Canadian linked to anti-Muslim film asks for police protection

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
At least it's not Colpy or DaS, rofl

Canadian linked to anti-Muslim film asks for police protection

A Coptic Christian living in Toronto is urging the government to provide him with protection after he was named by the Egyptian government as being involved in an anti-Muslim movie that has sparked violent protests worldwide.

Nader Fawzy is one of two Canadians linked to the film “Innocence of Muslims.” Jacques Attalla was also named in the warrant, but both men say they have nothing to do with the film.

Fawzy suspects he was singled out by the Egyptians because he is a Coptic activist who has written about the treatment of the minority Christian population in Egypt by the government.

“I think it’s the right time now to take revenge, to put my name from nowhere to this list,” Fawzy told CTV News Channel on Saturday.

He said he has lived in fear ever since he was linked to the controversial movie.

“When this fatwa is published, anyone can come to kill me or my kids or even my family in Egypt,” Fawzy told reporters earlier on Saturday, as he stood next to his MP, Liberal Jim Karygiannis. “There’s no safety at all.”

Fawzy and Karygiannis said they were disappointed in the federal government’s response to the warrants.

On Friday, the spokesperson for Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird said it does little good to discuss the issue publicly.

"We'll certainly be working on this issue privately with the Egyptians," Rick Roth told The Canadian Press.

An official later said that the government is not asking Fawzy to stop speaking out for what he believes, but simply commenting on the approach that is most likely to get results.

Karygiannis said the government’s response has offered his constituent little comfort.

“That does not assure my constituent, that does not assure me, or his (Fawzy’s) children, that the government is stepping up to the plate,” said Karygiannis. “This government is certainly not taking this in a serious tone.”

The veteran MP said he was disappointed that officials from Baird’s office didn’t contact Fawzy directly.

“These are the people we have to reach out to and say this is what we’re doing.”

Karygiannis said he met with Toronto police on Saturday to discuss Fawzy’s safety.

Fawzy, who has lived in Canada for 10 years, said he has only watched four minutes of the film.

He added that he denounced the film in a statement on behalf of the Middle East Christian Association.

“I said I refuse this movie and I apologized to the Muslims because the Muslims in Egypt they are my friends, they are my neighbours, and I have no problems with them… How come I make a statement and refuse this movie and four or five days later I find my name on this list?”

Fawzy said he hopes the Canadian government will urge the Egyptians to remove his name from the list of those associated with the film.

“If they found I have nothing to do with it, if there is no evidence, please remove my name,” he said. “That’s the only thing we can do.”

Egypt's prosecutor general has issued arrest warrants for a number of Coptic Christians, primarily living in the United States, for alleged involvement with the film.

Fawzy said he fears he is now a target for Muslim extremists, who have been encouraged by senior clerics to kill all those connected to the film.

“My kids are everything in my life,” said Fawzy. “I’m a Coptic activist, they’re not. They don’t need to get punished for something I am doing.”

Last edited:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
LOL... I'm sure he new the risks, now live with them..

As far as aid from the USA or Canada to these Islamic countries.. stop sending them money..

OH Yeah!! The Iran president will be coming to the UN here in New York.. bet you he doesn't leave the counrty alive... ;)

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

As far as aid from the USA or Canada to these Islamic countries.. stop sending them money..

OH Yeah!! The Iran president will be coming to the UN here in New York.. bet you he doesn't leave the counrty alive... ;)

Ahh...that is simply idiotic!!!

First of all, the man had NOTHING to do with the film.

Secondly, even if he did, he has a right to free speech in this country........

Thirdly, considering we are not permitted the means to defend ourselves, expecting protection from the police is not out of line.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Why wouldn't he leave the country (presumably the US) alive?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
First of all, the man had NOTHING to do with the film.

That's why he want's police protection, because he admitted to being in the movie and now feels threatened.. I don't believe the actors didn't know what they were getting involved in..

Secondly, even if he did, he has a right to free speech in this country........

No he does not have FREE SPEECH in Canada.. that's the USA. Canada is more about Responsible Speech..

Hate speech laws in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thirdly, considering we are not permitted the means to defend ourselves, expecting protection from the police is not out of line.

I have a rifle and hand gun at home.. come to my house and try and kill me or my family and see who leaves in the body bag.

If he wants protection, hire a body guard. I hear there is a good private security company based in Carmarthen, Wales I would refer him too.

Why wouldn't he leave the country (presumably the US) alive?

Hard to do with a bullet in your head, body or in several pieces .. LOL

Iran state TV denies Ahmadinejad assassination attempt | CTV News

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
What a lovely sentiment.

I would hold the same for an Anti-Jew, Anti-Christian, etc.

If you want to exercise your natural inhibitions for free speech, then you need to live with the natural consequences that follow.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

If you want to exercise your natural inhibitions for free speech, then you need to live with the natural consequences that follow.
Oh I had no doubt that murder for the mere utterance of something religiously offensive, is something you find natural. Especially given your openly expressed support for certain fascist Germanic organizations.

Besides your previous bleatings in support of muzzling the press.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
G'day MF,long time no read.What's funny is,the goomers that are against your statemant are the ones that I would have expected to make it,but they didn't,so you'er wrong.wtf?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Oh I had no doubt that murder for the mere utterance of something religiously offensive, is something you find natural. Especially given your openly expressed support for certain fascist Germanic organizations.

It's also no surprise that you lovingly support our failed Human Rights tribunal with every dime you can scrape up.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Any other parts of the Charter of Rights that you would remove- Free Speech has made your list-
Perhaps we need a State Religion- Group think- Reducation Camps- Because that is the road you are travelling.

Fahrenheit 451 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We don't have free speech. We have freedom of expression which means you can express yourself by many means but the content has it's limits.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
We don't have free speech. We have freedom of expression which means you can express yourself by many means but the content has it's limits.

I stand corrected- as it was basically a US thread I used Free Speech.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'll stand by that right and I stand by the limits. If you have the balls to spew stupid inciteful sh*t be prepared to face the consequences of the stupid sh*t said.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I'll stand by that right and I stand by the limits. If you have the balls to spew stupid inciteful sh*t be prepared to face the consequences of the stupid sh*t said.

And then where does it stop- who defines stupid – we then have more violence or fewer freedoms – In many cases it is a few on each side that create the action and resulting reactions from films, books and other acts seen by the Muslim world as an unacceptable insult.
But I do see your point- It all comes down to respect- But as we know there are many nutbars out there that make films, within the limits of the law and they can lead to violence as we have seen

Same for burning the Quran – We know what the results are – yet it will continue.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
And then where does it stop- who defines stupid – we then have more violence or fewer freedoms – In many cases it is a few on each side that create the action and resulting reactions from films, books and other acts seen by the Muslim world as an unacceptable insult.
But I do see your point- It all comes down to respect- But as we know there are many nutbars out there that make films, within the limits of the law and they can lead to violence as we have seen

Same for burning the Quran – We know what the results are – yet it will continue.

I think some are looking for just that result.