Top CEOs leave 99% in the dust


captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
#91
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

No ****! Where the hell do these Bolsheviks get such retarded ideas?


They get the notion from leftie politicians that publicize that they are 'entitled to their entitlements'
 
Tonington
+1
#92
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

But the entire structure of industry should be changed, not just concentrating on a few fat cats.

How? The growing gap is a concern, but there's no simple choice of fixes here.

Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

BTW - not every CEO makes 50x that of the average employee... This study seeks to compare the 2 biggest extremes and leave out the fact that they represent an anomaly in terms of Canadian (or American) society

It could be 50x or even more, it's hard to say from what they've published. I'd prefer to see the median of all values rather than an average of extremes. The mean can be a s hitty parameter to use for categories of salaries and wages.

Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

Many corporations do base employee raises on company profitability, I know the company I work for does.

My yearly raise is based on how our group performs against targets for the year, as well as a multiplier based on my performance appraisal. I'm skeptical of whether or not the CEO uses the same formula.
 
petros
#93
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

They get the notion from leftie politicians that publicize that they are 'entitled to their entitlements'

I want 1/2 their X-Box games and summer toques.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#94
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

How? The growing gap is a concern, but there's no simple choice of fixes here.


Guys making $millions per year shouldn't expect to have things "simple". The choices include having the balls to be leaders and having the balls to set an example and the balls to slash their personal greed!
 
Tonington
#95
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Guys making $millions per year shouldn't expect to have things "simple".

So, you want the decision to change industry to be up to folks with $million salaries? Why would they want to change it?

Quote:

The choices include having the balls to be leaders and having the balls to set an example and the balls to slash their personal greed!

Simple as that eh?
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#96
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

So, you want the decision to change industry to be up to folks with $million salaries? Why would they want to change it?



Simple as that eh?

Maybe just out of a sense of integrity and fair play. (Or does that sh*t count for anything anymore?) Who do you think should change it? The acting asst. janitor?
 
Tonington
#97
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Maybe just out of a sense of integrity and fair play.

I'm the young one of the two of us, but you're the pie in the sky idealist! lol

If everyone had a choice, I'm sure they would choose higher wages/salaries for themselves.

Quote:

Who do you think should change it?

I don't know, like I said there's no simple choice here.
 
DaSleeper
+2
#98
How about the board of directors. elected by the shareholders? just askin'
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#99
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

I'm the young one of the two of us, but you're the pie in the sky idealist! lol

If everyone had a choice, I'm sure they would choose higher wages/salaries for themselves.



I don't know, like I said there's no simple choice here.

Of course normal people want to earn a comfortable living, but I think the wise ones with integrity also like to improve things for their fellow man and leave the world a little better place than they found it. Someone somewhere has to drawn a line in the sand at the point where enough is enough. I'd set it at about $150,000 annually........that much provides for quite a lot of comfort.

Maybe this will put salaries in perspective.......................................Salaries of the President, Vice President, and Other U.S. Officials — Infoplease.com (external - login to view)

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

How about the board of directors. elected by the shareholders? just askin'

Good thought!
 
Johnnny
#100
As a lowly indentured servant iam happy to see my masters do so well... It warms my heart to see that someone is living well off of my heard work....
 
jariax
#101
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

As a lowly indentured servant iam happy to see my masters do so well... It warms my heart to see that someone is living well off of my heard work....

When looked at independently, there seems nothing wrong with successful people making a lot of money.

However, globalization and the great economic panacea of open markets is what has made this growing trend of income disparity all possible. What was touted as a way to create win-win situations for all may have increased GDP overall, but created more losers than winners, as the real wage for many people has decreased. Of course, economic metrics usually focus on GDP per capita, as opposed to the median real wage, so the losers are statisically lost thanks to $67 million CEOs skewing the results.
 
Tonington
#102
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Of course normal people want to earn a comfortable living, but I think the wise ones with integrity also like to improve things for their fellow man and leave the world a little better place than they found it.

Kumbayah. A CEO makes decisions normal people never have to make. Lay off 2000 people and hire 1000 in lower cost countries. Lay-off 5000 people and sell off entire divisions.

It's naive to think that we ought to look to a business leader who answers to shareholders to fix something that in the larger picture doesn't even effect the profitability of the company. That's why companies exist, to make money. The driver is growth.

Until a time when the driver is not growth, nothing much will change short of legislating it.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#103
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Kumbayah. A CEO makes decisions normal people never have to make. Lay off 2000 people and hire 1000 in lower cost countries. Lay-off 5000 people and sell off entire divisions.

It's naive to think that we ought to look to a business leader who answers to shareholders to fix something that in the larger picture doesn't even effect the profitability of the company. That's why companies exist, to make money. The driver is growth.

Until a time when the driver is not growth, nothing much will change short of legislating it.

What? You mean decisions to counteract his/her own bad management? A C.E.O. making $8 million a year has no bloody business laying off anyone!
 
petros
#104
Why not?
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#105
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Why not?

Because one of his first duties is to protect the company which may necessitate paring his own salary to a sane level first!
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
#106
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Even someone with a piano tied to their *** can reach for better education, experience and pay.

WHy would they bother when they can make the government take a bunch of money from someone that has earned it and "redistribute" that money to those that don't feel like doing 16 hr days?

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

True.

But also keep in mind that life satisfaction peaks at around $75,000.00 (external - login to view).

For a lazy government worker maybe. I normally make more than that but not as much as I would like to. I'm thinking more in the 1-2 mil range. That way I could live the lifestyle I should have been born to.

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

How much do the bottom 99% of CEOs make?

Much less than a government worker if you call those with a small LTD company CEO. WIth much more risk.
 
