it's not an apprpriate occasion to be clowning around.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
About time; he made a real *** of himself by his actions earlier this week.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Yes he behaved badly and was an *** and yes the situation is serious
He was disrespectful and anything else you want to include but the
question period is still theater. The real fireworks is coming when we
have the debate about how involved we're really going to be in controlling
murdering radicals both in the Middle East and at home eventually.
What do we do with those who are Canadians who engage in this
activity and come home?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The real fireworks is coming when we
have the debate about how involved we're really going to be in controlling
murdering radicals both in the Middle East and at home eventually.
What do we do with those who are Canadians who engage in this
activity and come home?
Cut their richard off, stuff it down their throat and let them choke to death.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
At least give him credit for apologizing.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
That's hardly surprising.

At least give him credit for apologizing.

Why, he was doing what they all do.
Question Period is a joke.
Look to the UK Parliament and see the difference.
And in the U they have a backbenchers association, from all Parties. many a bill was sunk or significantly amended by that motley crew.

Michael Den Tandt: On Paul Calandra, his enabler and the buffoonery that’s run amok in question period | National Post

Wednesday, Scheer sought to justify these actions, citing several precedents. His authority does not extend to judging whether a question has been answered, he said. He can determine when an MP can speak, whether his or her language is parliamentary or constitutes an unacceptable personal attack, but it’s not his job to judge whether any given answer is, in fact, an answer. Semantic content is, apparently, irrelevant. “That is why it is called question period, not answer period,” Scheer said, quoting his predecessor, Peter Milliken.

Which, if you think about it, is astonishing balderdash.

First, by this logic, it now becomes acceptable for a government MP to say anything at all in Question Period. Calandra could, when confronted with an opposition question, begin chanting in ancient Greek. He could speak in Sanskrit, or in tongues; he could say “Lalalalalalalala” while plugging his ears, the way kids do. He could read his grocery list. He could recite the ageless “To be or not to be” soliloquy from Hamlet.

Second, Scheer is underplaying his own importance. In the British parliament, Speakers rear up on their hind legs, bellow and holler when they feel the need. Consider this video, which captures a particularly fine performance by Speaker John Bercow.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
What's funny is the drama fabricated and hustled by politicians, pundits and hacks alike, lol.

Another day, another stupid con that needs to apologize for his stupid comment.
That's rich coming from a guy that defends actual slander, so long as it's uttered by der party members, lolz.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I suspect Mr. Calandra read something about ISIS lopping the heads off little girls (or something else as awful) and was pissed at the lack of compassion shown by Mr. Mulcair.

Nonetheless, Mr. Calandra was wrong, and has admitted so.....and one can hardly doubt his sincerity.

Calandra replaced the other Joker who is or was on trial. Del something or another.
The bad press coast to coast- well one little call and I would have loved to hear the marching orders.
See if he is a Parl Secretary next sitting.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
But one can doubt his male fortitude.

Yeah.

Not much of a public cryer myself.......in fact, not much of a cryer ever...

Except after my quad bypass....OMG it was funny!! I would burst into tears at the slightest provocation........including over the fact I kept bursting into tears.