use of the word "Canuck"

p27159

Jan 30, 2007
Hi. I am from the USA, and I have a question about the use of the word Canuck. Now I know there's a hockey team called the Canucks, but I was wondering if a person could be called a Canuck and take it as an insult, much like here in the US when African Americans can be called "Nigger" by a white person (but they call themselves that all the time and it's OK in that context).

Please let me know what you think, because I've heard that it can be insulting, or that it probably isn't, and I'd like to know straight from Canadians. Thank you.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It shouldn't bother anyone. It's not considered a derogatory word.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I disagree. The C word is like the N word. As long as C's are using the former, it's fine. But most C's dislike non-nationals using it. It becomes a putdown.

Sаbine

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2007
...The C word is like the N word. ....
What does the "N word" mean?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yeah, I don't find "Canuck" derogatory at all, not at all like nigger........there was even a comic book around in the 40s....Captain Canuck.....I can't imagine a comic book put out by the NAACP called Captain Nigger....... :) :)

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Sаbine;776863 said:
What does the "N word" mean?

Starts with N. Rhymes with igger. (I'm not allowed to say it because I'm not one)

I would bet 1 or 2% of Canadians would have a problem with Canuck. You can't please everybody.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Geez.

Nigger.

It is a word. Unless it is used as a weapon against someone, or in a derogatory sense, it is just a word.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I like being called a "Canuck", it just accentuates the fact that I am a canadian, and I like that too.

I had an American acquaintance many years ago, and I was having a conversation with him, and I

referred to him as a Yankee, and he was "very" offended. I was so surprised, and I said to him, why

would you have a baseball team called the "Yankees" if it is offensive, and he said that is different,

I still don't understand that concept. Being called a Canuck is not "rude" or "offensive", unless of

course it was part of an angry insulting arguement, and meant in that way.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Geez.

Nigger.

It is a word. Unless it is used as a weapon against someone, or in a derogatory sense, it is just a word.

Exactly. a word that is used so often, especially by young people, I wonder that it still has the ability to harm others!

Hi. I am from the USA, and I have a question about the use of the word Canuck. Now I know there's a hockey team called the Canucks, but I was wondering if a person could be called a Canuck and take it as an insult, much like here in the US when African Americans can be called "Nigger" by a white person (but they call themselves that all the time and it's OK in that context).

Please let me know what you think, because I've heard that it can be insulting, or that it probably isn't, and I'd like to know straight from Canadians. Thank you.

I can't imagine any Canuck taking it offensively. Heck, we call ourselves Canucks all the time

Last edited by a moderator:

p27159

Jan 30, 2007
thanks for the input everyone!

Thanks for the input. It appears the vast majority would not find it insulting. Not that I would choose to use this term in the event I run into the 10% or so that DO find it offensive, but I was just curious. I was having a debate with a guy who writes a newsletter, and he reported on a Canadian brochure (I think from saskatchewan) that had several obvious typographical errors, and the newsletter author made a snide remark that was something like "...proving Canuck schools are just as good as American schools." (you would have to know about how many people in the USA are very critical of our education system to understand that this is a put-down of the Canadian schools). I told the guy that I thought the use of the term Canuck was a poor one, given that I had heard that this term may be offensive to some people. He shot back that I was too "politically correct". Maybe so, but I try to live life so I don't go out oif my way to offend people where it is completely unnecessary, and I wouldn't appreciate a slang term being used against my heritage, so why should it be Ok for someone else to do it. That's where I was coming from. (Never mind the fact that typographical errors and editor ovesight/laziness has nothing to do with the educational system of Canada nor the intelligence of the people who live there, which seemed to escape the newsletter author).

Well, I knew I could count on the people here to give me the answer to my question. Thanks again.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
as with any word, intent is key.

If you were to walk up to me in the street and say "hey, are you a Canuck?", I'd say yes.

If you were to be pissed off and say "you useless Canuck!", I'd say it's offensive.

If you use it as a neutral word, it's all good. But, good luck, not everyone agrees with me apparently. lol