TenPenny
#107
Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68View Post

First off, if someone wants to pay a person an exorbitant salary, why should the recipient decline it?


For the most part, however, the people deciding to pay the CEOs exorbitant salaries are the CEOs and board members picked by them. It's not like it's a group of disinterested people who decide what to pay.
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
#108
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

About the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives
The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives is an independent, non-partisan research institute concerned with issues of social, economic and environmental justice. Founded in 1980, the CCPA is one of Canada’s leading progressive voices in public policy debates.
We have a National Office in Ottawa, and provincial offices in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, and Nova Scotia.
Original, hard-hitting research
We work with top-notch researchers to shed light on the key issues facing Canada. Whether it’s the push to privatize our health care system, the growing gap...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Known locally as the NDP propaganda machine.
 
petros
#109
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Because one of his first duties is to protect the company which may necessitate paring his own salary to a sane level first!

What makes a high salary insane?

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Known locally as the NDP propaganda machine.

Beyond NDP Bolsheviks. NDP doesn't come close to being this level of Bolsheviks.
 
TenPenny
#110
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

How about the board of directors. elected by the shareholders? just askin'

Who are the main shareholders of most large corporations? Mutual funds and pension plans. Do you think the 'average joe' shareholder has any actual input on who gets elected to the boards? Have you paid any attention to the boards of any companies that you own stock in? I have.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#111
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

What makes a high salary insane?

.

Perhaps "obscene" would be the better word........................sorry I misspoke!
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
#112
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

What makes a high salary insane?

Beyond NDP Bolsheviks. NDP doesn't come close to being this level of Bolsheviks.

The B.C. brand does. If fact their current leader wants to take the party even farther left.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#113
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

For the most part, however, the people deciding to pay the CEOs exorbitant salaries are the CEOs and board members picked by them. It's not like it's a group of disinterested people who decide what to pay.


The CEO does not choose the BOD. It is also the BOD that will approve the salaries of the senior exec.

Lastly, where the CEO's really make their money is on the option package that is negotiated. If the CEO doesn't achieve the benchmarks that they should, the options are worthless.

Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Who are the main shareholders of most large corporations? Mutual funds and pension plans. Do you think the 'average joe' shareholder has any actual input on who gets elected to the boards? Have you paid any attention to the boards of any companies that you own stock in? I have.

Mutual Funds and pension funds have an even greater motivation to not waste money on over paying anyone.
 
TenPenny
#114
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

The CEO does not choose the BOD. It is also the BOD that will approve the salaries of the senior exec.

Lastly, where the CEO's really make their money is on the option package that is negotiated. If the CEO doesn't achieve the benchmarks that they should, the options are worthless.



Mutual Funds and pension funds have an even greater motivation to not waste money on over paying anyone.

Ah, you're doing a great job.
 
Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation
#115
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

A good example. Lee Iacocca...went from Ford to Chrysler and pulled it from the abyss of certain failure.

Great example. But that was almost 35 years ago. Do you have another that fits the salaried elite of the 21st century and Canadian CEOs in particular? And yes - I already know about Steve Jobs and Herman Caine.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#116
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Of course normal people want to earn a comfortable living, but I think the wise ones with integrity also like to improve things for their fellow man and leave the world a little better place than they found it.

I agree. That's why I argue for balanced budgets and debt repayment. I don't want to leave my kids and grand kids with a 700 billion dollar debt.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#117
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

The B.C. brand does. If fact their current leader wants to take the party even farther left.

Which brings to mind they had quite a piece on Glen Clark on Global News tonight. Hardly recognized the guy, looking well, very up beat and seems to have lost a lot of his arrogance. He's been working for Big Jimmy, so I guess that might do it. Jimmy apparently saw something in him many of us voters didn't.

Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

I agree. That's why I argue for balanced budgets and debt repayment. I don't want to leave my kids and grand kids with a 700 billion dollar debt.

Oh, you mean the $700 billion we spent raising brats like you?
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#118
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

But also keep in mind that life satisfaction peaks at around $75,000.00 (external - login to view).


Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

For a lazy government worker maybe. I normally make more than that but not as much as I would like to. I'm thinking more in the 1-2 mil range. That way I could live the lifestyle I should have been born to.



RSA Animate - Drive The surprising truth about what motivates us - YouTube

 
Tonington
#119
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

What? You mean decisions to counteract his/her own bad management?

Well, that's certainly knee jerk.

I mean-and I think you know perfectly well what I mean- that a CEO routinely makes decisions that impact many people's lives.

Quote:

A C.E.O. making $8 million a year has no bloody business laying off anyone!

Not all CEO's make $8 million. My CEO makes $2.5 million, with a corporation that has yearly sales of close to $50 billion. That's across the entire business, in US dollars. But our company is headquartered in Switzerland. Do you want to know how that matters? We are ahead of our sales forecasts, but because of currency fluctuations in our largest markets (US and EU) we finish the year behind estimates in Swiss francs. My business unit is way ahead, but Aqua grows fast. Cutting the CEO salary to $150,000 which by the way is less than my Director's salary, would not save the company during hard times. That math doesn't make any sense whatsoever...

Pie in the sky. Like you said, CEO 's will make decisions in the companies interests.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#120
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington;1528809[B

]Cutting the CEO salary to $150,000 which by the way is less than my Director's salary, would not save the company during hard times. That math doesn't make any sense whatsoever...[/B]

Pie in the sky. Like you said, CEO 's will make decisions in the companies interests.

Time you got in tune with the real world. $150,000 is a little less than half of what the President of the U.S. earns, I think he has a little more responsibility than your Director!
 

Similar Threads

8
How CEOs steal from your 401(k)
by Tyr | Mar 16th, 2009
9
CEOs break new ground
by BitWhys | Apr 26th, 2006
no new posts