Trudeau's Emancipation Proclamation

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Pharaoh Harper, let our MPs go.

Trudeau To Test Harper's Control By Coming To Aid Of Muzzled Tory Backbenchers

OTTAWA - Justin Trudeau is riding to the rescue of Conservative backbenchers who feel they're being muzzled by stifling party discipline imposed by Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

The newly minted Liberal leader intends to introduce a motion that would strip party whips of their power to decide which MPs are allowed to make members' statements in the House of Commons.

Trudeau's motion will put Harper's legendary iron control over his caucus to the test, providing an outlet for restless Tory backbenchers to defy their leader.

It's not that hard to change procedure in Parliament.

A majority vote of MPs is all that is required to change the rules of procedure for the Commons, so Trudeau's motion could have real effect if it is passed, pre-empting Scheer's ruling on Warawa's complaint.

So Harper has until next Wednesday to trick his backbenchers into believing he cares the slightest bit what they think or want.

"Members of Parliament from all parties should be community leaders, free to share the priorities and express the views of those they represent," Trudeau said.

"Canadians must have confidence that the candidates they elect will represent their views in Ottawa, not Ottawa’s views to them."

Justin Trudeau certainly doesn't sound like a lightweight here, weren't these some of the priorities of the Reform Party? What we have now with Harper is an even more autocratic government than under the last Liberal mandate.

Conservative whip Gordon O'Connor has likened MPs to members of a sports team and maintains only the coach should decide who gets to play.

This is an idiotic statement, MPs are elected to represent their constituents, not perform for entertainment, this could help explain why our government has become so dysfunctional under the conservatives, they don't even understand their role in Canadian society.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Im surprised he's trying to make this move as it is something he'd also have to live by with his own MPs. I'm all for less party discipline and more free votes but because of the strangle hold all the party leaders have over their MPs I doubt it'll happen anytime soon.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Im surprised he's trying to make this move as it is something he'd also have to live by with his own MPs. I'm all for less party discipline and more free votes but because of the strangle hold all the party leaders have over their MPs I doubt it'll happen anytime soon.

He would have to live with more free votes, but if he's serious about wanting to rebuild the democratic process, then this is a good place to start. MPs have become little more than placeholders, even more so under Harper.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

I prefer the Brits style- Backbencher association, members from all Parties- They also vote as a block at time or I should say a significant block and Govt bills do not pass.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
"Members of Parliament from all parties should be community leaders, free to share the priorities and express the views of those they represent," Trudeau said.

"Canadians must have confidence that the candidates they elect will represent their views in Ottawa, not Ottawa’s views to them."

Holy crap!!!

Trudeau agrees with me!!!

Another fine example of how the NDP just hates free speech, lol.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Holy crap!!!

Oh yeah, now you are waiting for that special invite eh. Gonna rub that in as well. Well are you??????

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Oh yeah, now you are waiting for that special invite eh. Gonna rub that in as well. Well are you??????
I think my hopes that he would take up skiing like Micheal or flying like JFK.Jr, pretty much ruined any chances of me getting an invite.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Holy crap!!!

Can't be, he's just an "airhead" remember.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Even a broken watch is right twice a day.....
Even if he's only right two times a day, that would still putTrudeau jr.
On track to form the best federal Canadian government of the last 30 years.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Even if he's only right two times a day, that would still putTrudeau jr.
On track to form the best federal Canadian government of the last 30 years.

Why?? Because he is right 2 more times in the day than you are.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Even a broken watch is right twice a day.....

It's kind of an important thing to be right on don't you think, what's the point in even sending MPs to Ottawa if they're just going to be used as mere votes on important legislation and motions without being able to represent their constituents?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It's kind of an important thing to be right on don't you think, what's the point in even sending MPs to Ottawa if they're just going to be used as mere votes on important legislation and motions without being able to represent their constituents?

I support it. But as you can see it can easily be changed.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Dude, I was just mocked for believing just that, lol.

