Selective Discrimination by Quebec Soccer Federation - Hijabs ok but Turbans not

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
If someone from the Quebec Soccer Federation could explain to me why there is a safety issue with the turban which is worn by Sikh boys, but not with the hijab which is worn by Muslim girls, it would be greatly appreciated. I would think the hijab would pose a greater safety issue than the turban.

I personally believe that it all comes down to discrimination. There is no possible explanation that would justify allowing the hijab, but not the turban.

If there really was a safety issue, other Canadian provinces would similarly outlaw the turban. Nationwide, no other organization has banned the turban. The Quebec Soccer Federation needs to provide answers.

Ottawa Citizen

Quebec soccer federation to kids with turbans: Play somewhere else
By Sidhartha Banerjee, The Canadian Press June 3, 2013 6:30 PM

MONTREAL - The Quebec Soccer Federation says if Sikh kids want to play soccer while wearing a turban there's an easy solution: they can play in their own yard.

The federation held a Monday teleconference to explain its weekend decision to uphold a ban on turbans that is unique in the country.

Brigitte Frot, the director-general of the provincial association, was asked what she would tell a five-year-old boy in a turban who shows up to register to play soccer with his friends.

She replied: "They can play in their backyard. But not with official referees, not in the official rules of soccer. They have no choice."

Someone could be heard openly laughing as she delivered that response during Monday's media telephone conference call.

Canada has an office for religious freedom but it said Monday that it will not interfere in the issue. The new federal organization, created by the Harper Tories, explained that it operates under the Department of Foreign Affairs and its work is limited to the area outside Canada's borders.

The soccer federation explains the ban as an issue of player safety.

When asked, however, how many injuries have actually been linked to turbans Frot replied that the association doesn't have money to commission studies. There have been no injuries, as far as she's aware, she said.

"The point is we don't know and because we don't know we don't want to take any chances," Frot said.

"That's the main concern our board has."

Frot was asked whether the move was racist and she said she disagreed with the question. When asked whether it might at least be construed as intolerant, she offered a "no comment."

She said her group was simply taking its cues from FIFA, soccer's international governing body. FIFA rules do not explicitly state a position on such headwear — which is neither banned, nor allowed.

Frot said that if people want to change the policy they should take it up with FIFA.

"They have to knock at FIFA's door," she said.

She said the federation would lift its ban immediately if FIFA did. But, for now, Quebec referees who don't apply the rule could face penalties.

Quebec referees began cracking down in the last year on turbans, patkas and keskis — the religious headgear worn by Sikh men and boys.

The weekend decision to uphold the ban occurred despite a directive from the Canadian Soccer Association in April, calling for provincial associations to allow them by extending an existing rule that allows Islamic hijabs for girls.

Quebec is the only province that has balked at the directive.

Quebec soccer federation to kids with turbans: Play somewhere else

Timetrvlr

Electoral Member
Dec 15, 2005
BC interior
Question: Are soccer players allowed to wear protective helmets? I'm sure the kid's turban would fit nicely in a helmet, they fit under hardhats as required by industrial jobs.

I agree, it sure sounds like religious or ethnic discrimination. The kid needs a good attorney.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
If parents want their kids to bring their religion into sports, then maybe these kids should have their own teams.

Then they could have, for instance, Sikhs play against Christians, Muslims against Sikhs etc etc !!

Maybe that would be a good test to see which religion is the best sports religion!!

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
There is no justification for the Quebec Soccer ***'n turban policy. The Sikh turban is not generally seen as a symbol of repression like some items of clothing for Muslim women.

Sikhs wore turbans in two world wars while they were fighting for "king and country". We Canadians should be mindful that they earned the right to wear them whenever they want with only one exception: I personally believe that they are inappropriate in only one setting, and that is in the RCMP and other police forces.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
There is no justification for the Quebec Soccer ***'n turban policy. The Sikh turban is not generally seen as a symbol of repression like some items of clothing for Muslim women.

Sikhs wore turbans in two world wars while they were fighting for "king and country". We Canadians should be mindful that they earned the right to wear them whenever they want with only one exception: I personally believe that they are inappropriate in only one setting, and that is in the RCMP and other police forces.
And when fishing. They're completely incompatible with dopey fishing hats.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

If turbans were good enough for the military, then a militia like the RCMP have no grounds to gripe.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
We Canadians should be mindful that they earned the right to wear them whenever they want with only one exception: I personally believe that they are inappropriate in only one setting, and that is in the RCMP and other police forces.
So then you are ok with them wearing their turbans instead of law enforced bike helmets, turbans instead of helmets in our military, turbans instead of the black fury hat on Queens guard, turbans in our Navy instead of caps, turbans instead of hockey helmets,, etc etc

Where are you drawing the line??

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
So then you are ok with them wearing their turbans instead of law enforced bike helmets, turbans instead of helmets in our military, turbans instead of the black fury hat on Queens guard, turbans in our Navy instead of caps, turbans instead of hockey helmets,, etc etc

I am--but then again, not a big fan of helmet laws to start with.

As for soccer, I really don't see the issue. I can see the player putting himself at a competitive disadvantage, because I don't think you'd be much at heading the ball with a turban.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

You aren't very worldly are you? Helmets and turbans aren't an issue. Turbans are worn under helmets and hard hats all the time.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
You really have to wonder about a group of people who adhere to a religious philosophy that by removing a rag from your head for a short period of time to accommodate a particular western activity, that this will in some way compromise your religion and it's benefits.

I guess when you look at what it's accomplished, you don't see too many positive results.
For instance I don't see any Sikhs winning Olympic metals or getting any hit songs on the hit parade or any star hockey players etc etc. I guess the west just has to carry them ,,eh !!

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
If turbans were good enough for the military, then a militia like the RCMP have no grounds to gripe.

I'm thinking more of the people with whom the RCMP and police interact. Anyone who stops you should be in full regulation uniform; that's what people expect to see, and respect.

The RCMP are not a militia; they're a police force.

I think some of that stuff can be worked around, and although I have no objection to a turban in the navy, a turban in ceremonials involving black bearskin hats would be inappropriate. The whole idea in ceremonials is for every soldier to look exactly alike, except for rank markings.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
A turban ain't French that is the long and the short of it. I don't understand why they can't
wear them there is not one case of a safety issue regarding the wearing of a turban. The
people of Quebec have their own way of doing things? I don't think so a few people who
are intent on their own kind playing in the league do things differently.
The time has come for the Federal Government to make its opinion known from a position
of discrimination. Imagine a wasted talent for a year for no good reason. Everyone is against
bullying and they turn their kids over to organized bullies namely the soccer federation.
this is nothing short of disgusting

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
Seems to me the Quebec Soccer Federation had a ban on hijabs in soccer for at least 5 years. (July 10, 2012… Despite a decision by the Quebec Soccer Federation to lift its controversial hijab ban, women wearing head scarves will have to sit on the sidelines for at least one more season…soccer’s regulatory board overturned its 2007 ruling ) Quebec Soccer Federation now ‘taking a turn’ at turbans. Always looking for someone else to 'pick on'.
If there really was/is a safety issue, you’d think hijabs would be more of an issue than turbans.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The RCMP are not a militia; they're a police force.

RCMP in A-Stan

mi·li·tia (m
-l
sh
)
n.1. An army composed of ordinary citizens rather than professional soldiers.
2. A military force that is not part of a regular army and is subject to call for service in an emergency.
3. The whole body of physically fit civilians eligible by law for military service