Tory MP breaks ethics rules

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Christian Paradis broke ethics rules in Rahim Jaffer case

Conservative cabinet minister Christian Paradis broke federal rules and gave special treatment to former Conservative MP Rahim Jaffer, the ethics watchdog said in a report Thursday.

Conflict of Interest Commissioner Mary Dawson said Christian Paradis broke the rules set out in the Conflict of Interest Act when he told officials at Public Works and Government Services, the department he headed at the time, to talk with Jaffer about his company, Green Power Generation.

"Mr. Paradis gave preferential treatment to Mr. Jaffer in that he treated him more favourably than he might have treated others in similar circumstances," Dawson wrote in her report.

But Dawson, who has been accused of being a toothless watchdog, says she understands Paradis's desire to help a former colleague.

"I believe that Mr. Paradis' inclination to help his former caucus colleague, while inappropriate, is easy to understand," Dawson said. "However, ministers are in a position of power and have a special responsibility to ensure that that power is exercised fairly and in a way that is open to all Canadians."

Dawson spokeswoman Jocelyne Brisebois said later there "are no fines or penalties for most of the substantive breaches. There are no sanctions for this situation other than making this report public."

Help for riding noted

Paradis, now industry minister, has been the subject of controversy over his support for the asbestos industry. Asbestos is mined in his riding and exported to developing countries.

While he was public works minister, one of his staffers had to resign after it was revealed the staffer had told a civil servant to "un-release" a document that was to be mailed out to a journalist under federal Access to Information laws.

Dawson also noted Paradis shouldn't be helping businesses in his riding get meetings with Public Works officials. Paradis had given her examples of other times he arranged meetings between officials and companies.

"With respect to interactions with their own departments and portfolios, ministers should treat their constituents in the same way as they would treat constituents of any other member of Parliament," she wrote.

"In my opinion, ministers representing the concerns of constituents should not use their position as minister to provide greater assistance to these constituents in relation to their own department or larger portfolio."

Paradis gave Jaffer only a procedural advantage and didn't intervene further, Dawson said, adding she suspects facilitating access to decision makers is common.

"People want to help those they know and it is often difficult not to do so when help is sought," Dawson wrote. "It is easy to understand how, finding himself in a position to help Mr. Jaffer, Mr. Paradis would be inclined to do so. Mr. Jaffer told me that many of his former colleagues took an interest in how he was doing and wanted to help if they could."

Christian Paradis broke ethics rules in Rahim Jaffer case - Politics - CBC News

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I can't imagine that anyone would be surprised; the Conservatives are the worst bunch of hypocrites for talking about law, order, and rules, meanwhile the sleazy bastards do anything and everything to screw people over.

At least the Liberals and NDP don't pretend to worship rules and laws.

Harper and his clowns really are a disgusting bunch of idiots.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I can't imagine that anyone would be surprised; the Conservatives are the worst bunch of hypocrites for talking about law, order, and rules, meanwhile the sleazy bastards do anything and everything to screw people over.

roflmfao.... there is no real difference between the libs and the cons...... and can't compare to the ndp as they have never been in power.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Thats just because you are too young to have known Trudeau and Cretin.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
What is going on here, the commissioner says the rules were broken but its understandable
that someone would try to help a friend. Either they broke a rule or they didn't the reason is
no part of the equation. And Gerry is right, the NDP has never been in power so we can't
say they broke the ethics rules at least not yet.
The problem is the Tories are slowly heading down the same road the Liberals did and over
time this will erode public confidence

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
No `substantial harm' from Paradis conflict of interest: Harper

BANGKOK, Thailand - Prime Minister Stephen Harper indicated Friday he has no intention of punishing Christian Paradis after the federal ethics commissioner found the industry minister to have been in a conflict of interest after arranging meetings for former Tory MP Rahim Jaffer.

``The appropriate thing in this case is for the minister simply to learn and to conduct himself with greater precaution in the future,'' Harper said at a press conference in Bangkok after announcing the first step towards free trade talks with Thailand.

Ethics Commissioner Mary Dawson ruled Thursday that Paradis was in a conflict of interest when he arranged for Jaffer to meet with government officials and lobby them about a green business idea.

Responding to reporters' questions, Harper said he had read Dawson's report and ``two things are clear.''

``First of all, the minister didn't act with any ill intention of any kind. Nor has any substantial harm of any kind occurred.''

No `substantial harm' from Paradis conflict of interest: Harper

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I think it may be one of those "in principal" things that tends to fall a bit short in practice.

But they don't have principles either(I know, different spelling, but you know what I mean;) )!;)