By people who seem to be right in Trudeau's target demographic.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Dude, I was just mocked for believing just that, lol.

By people who seem to be right in Trudeau's target demographic.

Justin Trudeau - Justin Bieber- The fight - Live in 2015. Reserve your seats now. I have an inside track on tickets so for a price i can arrange seating. Please send in a plain brown paper bag. Bag weight you need is 20 lb.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle

Perhaps give us the lowdown on how Liberals treated their cabinet and MP's? Some MP's have important stuff to talk about ya know.......

'Cross-burning' furor hits Liberal

Daniel Leblanc And Robert Matas
With a report from Brian Laghi
The Globe and Mail
Friday, March 23, 2001 OTTAWA and VANCOUVER -- Hedy Fry, Secretary of State for Multiculturalism, refused to explain yesterday why she stated falsely that the mayor of Prince George, B.C., had complained to her about cross-burnings in the city. She offered the city's residents a brief apology for her mistake.
Prince George residents lashed out at her initial remarks on racist acts in the British Columbia Interior, calling them slanderous and ludicrous, but Prime Minister Jean Chrétien rejected opposition calls for her to be fired.
The Canadian Alliance in particular wants the head of the Vancouver minister, who is known for using strong language and for accusing the party of intolerance.
In a statement prepared to answer a prearranged question from a Liberal MP in the House of Commons on Wednesday, Ms. Fry compared the situation in Prince George -- an Alliance stronghold -- to apartheid in South Africa and religious warfare in the Balkans.
"We can just go to British Columbia in Prince George, where crosses are being burned on lawns as we speak," she said to mark International Day for the Elimination of Racism.
Later that day, Ms. Fry clarified her comments, saying that cross-burnings had occurred in the past. "I know of this because I was contacted immediately that these incidents occurred by the mayor of Prince George," she said.
Prince George Mayor Colin Kinsley says he never told Ms. Fry such a thing and that there are no confirmed reports of cross-burnings in the city.
When the Aryan Nation tried to recruit members there, municipal officials responded by creating a task force on hate activities, which won them the 2001 End Racism Award from the B.C. government.
"This reference to cross-burnings in the city of Prince George is false," Mr. Kinsley said.
Victor Bowman, president of the city's chamber of commerce, said Ms. Fry's comments are ludicrous.
"It's one thing to make a stupid comment, but when you are the Minister of Multiculturalism how can you be so ignorant?"
Ms. Fry offered a further clarification yesterday afternoon. "Yesterday, I linked the City of Prince George with a specific hate activity. I regret that, and I apologize to the people of Prince George," she said in the House.
A government source said she resisted apologizing until she was forced to by the Prime Minister.
The opposition certainly did not feel that Ms. Fry's apology went far enough, accusing her of lying about "phantom" information.
Alliance House Leader Chuck Strahl said that Ms. Fry had five "untruths" in her statements and demanded she be fired.
"She's supposed to be a champion of tolerance and acceptance and of inclusiveness," he said, "and instead she continues to drive divisiveness everywhere she goes."
Mr. Chrétien fired back that his minister had apologized and that the case was closed. "Mr. Speaker, the Secretary of State got up and offered an apology to the city of Prince George," he said. "She made a mistake; she was in error."
"There is a good tradition [in the House] that when somebody stands in his or her place and offers to apologize to the members and the Canadian public, we accept that."
Ms. Fry ducked opposition questions and refused to speak at length to reporters yesterday. A spokesman would not explain what led Ms. Fry to make the allegation, but added she was not blaming anyone but herself. "She's the one who made the mistake," Pascal Charron said.
He said Ms. Fry will not be in the House today to face the opposition, but rather at an event in Iqualuit.
There is speculation in Ottawa that she may not survive the next cabinet shuffle. Her spot in the B.C. cabinet team could be filled by rookie MP Stephen Owen, who was seen as a star Liberal candidate in the last federal election campaign.
[SIZE=-1]Copyright © 2001 Globe Interactive, a division of Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc.[/SIZE]​