Wildrose support blooms

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Wildrose support blooms

Albertans are thirsty for change. That was the mantra spoken by Wildrose Party Danielle Smith during a rally held in Airdrie last week.

Smith made an Airdrie stop on her campaign trail Thursday afternoon. She, along with MLA Rob Anderson, greeted and spoke to a host of Wildrose supporters in the Diamond Room at the Best Western Hotel. Smith said that across the province, she is seeing dwindling support for the Progressive Conservative Party still in power.

“We think that every single day, with the policies that we release, that more and more people are beginning to see that we can do this; We can change government and we should change government,” she said. “I’ve met virtually no one who says that the PCs deserve another majority.”

However, a vote against the PC Party isn’t enough, Smith said, which is why the Wildrose Party is focused on giving Albertans something else to vote in favour of.

“People are getting pretty excited about what a Wildrose government has to offer,” she said. “It really has been a team effort and I think it’s because people are starting to see that, after 40 years, it’s time for a change.”

The Wildrose Party, along with the PC Party and the NDP, has a candidate in every one of the 87 provincial ridings. A Forum Research poll conducted on March 26 suggested that if the election would be held that day, the Wildrose Party would receive 58 seats and secure a majority government.

The same poll had the PC Party trailing the Wildrose with 22 seats.

Wildrose support blooms - Airdrie Echo - Alberta, CA

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Wildrose support blooms

Albertans are thirsty for change. That was the mantra spoken by Wildrose Party Danielle Smith during a rally held in Airdrie last week.

Smith made an Airdrie stop on her campaign trail Thursday afternoon. She, along with MLA Rob Anderson, greeted and spoke to a host of Wildrose supporters in the Diamond Room at the Best Western Hotel. Smith said that across the province, she is seeing dwindling support for the Progressive Conservative Party still in power.

“We think that every single day, with the policies that we release, that more and more people are beginning to see that we can do this; We can change government and we should change government,” she said. “I’ve met virtually no one who says that the PCs deserve another majority.”

However, a vote against the PC Party isn’t enough, Smith said, which is why the Wildrose Party is focused on giving Albertans something else to vote in favour of.

“People are getting pretty excited about what a Wildrose government has to offer,” she said. “It really has been a team effort and I think it’s because people are starting to see that, after 40 years, it’s time for a change.”

The Wildrose Party, along with the PC Party and the NDP, has a candidate in every one of the 87 provincial ridings. A Forum Research poll conducted on March 26 suggested that if the election would be held that day, the Wildrose Party would receive 58 seats and secure a majority government.

The same poll had the PC Party trailing the Wildrose with 22 seats.

Wildrose support blooms - Airdrie Echo - Alberta, CA

Hardly scientific, but the sight of Redford gives me the heebee jeebies.......I don't know why, but I viscerally dislike the woman.

That is totally unfair, and I know it.

What is even more odd is that Smith has exactly the opposite effect....I think she looks charming, and would probably like and trust her on first meeting.

That is totally stupid, and I know it.

Thankfully, the policy platform proposed by Redford confirms my instinctual dislike of the woman.

Smith gets my vote!

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Do you think the rednecks are voting for the women? Think again Alberta party or the Liberals will get it.

Allison Redford is only there because she won the leadership race with the general provincial election her chances is slim to none same with the Wildrose party Both of the women leaders have good qualities but I don't think Alberta has grown enough to vote for women leaders.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Do you think the rednecks are voting for the women? Think again Alberta party or the Liberals will get it.

Allison Redford is only there because she won the leadership race with the general provincial election her chances is slim to none same with the Wildrose party Both of the women leaders have good qualities but I don't think Alberta has grown enough to vote for women leaders.

Alberta has always scared the hell out of and frustrated liberals. Now it begins, as the influx of eastern, often mostly liberal voters see what the cons have achieved over the years. Yeah, i know i will get a rant from the left regarding not enough freebies or human rights but the fact remains that huge numbers of people have relocated to Alberta despite that many on the left claim it to be a social wasteland.

Money talks and that ain't ever going to change. Go Wild Rose!

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Alberta has always scared the hell out of and frustrated liberals. Now it begins, as the influx of eastern, often mostly liberal voters see what the cons have achieved over the years. Yeah, i know i will get a rant from the left regarding not enough freebies or human rights but the fact remains that huge numbers of people have relocated to Alberta despite that many on the left claim it to be a social wasteland.

Money talks and that ain't ever going to change. Go Wild Rose!

Lots of people coming to Alberta with eastern concepts and when you get enough of them that is when Conservative beliefs won't matter.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The change they would be voting for is not really change at all it is replacing conservatives
with ultra conservatives and the same behind the scenes power brokers will still be in power
the morning after.
What the current government needs is some real opposition that would present serious and
clear alternatives. Having Wildrose or the Conservatives filling the benches ranting at each
other is leaving a vacuum that no one really cares about until a recession comes along.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The change they would be voting for is not really change at all it is replacing conservatives
with ultra conservatives and the same behind the scenes power brokers will still be in power
the morning after.
What the current government needs is some real opposition that would present serious and
clear alternatives. Having Wildrose or the Conservatives filling the benches ranting at each
other is leaving a vacuum that no one really cares about until a recession comes along.

Well, Alberta has prospered continuously since 1947 with "right wing" Gov'ts so I would think they would want to leave well enough alone!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There is a difference between right wing and ultra right wing and if they jump
for wildrose they could well be doing just that.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
There is a difference between right wing and ultra right wing and if they jump
for wildrose they could well be doing just that.

Ultra right wing was Bible Bill Aberhart, the Wild Rose group would look like pansies next to him. Then there was Ernie Manning who was Aberhart lite.
Loughheed and company who tried to make everyone think they invented oil were MOR. Most Albertans i know consider Redford to be a closet liberal.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
The Wild Rose Party sounds libertarian, fiscally conservative.
Wildrose Party - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They also sound like the Rabid Right of the old Reformer crowd and very much like the Tea Party bunch in the US. Sarah and Danielle could be twins in another life.

Allison Redford is there because she has International reknown and is highly respeaked for her past body of work. Wildrose has only a speaker for the rabid right from the old Reformers bunch. She has been nowhere and has done nothing to make her an asset to the Province in any way.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Alberta,with it's resourses would prosper with resus monkeys running it,so that doesn't say much for the torys.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The Wildrose wants to bring in private medical clinics

http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/81590-wildrose-touts-private-clinics

Why not since Albertans have lots of money to spend they can junp the cue and pay upfront for their healthcare and then try to get the money back from AHCIP.

The big question if Wildrose party is elected what other radical ideas will they bring in and if they get a majority does that mean that they will act like our federal Conservative government where they feel the public is too stupid to understand what they want to do?

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada

The big question if Wildrose party is elected what other radical ideas will they bring in and if they get a majority does that mean that they will act like our federal Conservative government where they feel the public is too stupid to understand what they want to do?

The next radical idea they would probably bring in is to stop equalization payments to the east.
That should cause all you easterners to piss your pants!!