Conservative Inc.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Once more the Harper conservatives use another opportunity to abuse their position of trust to advertise themselves.

Environment Canada name stripped from weather website - Politics - CBC News

Canadians checking the local weather on the federal government's website may have to squint to see the Environment Canada logo, but they'll get an eyeful of the Conservative "economic action plan."

The government says that the site — weather.gc.ca — has been given "a fresh new look."

The government did not explain why weather searchers might require links to the "economic action plan," which has been the subject of more than $100 million worth of advertising since the Conservative branding was first used for the 2009 stimulus budget.

May says Canadians who simply want to check the weather are being bombarded with taxpayer-funded Conservative propaganda.

"Is there no end to Conservative gall when it comes to promoting themselves with taxpayers' money?" May asked in a release Wednesday.

Canada is a country, not a corporation gained in a hostile takeover as the conservatives seem to think judging by their actions.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I find it difficult to believe in the maturity of a gang who claims to want to put an end to bullying out of one face then releases a new round of "same ol'" attack ads from the other

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It matters not, the Conservatives are slowly alienating themselves from the public.
The Tories are moving down the polling ladder, and that is a reflection of their
inability to understand that people are catching on. They are now down around
thirty percent.
They have a majority, they will be in power until the end of their mandate and all
the whining about what they are doing is useless. My suggestion is, take your
revenge on election day. In BC we call it throwing a government out and that will
happen May 14th we just have to wait longer for the Federal Election.
If we are going to do that, we have to start thinking about what kind of Canada we
want. That way we make an informed decision about change. Change is what
we hot for voting hybrid conservative. A mixture of the Progressive Conservatives
a fiscal conservative group and the old Reform Party. Reform was a social
conservative group. They are for the most part in charge right now trying to slip
their little plans in every back door they can. Somehow there has to be a collective
opposition to their plan.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
It matters not, the Conservatives are slowly alienating themselves from the public.
The Tories are moving down the polling ladder, and that is a reflection of their
inability to understand that people are catching on. They are now down around
thirty percent.
They have a majority, they will be in power until the end of their mandate and all
the whining about what they are doing is useless. My suggestion is, take your
revenge on election day. In BC we call it throwing a government out and that will
happen May 14th we just have to wait longer for the Federal Election.
If we are going to do that, we have to start thinking about what kind of Canada we
want. That way we make an informed decision about change. Change is what
we hot for voting hybrid conservative. A mixture of the Progressive Conservatives
a fiscal conservative group and the old Reform Party. Reform was a social
conservative group. They are for the most part in charge right now trying to slip
their little plans in every back door they can. Somehow there has to be a collective
opposition to their plan.

Two years is a long time in politics, it's important to keep reminding people just what we're losing here.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Once more the Harper conservatives use another opportunity to abuse their position of trust to advertise themselves.

Canada is a country, not a corporation gained in a hostile takeover as the conservatives seem to think judging by their actions.

I hope that you're not going to lose too much sleep over this heinous event.

Out of curiosity, did you bother to check-up on the weather in your neck of the woods or just go to the site to see the ads?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Environment Canada name stripped from weather website - Politics - CBC News

What the hell is the left gonna cry about next.....all the web pages get a facelift, some of them I don't agree with eg. the controls for the local weather radar at the bottom of the window, instead of the top.......but I don't get my panties in a twist because of it,,,,,,but the left ard CBC has to blame Harper....sheesh!!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Canadians checking the local weather on the federal government's website may
have to squint to see the Environment Canada logo, but they'll get an eyeful of
the Conservative "economic action plan."
The Action Plan the Libs started? The same one that saved Canada's a$$ during the "economic crisis" because the Cons and Libs are the same when it comes to long term projects and goals so it was carried forth?

Poor Kid doesn't understand how it works. Seems very few do.

BTW Kid, we are just assets of the corporation. Democracy is a smoke screen.
It works the same in the Corporate world. Things are voted on at stakeholder's meetings the same way they are in Govt. If you want to change the corporate world, buy shares in companies you want to change and vote.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Excuse me, but the 'Conservative Brand' is nowhere to be seen on that page. What is shown, is a full page of 'Government of Canada' links and weather information before you reach the end of the page, where links sit for the stimulus programs, etc. That 'Action Plan' in no way, contains Conservative branding, what it does contain, is links to programs established by the currently functioning, democratically elected, Government of Canada.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Excuse me, but the 'Conservative Brand' is nowhere to be seen on that page. What is shown, is a full page of 'Government of Canada' links and weather information before you reach the end of the page, where links sit for the stimulus programs, etc. That 'Action Plan' in no way, contains Conservative branding, what it does contain, is links to programs established by the currently functioning, democratically elected, Government of Canada.
Board of Directors of the Corporation of Canada.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
, what it does contain, is links to programs established by the currently functioning, democratically elected, Government of Canada.
Correction...PREVIOUS and carried forth by current functioning, democratically elected, Government of Canada

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't really like the new look, but honestly, the functionality hasn't been removed. So what if the department logo was removed? Now it requires one more mouse click because of the drop-down menus...not really a big deal. As to the advertising? I doubt the cost of placing those banners on the page is much, considering the larger cost of the re-tooling of the weather.gc.ca page.

I think the costs of the advertising are a bit of a pill, spending money to advertise spending money? I can think of better uses, but that's really a side issue to the changes on the weather service page.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Correction...PREVIOUS and carried forth by current functioning, democratically elected, Government of Canada

A valid correction but a moot one. It's a link to government programs the same as any other link to government programs contained on that page.

I don't really like the new look, but honestly, the functionality hasn't been removed. So what if the department logo was removed? Now it requires one more mouse click because of the drop-down menus...not really a big deal. As to the advertising? I doubt the cost of placing those banners on the page is much, considering the larger cost of the re-tooling of the weather.gc.ca page.

I think the costs of the advertising are a bit of a pill, spending money to advertise spending money? I can think of better uses, but that's really a side issue to the changes on the weather service page.

Is it 'advertising'? Or simply featured programs? Is it costing the 'action plan' site to be in that space?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A valid correction but a moot one. It's a link to government programs the same as any other link to government programs contained on that page.

Is it 'advertising'? Or simply featured programs? Is it costing the 'action plan' site to be in that space?
It a broad message to the Twix Spastics League that it's just an image of two "ruling entities".

I'm not a fan of commercials but that Twix one nails it when it comes to ridiculous
Left/Right B U L L S H I T.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

I'd call it advertising, sure. I think it's splitting hairs to say advertising versus featured programs. As for the cost, as I said, I don't think the cost to put those banners on that page would be very much, considering the re-vamp of the entire page. The majority of the costs of advertising those programs would be in the traditional media ads, print, TV, heck even at the movie theater.