Smoking in sight of young people criminal offense

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Should it be a criminal offense to smoke within 1000 feet of a person under age 25? Penalty should be $1000 fine if it's a young woman, $100 fine if it's a young man, as young women are far more influenced by the sight of someone smoking. If it's a cigar the fine automatically doubles.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
roflmfao....I can't believe this guy is taking this thread seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Should it be a criminal offense to smoke within 1000 feet of a person under age 25? Penalty should be $1000 fine if it's a young woman, $100 fine if it's a young man, as young women are far more influenced by the sight of someone smoking. If it's a cigar the fine automatically doubles.

I think - building on this fine idea - that a smokers registry should be set up by the federal government. This would be similar to the gun registry or the sex offenders registry. We could then hire additional police officers or CSIS agents to secretly monitor the activities of the smokers so that effective enforcement of the law could be carried out efficiently. The fines above are OK, but I think you'll need to differentiate the cigarettes...like regular, king size, and 100 mm...and the fines could be adjusted depending on the length of the cigarette.

Ditto for cigars...you can't just levy a fine based on a cigar...you'd have to determine if it was a cigarillo, a "crookette" (skinny one), or a big fat Havana special. Now, what about pipes? Don't forget they are have to be included, unless of course it's one of those water things used for smoking dope. That of course should be legalized, I've heard.

We then come to the issue of lighters and matches, which are integral parts of the criminal act. After all, what good is a cigarette if you can't light it? So, there should be special licences issued for those things, and of course, they could only be issued to people with a good reason to have them (like those with wood stoves for heating) and they would have to prove competence in their use through an extensive government testing program. And guidelines would have to be established as to when and where they could be used in open sight of young men and women. After all, "flicking your Bic" in public would certainly lead to uncontrolled depravity in the streets.

Additionally, a crack team of academic people would have to be assembled to review the entire process as they are above average in every way, including their insight into what is wrong and what is right. This board of special people would have the responsibility of overseeing the enforcement of the new laws and regulations as ultimately, they hold the future of Canada in their hands.

As we all know, this activity is conspicuous by its absence in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and thus, should be treated not only as a crime by those who know everything, but also as a potential threat to National Security.

Lastly, we would need to seek guidance in our pursuit of the criminals who smoke, and I believe the best qualified folks to consult would be select members of our First Nations, who have the most experience in this area. (That would only apply if my understanding of where tobacco use originated is correct. If not, I apologize and withdraw the suggestion.)

Once we deal with this threat to our society, we could then move on to other critical issues such as the overconsumption of poutine, the breakfast cereal crisis (the ones with sugar), the elimination of religion (that would require an amendment to the Charter, of course, thus making it a more long term goal), the complete elimination of the consumption of alcoholic beverages (because that is a dangerous habit too), a crackdown on cell phones (to eliminate brain cancer from heavy use), the elimination of priimary power lines from any inhabited area (dangerous if you live near them), the end of cheering at public events such as hockey games (damage to hearing could result, not to mention the stress), and finally, the elimination of automobiles in our society - the obvious cause of many deaths and injuries every year.

If we keep working on it, we'll eventually get the mess cleaned up so that everyone can live in safety, peace, and happiness. So when do we start?

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Don't you think we have enough conflicting laws making lawyers rich?

Hey LW, my "contribution" to the rather obvious tongue-in-cheek suggestion by JLM was to add a bit of fun to the effort. It's been stressful watching the Olympics and I needed to let off a bit of steam (especially after the cliffhanger hockey game)...

And in answer to your question...NO! We have TOO MANY conflicting laws making lawyers rich and confusing the general public. It's a real bloody mess, created by those who are under the mistaken impression that you can simply substitute mountains of legislation for common sense and individual judgement.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
*X2*

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun

book the offenders with attempted murder by means of second hand smoke and give them life, with no chance of parole and solitary confinement

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think - building on this fine idea - that a smokers registry should be set up by the federal government. This would be similar to the gun registry or the sex offenders registry. We could then hire additional police officers or CSIS agents to secretly monitor the activities of the smokers so that effective enforcement of the law could be carried out efficiently. The fines above are OK, but I think you'll need to differentiate the cigarettes...like regular, king size, and 100 mm...and the fines could be adjusted depending on the length of the cigarette.

ROTFLMAO..........:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Factory smoke and vehicle exhaust kill people not cigarettes

JLM shut down the factories and make fossil fuels illegal for vehicles and let the smokers enjoy their products

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I am actually going to be serious here for a moment....in a (futile) attempt to point out to the statist, health Nazi, anti-smoking control freaks how completely over the edge they are.....

My Mom lives in a nursing home, a quite attractive place that sits on a bit of a hill. She has never smoked a cigarette in her life. Now, you're all familiar with nursing homes, the last stop.......full of people in their 80s and 90s.....

Now, some of these folks smoke. Some of them have smoked for 70 years (or more).......and quitting at the age of 85 is hardly going to length their lifespan......now:

These poor unfortunates are, of course NOT allowed by LAW to smoke inside the residence, despite the fact it is their HOME........so, if they want to engage in their past time....and who are we to tell them they can not?......they must go and sit outside, rain or shine, summer or winter, storm or calm......an insult to them, IMHO....an affront to their age, totally disrespectful.....

But it gets worse.

When you approached the home, you often saw a small group, sitting in their wheelchairs, gathered together outside the only entrance easily available to them.....smoking and chatting among themselves.

THE HORROR!

Recently posted : government signs which warn of dire consequence if anyone should be caught smoking within 25 meters of the entrance to any public building.......25 meters!!!!!

And this on the top of a hill! I can only imagine the result of several of these poor old buggers pushing their wheelchairs over the crest in an attempt to get far enough away that it would be acceptable to the bloody bureaucrats.........to say nothing of their attempts to return!!

Idiotic.

I want ten minutes in a back alley with the bureaucratic arsehole that actually posted the signs....just him and me....with a Louisville Slugger Attitude Adjustment Device......

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah, let's go totally nanny state.
JLM, are you losing it?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
JLM - most of the fines would be to people under the age of 25! Out of the many people I work with, nearly all the smokers are about 20 and a few in their mid 30's. Hardly anyone over age 40 smokes anymore.