B.C. govt. expressed regret......?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
PORT ALBERNI, B.C. - The British Columbia government has expressed regret to the family of a First Nations man who was wrongfully hanged on a Vancouver Island beach nearly 150 years ago.

TELUS, news, headlines, stories, breaking, canada, canadian, national

There are no longer any witnesses to whatever happened. That a hanging was organized suggests to me
that a crime was comitted and somebody was charged and convicted. I don't know if there is any evidence
of wrongful execution. I will try and find whatever evidence there is.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
There are no longer any witnesses to whatever happened. That a hanging was organized suggests to me
that a crime was comitted and somebody was charged and convicted. I don't know if there is any evidence

Of course, because the government has never made a mistake and there has never been anyone wrongly convicted of a crime. Besides, they were only injuns, right juan? no big deal.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
PORT ALBERNI, B.C. - The British Columbia government has expressed regret to the family of a First Nations man who was wrongfully hanged on a Vancouver Island beach nearly 150 years ago.

TELUS, news, headlines, stories, breaking, canada, canadian, national

Kind of late now. Other than to assuage the collective guilt complex of the PC crowd what does apologizing for something that happened before any of us were born accomplish?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Of course, because the government has never made a mistake and there has never been anyone wrongly convicted of a crime. Besides, they were only injuns, right juan? no big deal.

Gerry that is just ridiculous. I would have more faith in some real evidence even if it was presented by "injuns". I don't know
if there was any transcript of the trial.....there should have been some record since there was an execution but we don't know,
this was before B.C. was even a province. I'm looking for it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Gerry that is just ridiculous. I would have more faith in some real evidence even if it was presented by "injuns". I don't know
if there was any transcript of the trial.....there should have been some record since there was an execution but we don't know,
this was before B.C. was even a province. I'm looking for it.

In that case the queen should be the one apologizing.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There is a reason for no apology. The Government's expression of regret lets them express a kind of remorse
without accepting responsibility. If it helps to avoid a multi-million dollar law suit, it's worth it.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Chong said the province regrets that the Hesquiaht people were forced to watch such violence and generations since then have endured the pain of what happened to Anietsachist and his friend.

Canada had some of it's citizens brutally killed in Japanese POW camps and Canadians aren't "enduring that pain". My family came from Virginia and were screwed by the US because they were loyalists. I don't "endure their pain".

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Canada had some of it's citizens brutally killed in Japanese POW camps and Canadians aren't "enduring that pain". My family came from Virginia and were screwed by the US because they were loyalists. I don't "endure their pain".

What is pain. Can we learn from it – can it cause us to embrace or avoid pain.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
"With all our government was doing with respect to other First Nations — with reconciliation, with recognition, with respect...."

Empty words spoken without meaning. As long as this government or any government still does not acknowledge the error in the wrongful extinction of one of BC's first inhabitants (the Sinixt peoples) those words are nothing more than farting in the wind.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
"With all our government was doing with respect to other First Nations — with reconciliation, with recognition, with respect...."

Empty words spoken without meaning. As long as this government or any government still does not acknowledge the error in the wrongful extinction of one of BC's first inhabitants (the Sinixt peoples) those words are nothing more than farting in the wind.

Sinixt people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Legal extinction in CanadaPresently, few Sinixt live in their traditional territory on the `Canadian Side`of the 49th parallel, and those who do live in Vallican, BC in the Slocan Valley, or scattered throughout neighbouring lands in the area now known as British Columbia. They are not recognized by the Canadian Government, and were officially declared "extinct" by that country in 1956 by the Indian Act. When asked about this extinction in 1995, Ron Irwin, then Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development, stated that "The Arrow Lakes Band ceased to exist as a band for the purpose of the Indian Act... It does not, however, mean that the Sinixt ceased to exist as a tribal group." (August 9, 1995).[3]

There were more than 250 Sinixt in Washington State at the time the Canadian Government declared the Sinixt extinct,[40] along with other self-identifying Sinixt who had relocated with relatives to the Canadian part of the Okanagan region.[citation needed]

