It’s time Canada considers leaving the UN, Tory MP says

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
OTTAWA — A Conservative backbencher is demanding Canada reconsider its membership in the United Nations after the world body criticized the government for its treatment of alleged war criminals and changes to the refugee system.

Ontario MP Larry Miller said he is also upset the UN deployed a special food rapporteur to Canada last month instead of to a developing country.

“The United Nations is an organization that was designed to work collectively to solve the major problems facing the world,” Mr. Miller said in a statement. “If this is the type of action that the UN will be taking then I think that it is high time that we review our participation in the United Nations.”

Mr. Miller said he wrote to Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird about the issue.

The UN Committee on Torture, which reviews the records of all countries on a rotating basis, released a report on Canada last week.
It contained concerns about the Conservative government’s policy of arresting and deporting alleged war criminals instead of seeing them brought to justice. It was also critical of the government’s refusal to assist Omar Khadr and asked it to reconsider controversial changes to the refugee system.

While the review was routine, the Conservative government argued the UN should be focused on the countless, more egregious human rights violations occurring in other parts of the globe.

UN special rapporteur on food Olivier De Schutter, meanwhile, concluded at the end of an 11-day tour of Canada last month the country was in violation of its international obligations, given how many families are unable meet their daily food needs.

He also said people shouldn’t be so self-righteous about how great Canada is considering the pervasiveness of hunger and poverty, especially among aboriginals, amid so much wealth.

Senior Cabinet ministers shot back, telling him to devote his time to famine-stricken countries.

Speaking to reporters on Parliament Hill later Wednesday, Mr. Miller also took issue with a UN tourism agency’s special recognition of Zimbabwean dictator Robert Mugabe — though he insisted he isn’t necessarily asking for Canada to leave the world body.

“The message should be that Canada should review its participation. That’s all I’ve said,” said the veteran MP, who stumbled into controversy in February after comparing the long-gun registry to Hitler and the Nazis.

Canada is a founding member of the world body and has contributed millions of dollars to supporting the organization and its work as well as thousands of military personnel to UN-mandated missions around the world.

But the Conservatives also view the organization with wariness, seeing it as giving dictators a soapbox and lending legitimacy to authoritarian regimes.

Mr. Baird voiced displeasure in recent weeks over the Security Council’s failure to condemn the violence in Syria.

In the House of Commons on Wednesday, Government House leader Peter Van Loan was more measured, saying UN-sanctioned missions in Afghanistan and Libya had allowed Canada to advance democracy, freedom and the rule of law.

Liberal foreign affairs critic Dominic LeBlanc described Mr. Miller’s comments as ignorant.

“We live in an interconnected world where we can only protect Canada’s interests by playing a positive role internationally,” Mr. LeBlanc said. “We cannot isolate ourselves as the Conservatives seem to believe. Canadians are best served by a policy of constructive engagement.”

Only two states have ever left the UN: Syria between 1958 and 1961, when it shared a seat with Egypt, and Indonesia between January 1965 and September 1966, at which point it was involved in a feud with Malaysia.

Postmedia News

It's time Canada considers leaving the UN, Tory MP Larry Miller says | News | National Post

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The discussion on Canada's participation is long over due.

The UN has morphed into a top heavy bureaucracy that now plays the role of looking to create as many problems as it can and for those legitimate feuds, acts in picking winners and losers.

Time to leave this expensive dinosaur behind us and move on

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
The UN has been like its predecessor the league of nations,which was already useless preventing the rise of Hitler,they are just a joke if they have nations that do not give a frak about human rights on its so called security council.

PS i've heard the UN was about to cease to exist when apparently Ted Turner unwiselly gave them a billion dollars (thats what i heard)

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
According to these 'Conservatives', everybody is out of step but Canada. With members in our government like Miller, no wonder that Canada is turning into an international leper in several ways.

We are immune to criticism? The Party whose leaders criticise just about every other country in the world for not being like 'their' Canada cannot conceive the possibility that they may not always be on the high moral ground - as if they ever are.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I wouldnt mind leaving. Its about as useful as the League of Nations was at this point. However, it would hurt as more than it would benefit us. Almost everyone is in the club, which is probably part of why its useless.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Wasn't Libya a successful endeavour with the U.N.?

I guess we'll see. They're failing in Syria right now. The whole point of going to Libya was to stop a massacre. Now we're just sitting back and watching the same thing happen in Syria. Then there was Rwanda. The UN likes to sit back and watch more than it likes to get involved. Thats what happens when you give countries like Russia and China veto powers.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
The United Nations serves no useful purpose at all. Every "humanitarian" thing it does could be done much more efficiently by other organizations. It is hugely expensive, it accomplishes virtually nothing and it has never lived up to its original purpose.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
One cannot definitively point to wars (minor and major) it prevented; but, its existence is insurance I would pay ten times over. Grumpy right-wing whingers be damned!

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
One cannot definitely point to wars (minor and major) it prevented; but, its existence is insurance I would pay ten times over. Grumpy right-wing wingers be damned!
Had to add this,the UN was ineffective in Rwanda,they sent soldiers there,then tell them not to do a single thing,do not intervene,let the psychos massacre thousands of unarmed people,old women children etc.