Oath of Allegiance

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I find it a bit hypocritical for Canada to expect new imigrants to swear an oath that a lot of Canadian Citizens would not want to swear. I would never want to swear allegiance to the Queen. Fortunatly, I didn't have to. The oath should be to Canada itself not some British figurehead.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I find it a bit hypocritical for Canada to expect new imigrants to swear an oath that a lot of Canadian Citizens would not want to swear. I would never want to swear allegiance to the Queen. Fortunatly, I didn't have to. The oath should be to Canada itself not some British figurehead.

Second that. I would have a hard time swearing an oath to the Queen at this point in my life.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I too would have a hard time swearing allegence to the queen then I think if that were not so, I would have to swear allegence to Harper and that would be a hell of a lot worse lol.
At least with a relationship to Britain we have not been totally swallowed up by uncle sam even in name.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I too would have a hard time swearing allegence to the queen then I think if that were not so, I would have to swear allegence to Harper and that would be a hell of a lot worse lol.
At least with a relationship to Britain we have not been totally swallowed up by uncle sam even in name.

I certainly wouldn't swear any kind of oath to Harper or the Queen. I think I would swear my allegiance to the Trailer Park Boys before either of the 2 mentioned.

philip2

Oct 22, 2007
coronation oath

The Coronation Oath.
That the legislation of the king was of no authority over a jury, is further proved by the oath taken by the kings at their coronation. This oath seems to have been substantially the same, from the time of the Saxon kings, down to the seventeenth century, as will be seen from the authorities hereafter given.
The purport of the oath is, that the king swears to maintain the law of the land - that is, the common law. In other words, he swears "to concede and preserve to the English people the laws and customs conceded to them by the ancient, just, and pious English kings, and especially the laws, customs, and liberties conceded to the clergy and people by the illustrious king Edward;" and "the just laws and customs which the common people have chosen, (quas vulgus elegit)."
These are the same laws and customs which were called by the general name of "the law of the land," or "the common law," and, with some slight additions, were embodied in Magna Carta.
This oath not only forbids the king to enact any statutes contrary to the common law, but it proves that his statutes could be of no authority over the consciences of a jury; since, as has already been sufficiently shown, it was one part of this very common law itself, - that is, of the ancient "laws, customs, and liberties," mentioned in the oath, - that juries should judge of all questions that came before them, according to their own consciences, independently of the legislation of the king.
The rather facile oath uttered by the Queen comes from Parliament starting with William and Mary 1688, really giving Power to the government and taking it away from the people.
Everyone who uses the word Democracy should be made to define it, thus: Supreme power vested in the people upheld by Trial by Jury,this is in a true democracy. However read section 11 (f) Charter of Rights and Freedoms, guess what we don't have Trtial by Jury in Canada an inalienable right from Magna Carta, so the Charter is illegal and void.
People talk about democracy, however T by J = DEMOCRACY.
The definitive work on this matter and understanding Common Law, the law of the people can be obtained by reading Lysander Spooner, a brilliant Latin scholar-the article, Trial by Jury. Have fun reading it. Philip2. Should be taught in schools!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
teacher in grade 2 made us sing god save the queen

what a god-awful national anthem that is. Not only is it incredibly boring and dull, so much so that even the queen of england actually got so bored with it that she decreed only one verse should be sung at events at which she was present, but it's actually based on a song called "america".

Northboy

Electoral Member

Ah, but would it have the same focus, pledging allegience to Canada??

Remember such an oath is a bond not only with the land, but also the People...

If you can live with that, Good on you...

I personally feel that acknowledging the "Mother" is not a burden as the Crown has had its moments of inspiration that I wouldn't want to lose...not at this time anyway...

McDonald

Nominee Member
Jan 23, 2006
Chicoutimi, Québec
www.myspace.com
what a god-awful national anthem that is. Not only is it incredibly boring and dull, so much so that even the queen of england actually got so bored with it that she decreed only one verse should be sung at events at which she was present, but it's actually based on a song called "america".

God Save the Queen is not based on the song 'My Country Tis of Thee'. They both use the same tune which is a very commonly used tune for royal anthems all over the world. And I should think that God Save the King/Queen is older than the American version.

And what's so awful about it anyway? You're making a value judgement based on what? Your own musical tastes or your own half-baked political views? Great reason to insult hundreds of years of Commonwealth and Empire tradition. I mean, you're aware of Canada's important membership in the Commonwealth and our history in the British Empire, right?

I guess that means nothing to some people, who'd probably go into shock if they didn't receive their daily fix of American TV.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
My family [except my ex-dad] did that couple years ago
It was...glorifying and most humble experience.
I think rather despising it.. I rather enjoyed the moment swearing into the allegiance to the Queen..and Canada.
[Its just me hehe]

warrior_won

Time Out
Nov 21, 2007

I don't understand how swearing allegiance to the Queen means that you're not American. Why can't you swear allegiance to Canada and not be American. Or is it just that it's American-like to be patriotic to one's own country?

Personally, I think it's time for Canada to grow up and become its own country. That means not swearing allegiance to the Queen of another country. It also means doing things because it's the right thing to do, not because you want to differentiate yourself from your neighbour.

I think it sad that certain members of the Canadian establishment are so hell bent on "not being American" that they're happy to settle for being a nobody.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
That or any oath doesn't mean squat to Canadian politicians so why on earth should it mean anything to the average Canadian?

The oath that Canadian politicians make is very similar to that of politicians found in oppressive regimes around the world.....

"Through this appointment to the government of my country I am given complete authority and freedom from all standards of morality and duty. I can lie to the people with impunity, steal from the people and use my authority and office to avoid all responsibility for my decisions and actions."

In the event that anyone disagrees with my behavior and my attitude, I have the right to deny everything and hide behind a complicated camouflage of rhetoric and double-talk constantly refined by lawyers at exorbitant cost to the people of my nation. Denial and disingenuousness are the fabric of my soul and spirit and I can ignore the plight and suffering of anyone and eveyone who does not contribute in some form to my continued office and authority.

Politicians are scum.....never forget that!

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
First of all God Save the Queen is not our anthem. Our anthem if O CANADA for those who remember the words. We may be member of the Commonwealth but we are our own country and rule ourselves. The Queen has no say in what out government does or says, hell even we don't have that power.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I never had any problem with swearing allegiance to the Queen or trying my best to live up to the oath either, Took it in 1967 when I joined The Royal Mail:smile: