Prostitutes don't feel exploited.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I think there'd have to be a majority of prostitutes that have no history of sexual assault or violence BEFORE they entered into prostitution and that were not introduced into prostitution by a pimp THEN those particular women could say they are not exploited and could speak about feeling empowered by their use of sex for money. Rather then sex for survival.

Otherwise those that don't feel exploited are most likely suffering a form of stockholm syndrome.

This is my current opinion on this, but it's not written in stone. Evidence would change this.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Addiction, addiction, addiction.

It would be nice to see how many of the prostitutes AREN'T addicted to cocaine or heroine or meth (if they exist)

From the article:

Most of them don’t feel exploited, they don’t see buyers as oppressors.

They see the buyers as the target. But what about the pimps? The ones that use violence as manipulation to keep control of their (the pimps) asset. If they don't view that individual as the oppressor then that's worrisome.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It would be nice to see how many of the prostitutes AREN'T addicted to cocaine or heroine or meth (if they exist)

From the article:

Most of them don’t feel exploited, they don’t see buyers as oppressors.

They see the buyers as the target. But what about the pimps? The ones that use violence as manipulation to keep control of their (the pimps) asset. If they don't view that individual as the oppressor then that's worrisome.
In sane countries, prostitutes usually aren't addicts, and there are very few pimps.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The issues with prostitution are the prostitution laws not the act itself. Make it legal and tax and regulate it and most of the 'issues' will go away.

I agree with you on this. I think it's weird that we are ok with violence, but prudish about sex.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think there'd have to be a majority of prostitutes that have no history of sexual assault or violence BEFORE they entered into prostitution and that were not introduced into prostitution by a pimp THEN those particular women could say they are not exploited and could speak about feeling empowered by their use of sex for money. Rather then sex for survival.

Otherwise those that don't feel exploited are most likely suffering a form of stockholm syndrome.

This is my current opinion on this, but it's not written in stone. Evidence would change this.

Over fifty years ago I was in Amsterdam and at that time prostitution in that city was completely organized. Down on Canal street you could take your pick of a hundred or so attractive ladies who would do it for ten Guilders....about $2.50. Before anyone asks I didn't try them. There were too many amateurs around who didn't charge.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Over fifty years ago I was in Amsterdam and at that time prostitution in that city was completely organized. Down on Canal street you could take your pick of a hundred or so attractive ladies who would do it for ten Guilders....about $2.50. Before anyone asks I didn't try them. There were too many amateurs around who didn't charge.

We were in Amsterdam in 2005 and checked out the area. Seemed pretty organized then too. Quite the tourist attraction.

The internet.

Craigslist.

They no longer have "representation" and "muscle" now?

There's still men out there turning girls out and trading. You hear about it in the news. So they're not all "self employed"