[edit] Land claims in CanadaMembers of Sinixt Nation have contested this extinction, and are taking steps to reclaim their land rights in British Columbia, where about 80% of their ancestral territory lies. Further complicating the question of Canadian territory claimed by the Sinixt is the overlapping claims of Ktunaxa traditional territory. The Ktunaxa Kinbasket Treaty Council is currently negotiating a Treaty with the Canadian Federal Government and the British Columbia Provincial government in the region, particularly the lower Kootenay River valley around Castlegar and Nelson and all lands within the curve of the Columbia as far north as Mica Dam and all of the Slocan Valley.[41][42] In a 1994 presentation to the United Nations, Sinixt Appointed Spokesperson Marilyn James, along with the Official Vallican Heritage Site Caretaker, Robert Watt stated that "Neither our ancestors nor the members of Sinixt Nation have ever relinquished our inherent rights to any individual, any government or any other organization, including other native tribes or native nations.[43]

Similar to the conflicting Ktunaxa land claims territorial claims shown on maps published by the Okanagan Nation Alliance, of which the Colville Tribes is the American-side member, do not show Sinixt territory and rather show the region as part of Okanagan traditional territory.[44]

On July 28, 2008, "directors of the Sinixt Nation Society have filed a lawsuit claiming aboriginal title to Crown land in the Kootenays."[45] Their lawyer David Aaron describes the intent of the action as "asserting a right (for the Sinixt) to be consulted, and to consent to all uses or dispositions of Crown land within that territory," and notes that private lands in the area will not be affected by the claim.[46]

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
At the time of the extinction there were still Sinixt people living in the Burton and Edgewood area of the Arrow Lakes near the Oatscott reserve. The extinction was for purely political reasons since the Columbia River Treaty was about to be negotiated with the US.

The Ktunaxa were displaced from their traditional territory in Alberta by the arrival of the Blackfoot nation in about 1795, who sent the Ktunaxa people packing over the Rockies to their present location in the Creston valley, formerly part of Sinixt territory. This is well documented in the Hudson Bay Company archives, Blackfoot traditions and Jesuit history of missionary work in this area.

All of this I have recorded in my book: Ghost Peoples - The Sinixt, Recovering from Extinction.

The archaeological dig at Lemon Creek in the Slocan dates the Sinixt occupation of this region as being at least 1500 years earlier than any other Interior Salish band or other Plateau culture.

I regret BC having a Govt of idiots.
The Canadian government is no better.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Cliffy I tend to agree with you on this one, the Government is not making apologies for deeds past
they are in fact trying to look like they want to be friends. This government needs friends desperately
because they don't have any. Every sector of BC has had enough of this bunch. They face election
in May and they are going to lose big time. They have alienated young people, farmers, unions, and
small business people. Environmentalists, seniors and almost everyone else.
Their counter attack is to have a jobs plan but remember they cut the training programs years ago so
they have to start from scratch.
They picked a fight with the Alberta Premier wanting some of that Provinces Royalties and BC Premier
Clarke ended up with egg on her face. I live in BC but I support Alberta on this one. If they want more
revenue raise taxes on companies doing business by transporting oil. People in BC don't want the oil
pipeline let alone raising the tax rate on these companies.
Now the apology card is being played. They hope to make friends with the natives to soften them up
to persuade them to support the pipeline and secondly to show the rest of the people they are a real
compassionate bunch. This won't fly either.
As for the case in point. I have heard their was a trial of sorts of course what we hear in folklore is not
always fact. Before we take a position either way we should see what the natives have to offer and the
records offer. Many of those trials in the nineteenth century were trials but far short of air trials.
The point is the BC Government will do anything or say anything to save themselves and that is not going
to happen, they are done like dinner and everyone knows it.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

So, as far as you're concerned. If the government doesn't recognize your claims and those of the Sinixt peoples, they shouldn't be doing anything for any other First Nations people. Is that right? If so, you really are an egotistical, self centered bastard.